1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Game Action: 3/19/2018

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2018.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This isn’t entirely accurate.

I mean obviously we can’t sign both in free agency for the max because well, we can’t get enough cap space to sign lebron for the max.

But it’s certainly plausible and obtainable to trade for lebron who opts in and then resign capela to a max similarly to the cp3 trade.

Capela is underrated around here, he isn’t going anywhere...

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

18 games for CP3, 8 for Harden, 6 for Capela, a month for Luc, a month for Ariza, a month for EG, 3 weeks for Ryno. That's a lot of games missed. Which makes the Rockets' current record even more impressive.

DreamShook likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought the general impression was LeBron wants a multi-year, max contract this summer and definitely won't opt in. It's also questionable Morey would turn over the roster for just a one year commitment. I guess we'll see.

Clint is not underappreciated by Morey. Like I said, my guess is LeBron is the only player Morey would prioritized in front of Clint.

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

I think that’s the sentiment about his contract demands which was very similar to cp3 wanting the full max also. He ultimately opted in to go where he wanted and had LAC not cooperated I’m sure he would have opted out and signed a long term max somewhere maybe even here.

I think it’s very likely lebron acts the same way although it may not benefit Cleveland to cooperate and thus he signs somewhere.

As for capela, even if we get lebron or place him as a priority over capela, that doesn’t mean we lose capela. Again because the only feasible way to obtain lebron is via opt in and trade.

We can’t get realistically free enough cap space to sign him outright without waiving bird rights to capela and cp3 and renouncing every other free agent cap holds along with trading major salary out without any salary in return.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

LeBron isn't CP3. There is no reason to believe he would opt in to be traded other than wishful thinking. But who knows since none of us can read LeBron's mind. Would the Cavs accept a package of Ryno and EG in exhange? I dunno.

CP3 would probably sacrifice some amount for his buddy LeBron.

6. BigMaloe

There was no reason to believe cp3 would opt in and leave 200+m on the table because it was the first time it ever happened.

I don’t think the Cavs want or accept that package. I don’t think lebron is coming to Houston and if he does it will only be through opt in and trade. That’s the only way our marriage is realistically possible to even happen and then you have to make the trade work.

I do not see lebron signing here in free agency unless he takes a huge salary cut and I mean huuge, which isn’t happening.

The only way we get lebron is if he wants to be here. And he is probably powerful enough to force Cleveland to trade him and we would absolutely accommodate him.

But the whole lebron situation has no bearing on capela returning.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I gotta disagree, especially on LeBron vs Capela.

None of us knew about Harden working on CP3. That was a done deal. Agree LeBron won't take a pay cut. Everything "leaked" indicates he will opt out and sign long term. He wants the max of maxes which is (IMO) another hint he's only considering a long term $200MM+ deal. Anything is possible I suppose.

8. BigMaloe

I’m not sure what we are disagreeing about because I have zero doubts management would choose lebron over capela if given a choice of one or the other.

What I’m saying is acquiring lebron has nothing to do with resigning capela.

The only way resigning capela would become a factor is to renounce cp3, renounce capela, renounce ariza, renounce luc, renounce green, renounce black, renounce every free agent possible. On top of that we would have to trade a big amount of salary out to get into range to sign lebron outright.

That’s just not feasible. Because why would lebron want to join that or the rockets even wanting to do that even for lebron?

So even on an opt in and trade, capela cap hold has no bearing on acquiring lebron.

Also, any double SnT with capela and lebron is oils be insanely insanely insanely difficult with magnificent cap ramifications and restrictions, enough so I can’t remember exactly because it would be near impossible to accomplish and the benefit would be neutralized.

So we land at if lebron joins us and wants to join us, the only way is via the opt in and trade. Which we would probably promise a full max the following year. Which I’m assuming we promised cp3 this previous offseason and thus he receives this off season coming.

9. BigO

BigO Member

This is why this scenario has so many questions and domino effects, does Cp3 take less for Lebron, does Lebron want to op in, does Capela take a bit less for good of the team, and etc. There has to be an ok from quite few players and obviously its easy to say most of these guys earned/will earn tons, but its their money to count.