1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com: Raptors present perk up after Patrick Patterson trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

CHICAGO – A funny thing is happening to the Toronto Raptors on their trudge to the basement in the Eastern Conference standings.

They walked through an unmarked door last week, assuming it was another flight of stairs to take them down, only to realize too late they’d stepped onto an elevator headed up.

Toronto’s decision to trade highly paid scoring forward Rudy Gay, as well as to shop point guard Kyle Lowry, sprang from general manager Masai Ujiri‘s newness to the situation this season and an eye to the future in terms of cap space and roster flexibility. But the present has perked up considerably, with today looking pretty good regardless of tomorrow.

Of the new guys, Chuck Hayes still is being held out, his past heart condition requiring more thorough cardiac testing before he’s physically cleared. But the other three – Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson and John Salmons – have done well off the bench. In two games, they have combined to average 23 points on 16 of 34 shots (47.1 percent). Gay for the Raptors this season: 19.4 points on 38.8 percent shooting.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/12/15/break-up-the-raptors-no-really/?ls=iref:nbahpt6c

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Environment doesn't dissuade Gay from his typical and usual inefficient self I see.

Ujiri didnt know Gay was a hindrance to winning, not a help?

Perhaps Morey can help him turn his staircase around :grin:

3. Carl Herrera

The quickest way to turn Masai's staircase around is it trade Lowry for strictly future assets. Lowry is their best player. Without him, they'll sink like a stone.

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Hoping Chuck is cleared and OK.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We could take Amir Johnson off their hands as well.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You know, what with Philly and Phoenix all of a sudden trying to win, and Charlotte and Orlando taking a (misguided) view that they have some semblance of a young core to build around, there are fewer blatant tankers than I thought would be around by this time of the year.

Trading Lowry might be Toronto's way of throwing itself into the mix early in the tankocalypse that will be this spring. Utah is running away with the #1 right now, and I really don't want them to pick Jabari Parker (who is a Mormon), but I'm pretty sure they will if they have the opportunity at any time. That sucks because I really like Parker but really hate Utah. That also means Wiggins might be available at #2. I imagine that soon we will see Philly, Boston, and Toronto start making a sprint back to tanking in spite of early season appearances to the contrary.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Raptors present perks up after trading Rudy Gay

Fixed that title a little.

8. tomato

tomato Member

If I were Toronto, I'd tell the NBA "you can take Amir Johnson out of my cold dead hands"
    I'm personally not as picky

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Raptors are 3-1 since Rudy Gay left. They dumped a millstone overboard.

10. Carl Herrera

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...-patterson-finds-the-right-fit-with-new-team/

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We would be 39-0 with PPat's incredible powers. Shame Carl ain't our GM, he always knew. :(

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I was me of PPats harshest critics when it came to his lack of aggression and poor rebounding, but man his jumpshot was a thing of beauty.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Dude is outplaying Amir Johnson on some nights, that's how different of a player he is now

14. Progs

Progs Member

PP is in his prime right now and he would of been perfect next to Dwight to spread the floor. He is a SG trap in a PF's body...

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, Patterson would be a nice addition. Especially if he doesn't mind coming off the bench. The only problem is that we couldn't keep him and sign Dwight, and without Dwight he's useless.

16. Carl Herrera

Both Amir and Pat are arguably outplaying Valanciunas according to the article.

17. arjun

arjun Member

i give credit to PP and vazquez and salmons for toronto's improved play...but you have to also acknowledge how Lowry/Derezon have stepped up.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

ugh, don't remind me about Valanciunas. I bought into his bandwagon before the season started and am just about ready to drop his azz. Nearly driving me to buy low on Moultrie

19. Carl Herrera

Having a consummate professional like Pat around made these guys step up their intensity.

20. eslate22

eslate22 Member

I bet AB0, PPat, and chuck wagon are glad to be out of the black hole that is sacremento... cousins needs to get the hell out of there as soon as he can