1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA GOATs Matchup2 WEST

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by RedNation, Jun 24, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

This is the 2nd matchup in the Western conference. The judging criteria is based on the following:

Frontcourt- Who has the better FC

Backcourt- Who has the better BC

Bench- WHo has the better bench

Offense- Which team has the better overall team offense. Which teams offense would run smoother and be more effective.

Defense- Which team plays better defense? This includes team defense as well as individual defense

Chemistry- which team would have better chemistry and work together better. For example, a team full of scorers who like to keep the ball in their hands wouldn't work very well.

Based on these categories, you will determine the winner. IN THE END, WHO WILL WIN A 7 GAME SERIES

The second matchup features:
    Horry33:
    pg:Walt "Clyde" Frazier
    sg:Clyde "The Glide" Drexler
    sf:Julius "Dr.J" Earving
    pf:Wes "Outlet Pass" Unseld
    C: Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon

Bench:
    G;Earl "The Pearl" Monroe
    F:Chris "Mully" Mullin
    C:Dolph "The Horse" Shayes

VS.

RocketsRed14
    PG - Tim Hardaway
    SG - Kobe Bryant
    SF - James Worthy
    PF - Kevin Garnett
    C - Bill Walton
    Bench:
    G: Chauncey Billups
    F: Ron Artest
    C: Arvydas Sabonis

#1 RedNation, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Frontcourt- Who has the better FC

Dr. J > Worthy
    Garnett > Unseld
    Dream > Walton

Thus, advantage Horry33.

Backcourt- Who has the better BC

Clyde Frazier > Tim Hardaway
    Clyde Drexler < Kobe Bryant

I'm going to give the advantage to RocketsRed14. Frazier would be able to slow down Hardaway, but I think there just would be too much offensive talent from RocketRed14's backcourt

Sabonis could stretch the floor and bring Dolph Schayes away from the basket. Artest and Billups both good two way players. However, I'm going to give the edge to Horry33. Earl Monroe and Schayes are both hall of famers.

Offense- Which team has the better overall team offense. Which teams offense would run smoother and be more effective.

I'm giving the slight advantage to RocketsRed14. Timmy leading the break with Kobe and Worthy on the wings and then having KG and Walton on the block make for a bit more offensive talent.

Defense- Which team plays better defense? This includes team defense as well as individual defense

The advantage here goes to Horry33 mainly because of Hakeem and Clyde Frazier. While RocketsRed14 does have KG and to a lesser extent Walton and some defensive talent coming off the bench, I think Horry33 has more team defense.

Chemistry- which team would have better chemistry and work together better. For example, a team full of scorers who like to keep the ball in their hands wouldn't work very well.

Push here... I don't either side would have an advantage chemistry wise.

Based on these categories, you will determine the winner. IN THE END, WHO WILL WIN A 7 GAME SERIES

Overall, a very intriguing and close matchup. Horry33 in 7 over RocketsRed14.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Horry33 leads 1-0

4. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Horry33

Chemistry- The chemistry between Hakeem and Drexler is undeniable. They played on formidable teams during the Phi Slamma Jamma days at UofH and again on the way to the second Houston Rockets championship. Hakeem even choose Drexler to present Hakeem at his Hall of Fame enshrinement. And guess who Drexler had previously chosen to present him at his own Hall of Fame enshrinement? None other than Dr. J. That’s a lot of respect and love being shown between the best three players on my team. Need more chemistry? How about the fact that Wes Unseld and Earl Monroe were a perfect combination of inside and outside when they played together for the Baltimore Bullets. And what about when Monroe went on to New York and teamed with Walt Frazier to form what was known as the “Rolls Royce Backcourt” which lead the Knicks to the 1973 NBA championship. And during that run to the championship there was a young ball player growing up in New York that was studying the games of Knicks stars Frazier and Monroe and that player was a young Chris Mullin. Between Unseld, Monroe, Frazier, Mullin, Dr. J, Drexler, and Hakeem my players have a lot of experience winning with one another or looking up to one another in admiration. Oh and I didn’t forget about Dolph Shayes. Shayes, one of 7 nba top 50 players on my team, is the elder statesman on the team and like his teammates Erving and Mullin is a tough New York born baller. Again the links between my players off the court and the successful playing experiences on the court make my teams' chemistry the strongest of all the teams.

#4 Horry33, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Bump for judges

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Walt vs. Hardaway: Walt is the more complete player and gets the nod over Tim.

Drexler vs. Kobe: Have to give it to Clyde, Kobe never had to face a SG with Clyde's body and skill package. Clyde dominates on both ends in a way that Kobe only did on offense.

