1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(NBA.COM) Randy Livingston Named NBA D-League MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sofine81, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Randy Livingston Named NBA D-League MVP

GREENVILLE, S.C., April 12, 2007 – Guard Randy Livingston has been named the NBA Development League’s Most Valuable Player for the 2006-07 season. Livingston, who was signed by the Seattle Sonics on April 11 from the Idaho Stampede, was selected by a vote of the D-League’s head coaches.

Randy Livingston
    Seattle SuperSonics
    Layne Murdoch/NBAE/Getty Images
    At the time he became the 21st Gatorade Call-Up of the season, Livingston, 6-4, 210, was leading the D-League in assists per game at 10.6, while averaging 12.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 39.3 minutes in 46 games. His 488 assists are a new D-League single-season record. The Stampede was 29-17 with Livingston in the lineup.

"From a coaching standpoint, Randy was the most valuable player to any team in this league. We would not be where we are without him, " said Idaho coach Bryan Gates, who was named the Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year on April 11. "From a friendship standpoint, I couldn't be happier for Randy. There is no one more deserving."

Named to the 2006-07 All-NBA Development League Gatorade First Team, Livingston dished out double-digit assists in 26 games this season, recording 16 double-doubles and two triple-doubles. His 20 assists against Anaheim on March 3 are good enough to share the league single-game record with Cedric Bozeman (Albuquerque) and Will Conroy (Tulsa, now Los Angeles Clippers). He was also selected to play in the inaugural Gillette D-League All-Star Game in association with 24 Hour Fitness in Las Vegas, but was forced to sit out the game due to injury.

“Randy Livingston enjoyed a superlative season this year,” said D-League Vice-President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel Chris Alpert. “His leadership, court vision, passing ability, unselfishness, and competitiveness are some of the key reasons for Idaho's tremendous season.

“Our coaches recognize that Randy's contributions to his team's success go far beyond his ability to score points,” said Alpert. “He sets the tone for the Stampede on the offensive and defensive end of the floor, as well as in the lockerroom.”

Livingston joins Ansu Sesay (Greenville, 2002) current NOK Hornet Devin Brown (Fayetteville, 2003), Tierre Brown (Charleston, 2004), current Charlotte Bobcat Matt Carroll (Roanoke, 2005) and Marcus Fizer (2006) as winners of the D-League Most Valuable Player Award.

He was a former Rocket! Great to see him getting success :)

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

well he is a Rockets legend

4. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

you are wrong. This us the right forum. He was a rocket.

"Even the slower fans can talk about......." Do i really have to continue :D

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Congrats to Randy L. I liked that guy when he played for the Rockets. Sounds like he would've been an NBA star if not for his knee injury.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Blasphemy. I remember when we used to talk about how badass Livingston was when he was in HS. Apparently, he used to be crazy explosive, but knee injuries took a toll on him.

Anyway, he played here like 10 years ago, so that just tells you how sh*tty the D-league is when Liv is the MVP.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Was OK when he had his 1 season as a Rocket. Since then, a journeyman.

#7 Rockets34Legend, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  8. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I wasnt saying we should try and get him to come back or anything. I just thought since it was Rocket related I would post it.

Although, I am aon the look out for either a decent back-up point or a good starting point guard.

Just really not sure Randy is the answer.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There's sort of a "What Happened to..." article in this month's Dime Magazine on Randy Livingston. It was a good read, I had no idea he was considered every bit as good as Jason Kidd coming out of high school, those knee injuries were very unfortunate, he could have been a stud.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

speaking of which, did Oscar Torres jump off the face of this planet? Where is he now?

11. jason_long

jason_long Member

this has nothing to do with our rockets, move to the NBA forum

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Randy Livingston, Chilly Pete, Tim Breux, Chucky Brown, R Rhodes, E Rec and Sam Mack has every bit to do with the Rockets

13. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Dude, don't forget Eldridge Ricasner (think thats how you spell it) and his famous brows.

14. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Kenard Winchester is a personal favorite

15. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Lest we forget Thomas "Ten-sandwiches" Hamilton, Conner Henry, Dirk Minniefield, and Granville Waiters. Legends. Heroes, some might say.

16. haven

haven Member

You haven't been a fan that long, have you?

17. conquistador#11

He is one of hugo chavez's adviser,viva la revolucion :D No seriously,he is lighting it up in the current euroleague tourny

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I guess i'll post it here.

Do you guys remember the name of a really fat guy on the rockets in the 2001 season? Can't remember his name.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Even as a Rocket, you could see the guy was a gifted passer, but the knee injuries had taken away his speed. I remember reading about him coming out of high school and people saying it was a coin-flip between him and Kidd as to who would have a better college/NBA career. He seemed like a nice guy, too. I thought at one point they said he was going to turn to coaching because he had a good knowledge of the game.

20. conquistador#11

I do remember his alias name, given to him by calvin murphy.it was Deuce Sandwhiches.