1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Fanhouse] Rio Grande Valley 2010: Best NBA D-League Season Ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Mar 22, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/03/22/...er/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

So, do the Rockets own the Vipers?? I thought they did, but it seems that the article said that they're just affiliates?

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

They run the basketball side of operations - hybrid system because they don't necessarily own them (marketing/tickets/attendance) but they control what system they run and who coaches them as well as player movement.

4. Dei

Dei Member

5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Great read!

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Oh ok that makes sense. Is that a permanent thing, or do we have a contract/lease type thing on that? If so, when does it end?

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't worry about the Rockets losing the rights to them unless they want to -- it has worked out VERY well for us this year, and probably is the future of the NBA. The Rockets will keep the RGV, and I believe more teams will then buy into the hybrid model NBDL teams are now offering.

8. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

hey jonathon wallace, the back up point guard, went to my school and is our principals son. and he was the guy who hit that clutch three to knock unc out of the ncaa tournament. The guy can shoot lights out and owns the 3 point record at Georgetown. Plus he has 1 year of experience over seas and 1 year with the d-league. Maybe he'll be our conroy or temple one day...

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

This picture never ever fails to entertain.