1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA fastbreak: GM rating

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sup123, Feb 8, 2004.

1. sup123

sup123 Member

I was just watching nba fastbreak and they were rating GM's. One person gave CD an incomplete and the other an A. Who knows why he gave him an A. I didnt know this but they said Les wanted JVG more the CD did. Did he still want rudy or somethin? Overall i thought i just share and CD still needs to be canned.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think that the problem with canning CD is that you are assuming that he was responsible for the player moves that sucked. Look, when Rudy was the coach he had more say than CD and, ultimately, Les had to ok every single deal that went down. To suggest that CD is SO important to the team that firing him will immediately result in a turnaround is simply not true.

I'm not saying that all the Rockets moves have been great. They have not and that's clear. But, even if they were 100% bad over the past 5 years (which they clearly were NOT), firing CD still wouldn't solve the problem. In reality, Rudy stepping down was, if you want to think of it this way, a much bigger step in the right direction from a personnel standpoint than firing CD would be. Hell, Keith Jones is probably as important in player/personnel moves as CD is because of his close ties to all the guys in the league.

But, if you want to rate CD on just this season, here's the rundown...

- Drafted a solid power forward in the second round and sent him to Europe to develop.
    - Dealt Rice and a draft pick for John Amechi and a nearly $7 million trade exception.
    - Signed Jim Jackson.
    - Signed Adrian Griffin.
    - Signed Eric Piatkowski.
    - Released Eddie Griffin when it became clear it wasn't working.
    - Traded Moochie Norris, an overpaid, mediocre back up point guard, for Clarence Weatherspoon, a solid veteran frontcourt player.
    - Signed veteran point guard Mark Jackson to back up Francis.

If you realize that Jim Jackson could not have been signed without the trade of Rice and that we still have a $7 million trade exception in our back pocket, even that deal doesn't seem like a total loss.

But, on balance, this has been a good year for the Rockets from a personnel standpoint.

3. Man

Man Contributing Member

Well I basically agree with Jeff.
    I don't want us to fire CD. We aren't even a horrible team...yet...why should we fire him? He's done a decent job..pretty good! Eddie Griffin was a gamble I guess..a risk..who would you want as GM? And what would you want him to do? We have signed good role players and veterans..and have managed everything fairly well.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I'm more concerned of CD retiring than I am him getting "canned."

Because next in line for that job is our favorite "scout."

And that guy is better as a coach.

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Rudy is persona non grata-if you are implying that Les / Jeff Van Gundy will want rudy as GM -this will never happen. Rudy is in an empty chair-he will never be part of the decision making of the rockets....

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Good post Jeff, but I would hesitate to call Badaine a solid power forward at this point. From everything I've heard, he is very raw and one dimensional. I will be suprised if we see him in the league at any time over the next 2 seasons.

7. ayears

ayears Member

Good info. What did they mean by saying Les wanted JVG more the CD did? Anything in detail? sup123.

Good decisions except this one-- Signed Eric Piatkowski. But nobody can predict Eric Piatkowski would be in slump before season. CD has done a decent job,(at least this season)i think.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I never understood this argument.

CD could have signed Jim Jackson in lieu of Eric Piatkowski.

Eric Piatkowski has provided nothing this year. He still may but if we're evaluating CD midway through the season, that move has paid 0 dividends. The worst part is Piatkowski signed a 3 year deal. Contrast that to Voshon Leonard who has provided huge dividends for Denver and he only has a 1 year contract.

Jackson has proven to be a valuable component of this team. However, because Piatkowski and Adrian Griffin have provided zilch, Jackson has played far too many minutes which may diminish his effectiveness in the 2nd half. And if you combine Jackson, Griffin, and Piatkowski, has the Rockets really upgraded over James Posey for the same money? Arguable.

If you look at CD's offseason performance so far:

Drafting Badienne: Incomplete

Signing A. Griffin: Bust

Signing Piatkowski: Bust

Signing Jackson: Good move

Trading Amaechi/draft choices for Cap Flexibility: Incomplete
    If we use that and get a good player than it was worth it. Also have to see what players wouldve been available had the Rockets kept their 1st round pick.

Trading Moochie: Neutral. Traded away Mooch's contract for an equally bad Weatherspoon contract. It could be good if Spoon contributes consistently.

