1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA FanHouse] Summary of Melo Talks/More Evidence of the Greatness of Clutch & Crew

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OGKashMoney, Jan 11, 2011.

1. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

First, here is the cite to the great work by Clutch & Crew. It links to this this great post by Clutch.

It contains a nice summary of the Rockets predatory-position in the Melo talks. Nothing too new, but the article basically says that the Rockets are hoping to get a deadline deal done while the Nuggets are trying to use whatever threats and leverage to get the Nets to keep increasing their deal. Hopefully the Rockets can pick off Melo at a deadline deal!

Link to Article. Interesting read as far as the Nuggets strategy goes.

However, I am not sure if I want to sacrifice Scola for Melo. I think we need them both to contend.

2. il italiano

il italiano Member

I would love to sacrafice scola for melo. for one scola is 30+, plays no defense, and is a very weak rebounder. we could start ppat and let him develop, wouldnt be too bad because i feel he is NBA ready

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

This is why I think they should start upping the minutes for Patterson. See what he can do with the starters a little bit, and if he looks good, definitely throw Scola into the mix.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Poor Scola. He finally gets a chance to show his 20-10 stuff after Landry is traded away, and now is about to get his minutes cut by a rookie who was drafted to replace Landry.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm sure there must be a metric that shows Scola costs us near as many points as he produces, it sure seems that way lately.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sadly, I agree. He was destroyed in the Utah game in OT.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GnVXKfgfQ0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GnVXKfgfQ0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#6 jopatmc, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Scola has played for us with fire and passion, and I admire him greatly for that. However, he's maximized his limited athleticism and isn't likely to get much better than he is right now. If we can use him as trade bait to upgrade the team, it's a no-brainer.

#7 topfive, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. Prince

Prince Member

Scola has some intangibles too.

9. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

It is so sad to see someone work so hard on the offensive end then just give up on the defensive end like he does. Any person he defends just rapes the Rockets and the sad thing is they do it over and over again. Scola never picks them up, example the Denver game in Houston Al Harrington was wide open and hit 5 3-pointers due to Scola's defense. After the first few you would think he would stay with him but no Scola would run off to double team someone else when his man had the hot hand. I love Scola but with no Yao or defensive big behind him he seems to be a liability most the time.

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

Like his hand-down defense.

1 person likes this.
  11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He is. He's a defensive gambler that is used to taking chances and playing with an eraser behind him. You get him in the popcorn machine pick and roll and he is just absolutely horrible.

And I actually love the guy. I'd give anything if he could D up.

12. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

LOL! But seriously, Scola plays a type of D that you can't really measure. I'm pretty sure he spends pre-game time mentally breaking down his opponents. That way even if the Rockets lose, at least Carlos Boozer is still a douche bag.