->backcourt: Walt and Drexler win the starter's matchup, Earl is better than Chauncey imo. Edge for Horry.

Dr. J vs. Worthy: Uh wee, another epic duel. Have to give it to Worthy because he's unstoppable in his prime and one of the best transition players and defenders(when he wanted to) of his era. J was a mediocre defender and couldn't really shoot outside of 15ft, he benefited from slow defenders. Worthy would torch him up on offense and contain him as best as it gets on defense.

Wes vs. KG: Wes was a subpar athlete and heavily undersized. Sorry, but he would get killed in the modern NBA and KG owns him with his speed, shotblocking and versatility.

Dream vs. Walton: Sick matchup, Dream gets the slight nod with his lateral quickness and skillset. On defense, both nightmares for the opposing teams.

->Frontcourt: Shayes and Sabonis are heavy off the bench, Sabonis gets the nod. Having Worthy, KG, Walton and Sabonis gives the clear edge to RR14, that's one of the best fantasy frontcourts imaginable.

Conclusion: The RR14 frontcourt is just too dominant and these guys all have a killer mindset. I like Horry's bench more and give the slight edge to his backcourt, but I just see his frontcourt as a problem with Unseld, he's a huge minus, Erving can't handle Worthy on defense and Dream isn't dominating Walton.

RR14 wins in a close series.

7. Horry33

There is so many things to point out but I'm in a hurry so I will just pick out 1. Sabonis over Shayes is ridiculous. Dolph Shayes is on the NBA top 50 team. Sabonis never even made an All-Star game in the NBA. This is matchup of Greatest of All-Time NBA players....international, college, high school or olympic ball doesn't count.

Oh and by the way the judging criteria is posted in the 1st post....Frontcourt, Backcourt, Bench, Offense, Defense, and Chemistry

8. IzakDavid13

Tied series 1-1

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Criteria, not scheme you have to follow 100%...Putting everything into stats and schemes is not how real basketball works...

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

And you obviously never saw a prime Sabonis...

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

PS Shayes was a 50s player that played vs the rest of the white guys and only won two playoff series after the black guys entered the league. His career fg% was 39% and he was as unathletic as it gets. The shell of Sabonis would've destroyed him.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The best thing to do for future drafts is to disqualify players that played most of their careers in the 50s. I would hate to judge Mikan, for example. For now, judges might want to consider accomplishments over style and stats.

13. IzakDavid13

Mikan would be a dominate power forward in today's game.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sorry, but accomplishments over style and stats seems like crap and would never translate. Too many of the 50s guys were benefiting from the fact that the league was crap and horded a sh!tload of trophy, while they wouldn't have played at all in a modern league(say beginning of late 60s). I know a guy like Schayes looks good on paper if you don't know anything about him, but he would get slaughtered by athletic and skilled guys.

15. Horry33

Frontcourt- Who better to start off your team than Hakeem Olajuwon. Michael Jordan was once asked to put together an all time lineup and he picked Hakeem for his center. Jordan said, “And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.”Based on the rest of the team and Hakeem, I wanted to put a tough guy next to dream that wouldn’t need a lot of shots so I went with the hard-nosed Wes Unseld. For the younger voters think of an old school Kevin Love. In fact Kevin Wesley Love is named after Wes Unseld. Unseld was very strong, an exceptional rebounder and is famous for perfecting the outlet pass off his many rebounds that started fast breaks. And this is the style my team will play looking to turn defense into offense. And if you are going to run who better to be on one wing and gracefully finish fast breaks than Julius Erving aka Dr. J. He was a 11 time All-Star between the NBA and ABA. He was Jordan before there was a Jordan.

Backcourt- I know your still thinking about Dr. J and how awesome he was on those fast breaks. But if anybody was going to compare himself with Doc when it comes to running out and finishing effortlessly it would be Clyde Drexler. Clyde “The Glyde” Drexler. Never has there been a more fitting nickname for that perfectly captured how he floated through the air. All throughout his prime he was the 2nd best shooting guard only to Michael Jordan. Drexler took two not-so talented Blazers teams to the NBA finals before winning it all with Houston his 3rd time around. To go along with the smooth Clyde Drexler who better the super smooth and stylish Walt “Clyde” Frazier. What I wanted from my point guard was a leader, somebody who could run the offense, and play great defense. I got all those things in Frazier. He was the floor general for the Knicks only 2 championships in franchise history. For younger judges, imagine an old school Gary Payton as a good comparison. Frazier was on the All-Defensive First Team seven times during his career.

