1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NBA expected to pass three rule changes for 2018-19 season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 23, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nging-shot-clock-14-seconds-offensive-rebound

The NBA's Board of Governors are expected to pass rule changes for the 2018-19 season that include re-setting the shot clock after an offensive rebound to 14 seconds from 24, simplifying the clear-path foul rule and expanding the definition of the "hostile act" to more easily trigger instant replay, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA sent a memo to the league's general managers and coaches on Thursday to outline the unanimous recommendations of the league's Competition Committee to the Board of Governors.

The Board of Governors will vote on the three rules changes in a September 20-21 meeting, and need a two-thirds majority to pass the legislation.

The NBA believes that the resetting of the shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebounds will increase shot attempts, especially at the end of close games. The NBA studied FIBA's implementation of the rule in 2014, as well as its use in G League, WNBA and NBA Summer League games.

Under the changes to the clear path rule, a clear path to the basket would be in play in these three instances:

• "A personal foul is committed on any offensive player during his team's transition scoring opportunity."

• "When the foul occurs, the ball is ahead of the tip of the circle in the backcourt, no defensive is ahead of the offensive player with the scoring opportunity and that offensive player is in control of the ball or a pass to him has been released."

• "The defensive foul deprives the offensive team of a transition scoring opportunity."

In the instance of a clear-path foul, the team is given two free throw attempts and possession on the sideline closet to where the foul happened.

The NBA says that rule would eliminate the need that a play start in the backcourt. Referees would no longer "need to make a judgment call on whether a defender was 'between' the offensive player and the basket, or, if a defender is heads of the player being fouled but not 'between,' the offensive player and the basket, whether such defender had the opportunity to position himself between the ball and the basket.'

The expanded definition of the "hostile act" to trigger instant replay would now extend beyond interaction with another player to also include a hostile interaction with a referee, coach or a fan.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Damn it jr just end my other thread on this :(

This will bail out teams that can’t rebound

amaru likes this.
  3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

This should greatly benefit teams with higher offensive efficiencies, e.g. GS and Houston.

RayRay10 and DaonlyLA like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If they are killing the "Euro Foul" then I am all for it.

I have mixed feelings on the 14 second reset. Game already moves pretty fluidly. If a team doesn't get a quick put back, could end up getting a lot of bad shots. But sounds like they have data from the G-league and FIBA to make an informed decision.

amaru likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

meh -- these are minor changes.

The 14-second thingie is just to keep from holding the ball at the end, when teams will run the clock after an offensive rebound. Otherwise, most offensive rebounds don't eat up a full clock, many are tips or shots in the lane, or quick kick-outs for shots against defenses that got out of position going for the rebound.

For instance, fwiw: that 14-second rule has no role in the Elam-Ending. When leading in the end game, teams holding the ball to run the clock after an offensive rebound has zero value.

BallSoHarden and MONON like this.
  7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't like the 14-second rule change. That will have a big impact on late game situations. Granted, it could always wind up benefiting the Rockets(imagine Game 7 vs Utah in 2007 with that rule in effect), but I don't think teams that fail to secure defensive rebounds should be let off the hook.

RudyTBag, amaru and Crashlanded19 like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You must not like the Elam-ending then. It wants to take clock-mgmt completely out of the end-game. The 10-second difference in this rule is somewhat like the Elam-ending saying "Come-on, guys. Play to score, stop holding the ball and fouling."

9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

But how will this affect Melo?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My instinct is to like the 14-second rule. I see no downside for the first 45 minutes of a game. The effect in crunch time could be big because teams won't be able to just pull the ball back out and rest for 10 seconds before attacking. More energy will be expended by both sides.

I can see this affecting the outcome of intense, close playoff games.

da_juice likes this.
  11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The 14-second offensive rebound rule directly benefits teams that can't grab defensive rebounds *COUGH* GOLDEN STATE *COUGH*

Just like when they shortened the 3 point line in the 90s, the NBA goes out of its way to eliminate the biggest weakness of its poster boy(s).

#11 Swiss Roll, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. House Rockets

House Rockets Member

When I clicked on this thread, I honestly expected to read that the league had made Harden's stepback into a travel.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

The game and rules evolves according to its needs. Hand checking ended because teams were too physical (good at defense). Charles Barkley made them put in the back to the basket rule. I dont like it but its nothing new

14. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I never said the league hasn't pulled this bullshit before (see: The shortened 3 point line, allowing MJ to hit 3s at a high rate). However, the excuse that such a rule will increase pace is in question. Similar to how the shortened 3 point line failed to make scoring go up, as pace continued to decline, this rule might have the same effect.

If offensive rebounds are abandoned, then more players are back on defense, limiting transition opportunities. If transition opportunities are limited, then pace and scoring efficiency goes down, as fast brakes are quicker and more efficient than half-court, compounded with fewer second chance opportunities.

Look at Europe, they have the same rule over there and their pace is far slower compared to the NBA, why? Because its hard to run 5-on-5 fast breaks.

This just benefits teams with shoddy defensive rebounding, as opposing teams are less inclined to go for offensive rebounds, and the only elite team with bad defensive rebounding last year was Golden State.

Fewer potential seconds to use on offensive rebounds might just force pace to go up, but I doubt efficiency goes up with this rule. The NBA simply noticed that the only teams to push GSW to 7 or outright beat them did so by grabbing way more rebounds and outscoring them by sheer volume alone, now this tactic is neutered.

Can this be good for us? Maybe. We weren't the best offensive rebounding team last year and we didn't rely on transition much either. Perhaps a similar fate awaits us as it did the last time the NBA attempted to fix the shortcomings of their marketing drone(s), which was back-to-back championships for us on a barrage of short 3-pointers.

Deckard, BigMaloe, Voltik and 2 others like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

And again the NBA does nothing about the serious problems with replay, leaves clear path still open to too much interpretation and the rebounding rule is a bit silly. Pace is already high, do they want more of a gimmicky offensive-minded league? Wouldn’t surprise me if by 2030 it’s all run and gun though with the irony of replay, time outs and FTs unresolved.

da_juice likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

except for teams/players that are gassed out atm

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well that was insightfull

18. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Are any of those things actual problems, though? I mean, who really gives a crap about these things, other than maybe the clear path simplification?

Bad calls/No calls/missed calls is the real problem in the NBA, yet, is there any push to add another ref, or take advantage of all the technology to make a better replay/review system?

Wake me when the NBA decides to get serious and address problems that adversely & unfairly effect the outcomes of games.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Which one of the rule changes is going to help fix the 4 missed calls that cost houston game 7 last year?
    Like non.