1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Game Action: 3/16/2017

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

All times are CENTRAL
    -Visitor-HomeTime
    [​IMG](43-25) UTAH
    JAZZ
    [​IMG](44-22) CLEVELAND
    CAVALIERS
    6:00 pm
    (NBATV)
    [​IMG](38-29) OKLAHOMA CITY
    THUNDER
    [​IMG](39-28) TORONTO
    RAPTORS
    6:00 pm
    [​IMG](12-54) BROOKLYN
    NETS
    [​IMG](27-41) NEW YORK
    KNICKS
    6:30 pm
    [​IMG](38-30) MEMPHIS
    GRIZZLIES
    [​IMG](37-30) ATLANTA
    HAWKS
    6:30 pm
    [​IMG](40-28) LOS ANGELES
    CLIPPERS
    [​IMG](32-35) DENVER
    NUGGETS
    8:00 pm
    [​IMG](24-44) ORLANDO
    MAGIC
    [​IMG](53-14) GOLDEN STATE
    WARRIORS
    9:30 pm

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Go Cavs, Raptors, Hawks, Clippers, and Magic(I think).

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am torn on the Jazz game. On one hand, CLE is closest to us in the overall standings but Utah is closest to us in the West. Would love to have home court in the Finals if the chips fall right.

BigShasta and joeson332 like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those thinking OKC will catch LAC....LAC's record is very deceiving, and RW versus HL illustrate it the best.

LAC, UTA, MEM and OKC all on the Road. Of those, LAC has the worst opponent, although b2b in Denver is always tough.

Could be a great chance for those teams to move up/down in the RW v HL standings. Right now LAC and UTA are tied and well ahead of OKC and MEM

RW v HL differential.
    • LAC +8
    • UTA +8
    • OKC +4
    • MEM +4
    At the end of the season, the games behind other teams you are in this ranking, will equal how many games behind you finish. In other words, if this ranking doesn't change, LAC and UTA will be tied at end of season, and they both will finish 4 games above OKC. OKC is pretty far behind LAC. Also, LAC will have the most road games played after today.

Rodman23 likes this.
  5. count_dough-ku

It's a no-brainer for me. This is the toughest game remaining for the Jazz on their schedule. At the defending champs on a B2B. We need Utah to lose this one to have some breathing room.

RudyTBag and saleem like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

now we've got some good games, basically something there for everyone, well maybe except for the Magic game. Even Nets/Knicks is interesting for the NYC cellar dweller race.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Go Cavs. Go Raptors. Win those games!

Interesting that the Clippers did NOT bring Griffin or DAJ to the Denver game today. Resting them.

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Lets get it Cavs

9. count_dough-ku

Even with those two, the Clippers would've struggled to win in Denver on a B2B. Doc is conceding the loss.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Between all the acronyms, numbers, and convoluted wording, this hands down wins Most Confusing Post of 2017. It took me 5 minutes just to figure out you were comparing Road Wins vs. Home Losses, and I'm still not even sure what your point is. Anyways, carry on.

As an aside, mentioning OKC and RW in the same sentence usually leads to a bad time if you're not referring to Russell Westbrook. ;)

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Agreed, excepted I'd like the Grizzlies to beat the Hawks so that they can retake the 6th seed over OKC

Killatron 2000 and BigShasta like this.
  12. heypartner

We talk about this every year. Every year someone needs it reexplained....when it is simple and so very powerful, everyone should use it. It's a way Pat Riley used to look at the standings, rather than W/Ls, since those are skewed to schedule. RW vs HL is a better, quick look at the standings than Games Behind is.

It works, because it is a mathematical fact that the RW v HL rankings exactly match the W/L rankings at the end of the season. Thus, LAC is really 4 games ahead of OKC right now.

Look at any final standings from any year. The difference between one team's RW minus HL to another will exactly match the difference in their Games Behind rankings.

Example, we were 18-18 last year for a +0, and were 32 games behind GSW. GSW was 34-2 for a +32, which exactly equals our Games Behind. Further, POR was 16-13 last year for a +3. We were 3 games behind them in final rankings.

#12 heypartner, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@heypartner what is the RW vs HL of Houston & Utah?

14. heypartner

HOU +13
    UTA +8
    LAC +8

We are +4 on UTA in W/L and +5 in RW/HL...so, they pretty much match, and UTA could come more in-line with W/Ls with a win tonight. The LAC to UTA standings is what we need to watch. LAC is closer to UTA than OKC is to LAC. It's deceiving looking at only W/Ls.

btw: ESPN's standings show Home and Road records. I look at that every day.

Deuce likes this.
  15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Damn really NBA? These games against the NCAA tournament. ARGHHH why you conflict me basketball

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Toronto announcers are nuthugging RW after the first quarter

17. heypartner

I think Westbrook just won the MVP with that last pass. That will be on sportscenter

vtjsr2 and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

i think this rockets thunder game coming up is what will really decide it. can't let westbrook go ham and win.

If beard puts on a well balanced game in a W and westbrook comes across as forcing it in an L than I think that will solidy james as the MVP.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  19. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I don't think it's a coincidence that Westbrook was in danger of dropping below ten assists a game a week ago and poof he starts passing a **** ton more to stat chase and the thunder magically play better.

Westbrook is a stat w**** of the tallest order and it's laughable to think he's had a better season than Harden. My solace is that he wins MVP...we meet them in the first round...and James channels his inner Dream and whispers that's my trophy during the huddle (Hopefully Elie is in earshot) Followed by a series sweep.

I have no doubt even after that scenario the talking heads will be lamenting Westbrook's lack of help even though preseason those same jackass talking heads thought the thunders supporting cast was better.

The only reason the Thunder are considered Westbrook and a bunch of scrubs is because every player on the team has digressed due to RW ball hogging ways. They have three max or near max players other than Westbrook for crying out loud.

For the record I've always despised Westbrooks style of play have no doubt it's why KD left and hate everything Oklahoma in general.

I will post again in five years.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

KJ getting real minutes tonight for BKL

Pen15clubber likes this.