1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

NBA is having discussions about a play-in tournament

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 22, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zach Lowe:

Recent comments from NBA commissioner Adam Silver about tweaking the league's playoff format drew intense media coverage, but sources say there is also some behind-the-scenes momentum for the idea of a play-in tournament determining the last two seeds in each conference -- to the point that two specific proposals are circulating at the highest levels within teams and the league office.

The play-in proposal that has generated the most discussion, according to several sources: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth, and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game nabbing the seventh spot, sources say. Meanwhile, the ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

The implementation of a play-in tournament is not imminent. It falls behind the one-and-done rule and perhaps reseeding the playoffs 1-16 regardless of conference in the current reform pecking order. (It could go hand-in-hand with that change, only with one play-in tournament instead of separate brackets for each conference.)

It is not coming next season, and it would be a shock if the NBA adopted it in time for 2020 or even 2021. It may never happen. Any such change would need approval from the competition committee, and then from a supermajority of 23 NBA teams. That process has not even started.

[MORE at the link]​

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds really stupid. Don't understand why it has to be so complicated. Just do 1-16, case closed. Why the hell give the 1st seed a potentially even easier opponent lol.

Crashlanded19, juanm34 and da_juice like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I assume that the play-in results would not affect the lottery positions. Otherwise, teams might still prefer taking a chance in the lottery than facing certain sweep by the top team.

RyanB and da_juice like this.
  4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

It would give at least some incentive for some teams to hover around the 9th and 10th seeds, especially with how many times a tiebreaker has forced someone out of playoff contention. I kinda like the idea because those teams right outside of the playoff bubble often don't have enough time after their playoff hopes end and too much talent to tank their way to a higher draft pick anyways.

RyanB, hakeem94, Easy and 3 others like this.
  5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Why not? giving the 1 seed an easier ride through the playoffs only validates the regular season more.

hakeem94 and BigMaloe like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I actually like the proposal

hakeem94, BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see the incentive for a team to make the playoffs and get swept by a 1-seed. I guess playoff revenue is motivation for owners.

I would rather the league switch to 1-16 seeding. The travel concerns are minimal with one day in between each game and it would be a fairer representation of the best teams in the league.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Why are people so obsessed with changing things when the league is doing so well? Even the whole 1-16 playoff seeding is ridiculous. The game is great. Don’t change what’s been used the past few decades. It changes the history of the game.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  9. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

If they were to do that they should eliminate conferences too, since teams that play in the West would have more difficult games compared to the East teams. So play everyone 2-3 times to make it the full 82 game schedule "rivalries" you will always play them 3 times and teams you play 2 games with one year the next year you have to play them 3 times.

10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Playing the 16th positioned team would give them a VERY easy opponent. I think their scared there will be shorter series and a worse competitive balance if they only did 1-16. Teams can get hot at the end of the season and steal a play-in spot and possibly do some damage in the playoffs. I doubt it would happen often, but there's a chance.

11. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

So, are you telling me that, say, the 2012 Rockets team wouldn't have wanted a chance to enter the playoffs? We finished 9th that year, just behind the Mavs and Jazz. I think this could work quite well, especially if they keep the "final standings" for the draft (meaning, if you finished 9th or 10th, but make it into the playoffs, your draft is not negatively impacted), what they heck wouldn't a 9th or 10th place team want a chance to play?? There's always a chance of pulling off an upset, especially considering how teams match up has a LOT to do with outcome, not to mention more money.

RyanB and da_juice like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

It is an antitanking move.
    It gives incentive from teams in the range 4-5 to 11-12 to not throw games in the end of the season.
    With the compensation of puting the 7th and 8th seeds in the lottery as well, they would be much better off than right now.

On the downside there will be far less sellers in the trade deadline.
    Only outright horrible teams with single digit wins would sell off and go all in on the tank in February.

RyanB, da_juice and JayGoogle like this.
  13. thething

thething Contributing Member

That's not necessarily a true statement that it causes worse competitive balance. In the current system, if the conferences are unbalanced, the 1 seed could be playing the team with the 18th or 19th best record in the league, or the 11th or 12th best team. There is just more variance.

T FOR 3!!! likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

If they did this, which isn’t bad at all, would open up about a week or so of rest for playoff teams to rest and get healthy. Smart.

Also, if you drop the first round to 5 game series, this also would help. Kinda gives you the opportunity for a potential Cinderella story. A 10th seed knocking off the 2 seed would be stunning.

But i don’t like double elimination and possible backdoor entries. Instead my proposal is following

Top 18 teams from either conference. Play in games are sudden death or best of 3

15v18
    16v17

Leads to a 16 team field. 1st round is best of 5 and 2nd round forward is best of 7.

#14 BigMaloe, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Jayzers_100 and da_juice like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They play more games, they lose to the 1st, 2nd seed in 9 of 10 cases.

They get more fatigued.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Abolish divisions, not conferences. Eastern conference and western conference play the teams in conference more often because of travel reasons.

You still play more games than not in conference to keep travel cost, time and frequency down.

Easy likes this.
  17. BigO

BigO Member

Sounds pretty cool, this gives more too play for, for lesser teams, less tanking which i think is their major goal right there, so extra for the fans because they can speculate/get interested in, i don't know why people here would be against it, new things are cool, new things that are great are even more cooler, i'm all in.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mentioned this in another thread so I like the idea.

Just to discourage tanking, as long as the lotto positions are set that is and they extend the lottery to include the 7th and 8th seeds.

(Wouldn't that mean the 6th seed would tank?)
    Maybe, but the 6th seed is usually in a tighter race with the seeds above them. This year, both 6th seeds have a shot at being 3 seeds, so I don't think these teams would rather tank.

The big thing this does is make the NBA more competitive. You won't see all the trades and less sellers, but now there would be a race for the 10th seed. It makes more games relevant. Now a game between the Hornets and Knicks is a relevant game, because the 10th seed is at stake.

It just makes more teams relevant to the playoff chase which in the end, makes the regular season more exciting.

Also, as NCAA fans know, one game playoffs are very exciting for basketball. I think the owners would EASILY accept this, it's more revenue and the players would too because it's another game check. I would not be surprised if it happened, especially before the 1-16 thing, I think there is little chance that happens.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We already have the lotto system that deals with tanking. If a team wants to tank, let them tank.

Do away with divisions. They offer little as it is.

Seed it 1-16. There is no need to make it anymore complicated than that.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Only if they go back to the 5 game first round like in the 90s. Playoffs are already too long...