1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[nba.com] Race to the MVP - Week 19 (T-Mac at 4)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Week 19

By Maurice Brooks
    Posted Mar 13 2007 3:28PM

SECAUCUS, N.J., March 13, 2007 -- Hey, nobody is perfect, right? Luckily, it is never too late to admit a mistake or two or in my case five. With that being said, here are the First Annual Race to the MVP My Bads ...
    My bad, Sixers … After spending 32 years as a fan, I jumped off the bandwagon (despite having a lifetime membership) somewhere between Allen Iverson getting a Denver address and Chris Webber going back home to Detroit.

I know, I’m the worst. Where is my loyalty?

Yo Samuel, Kyle, Dre Miller, Billy King and Mo Cheeks, please forgive me and take me back. I know I shouldn’t have abandoned ship.

If only I would have known that Andre Iguodala was going to single-handedly bring you guys back into playoff contention this season instead of three or four years from now. Speaking of Iguodala, check out this editorial e-mailed to me by one of my colleagues.

After stringing together seven victories in a row, Philly’s record now stands at 25-38, just four games out of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

My bad, Shaquille O'Neal … Wow big fella, I thought you were done. I had already stuck the fork in you. And you know what, you can’t really blame me. You missed most of the first half of the season because of injury and even when you did play you didn’t really do your thing like back in the day.

I should have known better than to count you out but I forgot that throughout your career you’ve made a point of proving doubters wrong (What up, Kobe?).

With Dwyane Wade sidelined with a shoulder injury, you’ve powered your squad to six straight wins and you guys have your swagger back. A few weeks ago, it looked like Washington was going to run away and hide with the Southeast Division title. Now it seems like it’s a foregone conclusion that the Heat will run down the Wizards, who you trail by only one game.

My bad, Tracy McGrady … Of course I knew you were one of the 10 most talented ballers on the planet. Still, I thought your creaky back, which for the past few years has caused you to spend a ton of time in designer clothes instead of your uniform, had won the battle. I thought your days of being the man were over.

When Yao Ming went down in December with his leg injury, I thought your Rockets would follow. Boy did you prove me wrong.

You’ve regained your All-NBA caliber form. Thanks to your averages of 24.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 6.1 assists, Houston has a record of 39-25, good for fifth in the ultra-competitive West.

My bad, Stephon Marbury and Isiah Thomas … Has anyone looked at Stephon’s point totals during the past eight games? Marbury has been on fire, dropping in 22, 22, 25, 23, 34, 38, 40 and 15 points.

That stretch has brought his season averages up to a healthy 15.8 points and 5.5 assists per game. No, Marbury didn’t forget how to play. It just seemed that way during the nightmare that was the 2005-06 Knicks season.

And while we’re talking about New York, congratulations Isiah on your multiyear contract extension. With 29 victories so far, you already have six more wins than all of last year and if the season ended today, you’d be in the postseason.

Larry Brown is a Hall of Fame coach, he just wasn’t as good a fit as you are to motivate the Knicks. I didn't think you would get the job done, but obviously your squad has shown improvement.

My bad, 1996 Chicago Bulls … Watching the Warriors embarrass Race to the MVP leader Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks on Monday to end their 17-game win streak reminded me of just how hard it is to win 70 games, let alone 72.

While one defeat doesn’t take any of the shine off of what the Mavericks (52-10) have done this season, there may not ever be another squad as dominant as the 1995-96 Bulls.

Also, as a reminder of how great Michael Jordan was, check the history books. MJ was so dominant that he was named MVP of the All-Star Game, regular season and The Finals.

Do you want to apologize about a wrong basketball prediction you made this season? Send me your "My bads."

Here are the player rankings for the season through March 12.

1. Dirk Nowitzki
    2. Steve Nash
    3. Lebron James
    4. Tracy McGrady
    5. Kobe Bryant
    6. Tim Duncan
    7. Gilbert Arenas
    8. Chris Bosh
    9. Kevin Garnett
    10. Deron Williams

Check it out: http://www.nba.com/features/player_rankings.html

Gooooo T-Mac!!!! :D

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That list is stupid... Kevin Durant should be in the top 7.

3. playlife

playlife Member

huh??

4. Sextuple Double

A safe haven from the other bull**** threads going on right now. This is the only place I can come to read quality. Even....
    ...is far better quality than what I seen in any other thread for the day.

I can't put Lebron over Tracy, he's been inconsistent until this past week and Tracy has done more with less in the infinitely tougher conference.

5. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this. Not very many people around here are able to keep their perspective...particularly after the Rockets lose and when our superstars don't play well.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No way KG should be on this list, at least not ahead of Deron Williams. The twolves arnt even in the playoffs.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Tmac should be 3rd. and Bosh should be ahead of Duncan.

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac should be down a lil w/ his weak play since yao returned other than the nets and boston games

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If KG wasnt on the twolves they would be a college team.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly, winning overrates some players. put deron on the wolves and see what happens. put nash on the wolves and see what happens.

PGs need a lot of good players around them outside of jkidd for several seasons ago and still win

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Kevin Durant should already have been named NBA MVP. He's clearly the best player ever. I bet 5 Kevin Durants could beat a team of Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, Len Bias, and Hakeem Olajuwon. Wait, that's stupid. I had to delete about half of this paragraph because it was just getting more and more ridiculous. It was just plain ludicrous.

I *really* hope that T-Mac gets MVP for no other reason than to laugh at all the mavs fans up here. Oh my gosh, that would be AMAZING.

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Wait... Better yet: I hope that Dirk gets MVP and T-Mac gets Finals MVP. That would KILL them.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont care, the wolves are still one of the worst teams in the league. Tmac kept the rockets up without Yao, KG should at least be able to keep the wolves at .500 be be considered an mvp canidate