16. IzakDavid13

17. VBG

VBG Member

Frontcourt-

Dr. J and Hakeem would be amazing together and have a solid advantage. Wes Unseld would be a solid low usage complement. Worthy Garnett and Walton aren't a slouch either. I guess SLIGHT advantage to Horry. Fantastic frontcourts for both teams.

Backcourt-

Frazier would should down Hardaway as arguably the best PG defender. However, Kobe would beat Drexeler slightly. The only thing is Drexeler is as big as Kobe which would make it a little more even.

I would say Horry has the advantage.

I like RocketsRed14 bench a little better. Provides amazing defense.

Horry33 in a fast tempo.

RR14 in the halfcourt.

More possessions in the halfcourt so RR14

Walt being an amazing defender gives the slight advantage to Horry. Both frontcourts have amazing defenders.

I like both teams. Maybe RR14 because I think KG matters that much as a leader.

RR14 in 7. Dead even. Kobe buzzer beater decides the series.

1 person likes this.
  18. Horry33

I don't see how I can lose chemistry. These guys were all former teammates

Hakeem and Drexler championship
    Unseld and Monroe
    Frazier and Monroe championship
    Drexler and Mullin gold medal

Chemistry- The chemistry between Hakeem and Drexler is undeniable. They played on formidable teams during the Phi Slamma Jamma days at UofH and again on the way to the second Houston Rockets championship. Hakeem even choose Drexler to present Hakeem at his Hall of Fame enshrinement. And guess who Drexler had previously chosen to present him at his own Hall of Fame enshrinement? None other than Dr. J. That’s a lot of respect and love being shown between the best three players on my team. Need more chemistry? How about the fact that Wes Unseld and Earl Monroe were a perfect combination of inside and outside when they played together for the Baltimore Bullets. And what about when Monroe went on to New York and teamed with Walt Frazier to form what was known as the “Rolls Royce Backcourt” which lead the Knicks to the 1973 NBA championship. And during that run to the championship there was a young ball player growing up in New York that was studying the games of Knicks stars Frazier and Monroe and that player was a young Chris Mullin. Between Unseld, Monroe, Frazier, Mullin, Dr. J, Drexler, and Hakeem my players have a lot of experience winning with one another or looking up to one another in admiration. Oh and I didn’t forget about Dolph Shayes. Shayes, one of 7 nba top 50 players on my team, is the elder statesman on the team and like his teammates Erving and Mullin is a tough New York born baller. Again the links between my players off the court and the successful playing experiences on the court make my teams' chemistry the strongest of all the teams.

Frontcourt- Who better to start off your team than Hakeem Olajuwon. Michael Jordan was once asked to put together an all time lineup and he picked Hakeem for his center. Jordan said, “And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.”Based on the rest of the team and Hakeem, I wanted to put a tough guy next to dream that wouldn’t need a lot of shots so I went with the hard-nosed Wes Unseld. For the younger voters think of an old school Kevin Love. In fact Kevin Wesley Love is named after Wes Unseld. Unseld was very strong, an exceptional rebounder and is famous for perfecting the outlet pass off his many rebounds that started fast breaks. And this is the style my team will play looking to turn defense into offense. And if you are going to run who better to be on one wing and gracefully finish fast breaks than Julius Erving aka Dr. J. He was a 11 time All-Star between the NBA and ABA. He was Jordan before there was a Jordan.

Backcourt- I know your still thinking about Dr. J and how awesome he was on those fast breaks. But if anybody was going to compare himself with Doc when it comes to running out and finishing effortlessly it would be Clyde Drexler. Clyde “The Glyde” Drexler. Never has there been a more fitting nickname for that perfectly captured how he floated through the air. All throughout his prime he was the 2nd best shooting guard only to Michael Jordan. Drexler took two not-so talented Blazers teams to the NBA finals before winning it all with Houston his 3rd time around. To go along with the smooth Clyde Drexler who better the super smooth and stylish Walt “Clyde” Frazier. What I wanted from my point guard was a leader, somebody who could run the offense, and play great defense. I got all those things in Frazier. He was the floor general for the Knicks only 2 championships in franchise history. For younger judges, imagine an old school Gary Payton as a good comparison. Frazier was on the All-Defensive First Team seven times during his career.[/QUOTE]

19. IzakDavid13

RocketsRed14 leads series 2-1

20. IzakDavid13

In my opinion, it's not even close who the winner is...

Horry33 in a 7 game series would go 4-1, maybe 4-2.