1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Officiating at an all-time low.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Apr 23, 2000.

Tags:
  1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Geez, this is just ridiculous! These guys just took the game away fom Sacramento by calling the 5th on Webber.

I can'T stand the petty touch fouls they keep calling. Let the guy's play the damn game!

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

2. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Cabbage patch...I was going to post a similar thread myself.

Is it me or are they just allowing Shaq to "dislodge" at will this game. I understand the fact that Shaq is a larger individual who will force more impact when he spins or goes to the hoop. But simple fact of the matter is he is dipping his shoulder into a defender on almost every move to the basket and bumping the defender under the bucket. This after all the new rule changes this year which were not supposed to allow this to happen. Am I to believe that the refs cant even get it right for one hole season? Now Im positive that if a defender were to brace himself and bump back with equal or greater force to offset this move a foul would be called. So how is anyone supposed to guard him?

BTW: Is it me or is Steve Javy the equivalent to a MLB umpire on a baseball court. That man is horrible with his array of T's and bad calls.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Javy thinks he's more important than the players on the court. It's as if he thinks people are actually paying to watch him blow a whistle, rather than to see NBA action. I sincerely hope his hothead personality leads to a personal vendetta against the wrong player, and he suffers a similar fate to that of Jake O'donnell.

As far as Shaq, he's basically going to be allowed to do whatever he wants, rules or no rules. The NBA is desperate right now for something to excite people, and marketing certain players is their only hope (always has been since Stern took over). Our only hope here is that their ratings go in the tank BADLY, Stern resigns and the marketing aspect of it disappears. Maybe we could get back to the way it was in the 80s and before, when the true fans were the ones watching the games and the telecasters were just calling it like it was (anyone remember when CBS did the NBA, Dick Stockton and Tom Heinsohn?).

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Great point Freak.

Why is it a telecaster can see a foul called, claim it was valid. See the replay show it wasn't and either.

a. Still say "I think it was a good call" or
    b. Make 1 of a million excuses as to the refs not having instant replay.

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I find it interesting that the turner channels do not kiss the NBA's tush (regardless of any legal agreements) whereas NBC's dumb & dumber duo of Costas and Lurch aggressively defend the refs.

------------------

6. mhan

mhan Member

i am going to have to disagree with you guys and say that the kings have no business complaining about the officiating. according to the new rules, you are not supposed to impede someone when they are running through the paint to the other side of the floor. glen rice is hit everytime he does it, and no call.

kobe bryant took it to the hole numerous times and got hit numerous times and he went got two free throws.

shaq was constantly fouled on just about every shot, and no calls. he got five free throws. watching the game, vlade should have had his third by the 7 min mark of the first quarter.

the two offensive fouls called on webber against horry were ridiculous. one of them, horry didn't even flop. webber just bumped his butt into horry and the refs called the o. even horry was surprised by that call.

BUT, the kings, who took most of their shots from the perimeter, got 35 free throws to the lakers 14. ummmm, isn't this supposed to be on the lakers home floor? they got spotted 21 points (converting 16) from the charity stripe and they are complaining about the calls? pure bs. officiating was at least as bad for the lakers as it was for the kings, if not worse.

------------------