1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

nba insider - Small trades, big impact

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidkconover, Feb 28, 2012.

1. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

Posted on ESPN. Chad Ford. Lock if already posted. Hate... hate the idea. Normally a big Ford fan but can't believe that he things we improve with Shumpert/Flynn over Dragic/Lee (not taking in to account who Lee could net in a trade).

4. The Houston Rockets trade PG Goran Dragic to the New York Knicks for SG Iman Shumpert

Why the teams should make this trade: Jeremy Lin has provided the Knicks with a tremendous lift since becoming their starting point guard. However, the Knicks are a disaster when he comes out of the game. Retreads Baron Davis, Mike Bibby and Toney Douglas simply are not the answer when Lin sits.

Shumpert's minutes will drop after the Knicks' acquisition of J.R. Smith, and Dragic would be the perfect security blanket for New York. He was a backup to Steve Nash in Phoenix, and although Dragic's star has faded since arriving in Houston, where he's averaged just 19.5 mpg, he would be a perfect guard for Mike D'Antoni's system. He is an efficient guard who has shown the ability to run pick-and-rolls and attack the rim with confidence, and he is shooting 44 percent from the field.

Shumpert has good size at 6-foot-5 and is a tremendous athlete. He is extremely quick in transition and finishes at the rim, and he could provide coach Kevin McHale with a lockdown perimeter defender. At 20-14, the Rockets are a team headed in the right direction. Picking up Shumpert would give the Rockets the flexibility to trade Courtney Lee and move Jonny Flynn into Dragic's minutes as the backup point guard.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7624012/nba-five-trade-ideas-a-big-impact

2. Aussie_Fozzey

Aussie_Fozzey Member

Sounds good to me

3. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

wow, that's r****ded.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I wouldn't hate the deal simply because it would avoid losing Dragic for nothing (or having to pay him too much to be a backup PG).

Obviously Flynn is not a long-term answer at backup PG, and Dragic/Lee is certainly better. But, Shumpert would be a nice guy to have if we end up trading Martin or Lee (perhaps netting a different backup PG in return).

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Moronic.

We're not helping New York

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shumpert has been dramatically more efficient from the 2. No way the Knicks do that. And if I were them I'd have Shumpert and Fields manning the 2, not Smith.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why? We don't need wings unless they're a star player or have star potential.

8. Pete the Cheat

Shumpert has the makings of a lockdown defender, but the guy is a straight chucker.

9. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

I hate all this Goran Dragic trade talk. I don't trust anyone with our bench besides him.

10. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

I would just give them Flynn for free if they could promise playing him for 20 minutes per game:p

2 people like this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Besides him, Lee, and PatPat.

12. R=$

R=$ Member

Change in Team Outlook: +2.2 ppg, -0.0 rpg, and +1.0 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Iman Shumpert
    21.5 year old , 6-5, 209 lb G from Georgia Tech
    10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.2 apg in 30.1 minutes
    Toney Douglas
    25.5 year old , 6-2, 190 lb G from Florida State
    7.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 20.8 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Goran Dragic
    25.5 year old , 6-4, 180 lb G from Union Olimpija (Slovenia)
    7.5 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.4 apg in 19.5 minutes in 2011-2012
    Chase Budinger
    23.5 year old , 6-7, 218 lb F from Arizona
    8.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.0 apg in 19.6 minutes in 2011-2012

:)

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Shumpert has a lot of potential

very athletic and fast, doesn't seem to be dumb...but I also like Dragic..

they can have Flynn and someone else..

14. VBG

VBG Member

That's flawed analysis since Shump + Touglas play almost 12 more MPG than Bud + Dragic

I wouldn't mind the trade IF we were trading and getting Pau Gasol and losing Kevin Martin.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At first glance, this seems like a Knicks wet dream. But Shumpert's stock IS rising as he looks better and better out there. That said, Goran has a bunch of upside, will probably be part of a bigger trade or resigned, and as already mentioned, we don't want to help the Knicks. Now, supposing for a second that there is some truth to this. I'd imagine it's part of a bigger deal where the Knicks pick goes out .......

#15 Plowman, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

If we moved Martin then maybe, but without a move it would hurt our rotation too much.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

This... The author seems to somehow have gotten the impression that Flynn is a serviceable backup stuck behind Dragic.

Garbage trade for the Rockets.

18. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

No. Iman Shumpert is clueless at PG. Knicks were in trouble when Iman as PG on the court. We have TWill who is much better than Iman.

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That's pretty interesting, I'm not sure how I would feel about losing Gragic, but Shump has a ton of potential!

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Huh? Knicks want cap space for run at guys this summer. To keep GD they'd have to pony up more than they want to commit. Chance of occurring? Zilcho.