Releasing Eddie Griffin: Neutral. He went AWOL. Whether they released him or kept him, wouldnt have made a difference. If the argument is that not extending him an extension was a good move, that would ignore the obvious fact that we shouldnt have drafted him in the first place. Screwing up and then putting us back to 0 does not deserve praise.

Overall: C+

The key will be the trade exception. If they leverage that and use it wisely, this team could be in great shape. Like most moves, the results won't be clear until later.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

RIET hit the nail on the head.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO, JJax would not have signed for what he did when Pike was signed. It took more time for JJax to realize the big payday was not there, that he needed to find the right team with the best deal.

Badienne - 2nd rounder developing, or not, without costing the team another roster spot. Incomplete? Sure. Good gamble? I have no clue.

AG - Incomplete. Let him play some, preferably healthy, before his signing is evaluated.

Pike - Ouch. Tho I suspect he will be back in the rotation and knocking down 3s sooner than later.

Mooch/Clarence - Good. Mooch, the lovable incompetent, brought nothing to the court but CW is providing some value off the bench. Amaechi who?

TE - my one great hope for great Rockets improvement for '04-'05. I hope it is utilized, and utilized very effectively.

Overall - Incomplete, with positive overtones.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think he realized the big payday was not there based on the fact he's played for 5 different teams in 5 seasons.

Which of those 5 teams were willing to give him a 3 year contract?

Which of those teams gave him more money than the veteran's league minimum.

It was pretty clear Jim Jackson wasn't getting a big payday when he was sitting at home last year begging for work before Sacramento gave him a job.

Of course the fact he's 1 year older makes him a more valued commodity.

Jim Jackson has been a good player on this team and we've gotten our money's worth. However, You really think Jim Jackson wouldve turned down a 3 year contract at more than double what he made the past few seasons?

More job security, more money. Hmmm...

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes, I think he expected a multi-year deal for big money with a contender. Reality takes a while to knock-knock-knock itself into a head.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Tell me which contender wouldve offered a 33 year old vagabond a multi year deal?

Maybe it was the Timberwolves who offered him a 1 year whopping $1 million deal.

Last year he averaged 21 minutes/game doing a nice job off the bench for Sacramento. As we all know, that easily translates to a multi year mega bucks contract.

Youve got the evidence, let's see it.

14. sup123

sup123 Member

THey didnt go into detail, just said that the owner of the rockets really wanted JVG than CD.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Aren't you a little OTT on this? What's the big deal, whether he was signed, for how much. or when? His is not the type of contract keeping the next great FA from Houston.

He has played well and is not a prime indicator of the value of CD or not.

Relax.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

RIET, I don't know why you are still b****ing about the JJ signing. He's a 36+ mpg starter for us, and is playing very solid. Who cares how much PT he had with the Kings? Webber has played zero minute yet. And they are still the best team in the West. And Bobby Jackson, easily a starter for most teams, is still a backup. That tells you how deep they are.

Do you still have to spin something negative about the management just for the sake of it, even in the face of something good?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would give him a "D" just because of signing that loser Van Gundy....I wanted Dunleavy.

DD

18. sup123

sup123 Member

But look at the clips record. They play no D either.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Jeff didn't mention:

trading KT and a pick for Posey

Letting Posey walk for nothing when matching him does not cost you an MLE or any likely salary cap space (e.g., could still get Jim Jackson).

All the picks given up to Utah, Denver, etc.

Now if the trade exemption facilitates a really good deal for us these move may not so bad, but right now they do look very bad.

Let's look at little closer:

Kenny Thomas is 26 (plenty of good years left) and putting up 11 & 10 (yes 9.6 RBPG) on 48% shooting.

James Posey is 27 and is putting up 12 & 4 on 48% from the field, 40% from 3 and 85% from line. He also leads his team in steals and and points per shot (offensive efficiency).

Basically over the last year we have squandered our most solid youngish roll players to support Yao, Francis and Mobley due to hopes (prayers) for young guys who have not panned out and old guys who are short term fixes.

CD gets a C- at best for him positioning the team over the long term. The luck in drafting Yao and his steady improvement, JJ's solid but admittedly rent-a-player contributions, and JVG's defensive improvements, mask otherwise fairly dismal personelle moves.

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

How am I b****ing about JJ"s signing? Please show me where I said it's been a mistake.

Someone needs a lesson in reading comeprehension.