1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA owners to discuss league proposal to put advertisements on jerseys

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, the Jazz still sold the sponsorhip to Qualtrics, no? Are they really being charitable for selling ad space?

Do we even know if Utah is still taking full price for the logo? Maybe it is just Qualtrics who is doing the "donation to charity." Instead of promoting themselves, they might be the actual philanthropists here....whereby Utah takes the fee for the logo placement, and Qualtrics gives it up for charity. Of course, the cynics could further say that Qualtrics probably realizes a logo isn't going to achieve much promotion for their business or products, so they decided to take a tax write-off and good PR, instead.

anyhoot, if we find out that Utah sold the placement to Qualtrics for full price, then they are in no way the charitable ones here. That would be like saying a billboard company is being charitable by selling ad space to FiveForTheFight.

btw: that logo patch does look great.

2. heypartner

With some quick googling, looks like Qualtrics is indeed the charitable company here and not the Utah Jazz. Are the Jazz actually trying to gain PR points by making it sound like they didn't sell the ad space, but rather gave it to FiveForTheFight, instead.

Looks like the deal is for Qualtrics to pay $4m per year for that ad space. So, they then give it to FiveForTheFight as part of Qualtrics' own charitable giving....making the Jazz paid ad space sellers for what Qualtrics is doing.

The Utah Jazz Sign Jersey Sponsor Deal With Qualtrics' Cancer Charity

The Philadelphia 76ers (StubHub) and Sacramento Kings (Blue Diamond) inked deals worth $5 million annually, while the Brooklyn Nets (Infor) and Boston Celtics (General Electric) are expected to command at least $8 million per year. Qualtrics did not release financial terms of the deal, but it is estimated to be worth $4 million per year.
    Utah clearly sold the ad space for big bucks. Praising them for being charitable is kinda like praising an billboard company for selling ad space to FiveForTheFight. Maybe that's a discount rate, although Boston and NYC markets would surely garner top rates for ads (compared to the Utah market),,,,but $4m a year, is $4m.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That Utah ad is like the typical robot takes over mankind scenario.

Utah: We bought this logo to cure cancer.
    Utah: Logo, why are you killing me?
    Logo: Programming says to cure cancer. We have found that you are a form of cancer.
    Utah: Nooooooooo.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Love to see NBA jersey look like NASCAR vehicles. ;)

[​IMG]

Mazulis likes this.
  5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Oh boy, this does raise concerns. I'll just take your word for it (don't have free time to research Qualtrics) and resume my hatred (now emboldened) for all things Utah Jazz.

Edit: Just saw your investigative research did uncover the truth behind Utah's 'philanthropy'. Now it's time to expose those bastards on social media.

And yeah, they (Qualtrics' design team?) did a nice job on the patch.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Bevel chicklet with shadow... eww! :eek:

Was this made in MS paint?

Richie_Rich and J.R. like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

A better sponsor would be...

[​IMG]

Xerobull and ghettocheeze like this.
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

With new head coach...

[​IMG]

11. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

[​IMG] If any I think we getting this one,or[​IMG]

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing for Harden's jersey. A treasures logo on his Jersey!

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. heypartner

The Clippers will sport the patches on their jerseys starting Tuesday night, but they’re not going to be called patches. In keeping with the theme of gender equality, they’re going to be called “empowerment badges.”
    I don't know what that means...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because you're not WOKE.

heypartner likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The only time I ever think about, notice, or remember these patches is when there's some article like this.

There's a lot of people out there, so maybe its effective advertisement for some.

But before reading this last page of this thread, if someone would have asked me to name 1 jersey patch sponsor, I think I would have gotten it wrong.

Stadium names, on the other hand, I know more than a handful of, because you're always seeing it in articles, in upcoming games, on shots to and back from commercials, etc. Staples Center. Toyota Center. Comcast. Amway. Orcale. Reliant. Fedex. Gillette. AT&T Center. American Airlines Center. Don't know em all, but a good amount...

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Why on earth would you pay good money to sponsor such a sh1tty-ass team that is actively tanking? With all the sexual misconduct allegations hanging over them, no less?

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it looks tacky and there hasn't been a positive trade-off for fans (i.e., fewer TV timeouts). Also lol at "empowerment badge." There's a PR executive out there who thinks they really made a difference with that one.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member