1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com: Clint Capela completes Houston Rockets' cornerstone trio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Apr 17, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/17/clint-capela-completes-houston-rockets-cornerstone-trio

HOUSTON
    — Connecting the dots on these Houston Rockets this season starts with James Harden, the presumptive Kia MVP frontrunner and superstar scoring champ and game changing superstar.

Next is the addition of superstar point guard Chris Paul, for years now the epitome of the feisty floor general whose competitive nature can change the temperature in the room in an instant.

The third dot is Clint Capela. That’s right, the Swiss big man whose energy, athleticism, rim-protecting and rim-rolling gives the Rockets a lift the opposition often struggles to match when the talents of these three critical components of the best regular season in Rockets’ history come together.

It’s not as simple as that, of course, but the raw numbers — the Rockets were 43-3 during the regular season with all three of them in the lineup — make it clear to anyone that the cosmic energy of the Rockets’ three most dynamic players is undeniable.

That Capela completes the Rockets’ version of a “Big Three” is perhaps the biggest surprise in a season filled with them. Capela is a rising star, a bouncy young big whose name doesn’t always come up when the discussion shifts to the best young centers in the game. That could change if he duplicates his performance from the Rockets’ Game 1 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves in their first round playoff series.

Capela worked the Timberwolves for 20 points and 10 rebounds in the first half and finished with 24, 12 and three blocks, thoroughly outplaying Timberwolves All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns in his playoff debut.

“I’ve been here since Clint got here,” Harden said after that Game 1 win. “He’s developed, he listens, he works his butt off every single day, and it shows for big moments like that. So he has a long way to go. [But] helluva a job for Game one.”

[​IMG]
    Clint Capela goes off for 24 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks in Game 1.

An active Capela has been a good sign all season for the Rockets, who were 12-0 during the regular season when Capela scored 20 or more points and 21-0 when he had three or more blocks.

After posting 25 double-doubles in his first three seasons combined, Capela registered 42 this season. His work as the primary defender against Towns in Game 1 proved to be critical as the Rockets kept one of the league’s most dynamic bigs from getting untracked.

But it was just another day at the office for Capela, who relishes his role as the Rockets' hard-hat worker.

“I’m just trying to bring this every night, which means I feel great whenever I get up on guards or whenever I’m in the post,” he said. “I just try to focus on what I have to do. I’ve been studying these guys, so I know what they are looking for and which way they’re trying to go. So every single tine I just try to be ready and make their job hard.”

Capela’s work habits and diligence have paid off handsomely for the Rockets, who selected Capela at No. 25 in the 2014 draft.

Once Dwight Howard’s understudy, Capela’s rapid rise eventually led to him replacing Howard as the Rockets’ starting center and the ideal pick-and-roll partner for Harden, whose developed a spectacular chemistry with his 23-year-old big man.

Capela’s confidence in his fourth season has been off the charts, as he posted career-highs in minutes (27.5), points (13.9), rebounds (10.8) and blocks (1.9).

[​IMG]
    Clint Capela's breakout season was a key factor as the Rockets rolled to the best record in their history.

After seeing spot duty in place of an injured Howard during his rookie season, Capela continued making his presence felt around the rim on both ends, a trait that always seems to work well for a big man in Mike D’Antoni's offense.

“That’s why I’m still coming up and with energy and run hard, set screens and finish at the rim,” Capela said of his humble beginnings and evolution with the Rockets. “I’ve been doing it consistently and doing it well, which is why I’ve got my opportunity more and more. Now I’m starting, I’m trying to do it consistently every night at a high level. It’s been going well.”

If he can dial up a few more performances like he did in Game 1 against Towns and the Timberwolves, his breakout campaign could last deep into this postseason, perhaps into June.

“Clint is big right now,” Rockets reserve swingman Gerald Green said. “I mean, he’s our anchor. Defensively, that’s what makes him so special, not what he can do offensively, what he can do defensively to change the game for us. We need him to play like he did (in Game 1) for the rest of the games.”

Wednesday's Game 2 at Toyota Center is a good place to start for Capela, who is set for a substantial raise on his $1.2-million salary this summer as a restricted free agent.

“He was sitting at the kid’s table at the wedding for a long time,” D’Antoni said. “Now he’s giving toasts and stuff like that. He’s up with the guys now and they have confidence in him and he’s matured a lot. He’s terrific. He’s really, really good. He’s definitely undervalued. He won’t be this summer when he gets paid. But right now he is. People kind of sleep on him a bit, but he’s one of the better centers in the league.”

Deckard, Plowman, Deuce and 18 others like this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

Didn't some wise man say we wouldn't be a championship-caliber team with Capela at center?

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

And some of you wanted us to give him up for Deandre freakin Jordan

RudyTBag, roslolian, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

I think the next offensive evolution of Capela is more intelligent passing out of the PNR and high post. I see some glimpses of being able to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

bbholic faints...

6. riko

riko Member

He was so active in the first half

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Capela can develop any sort of consistent 10-ft jumper, he'd be the perfect center, for today's NBA.

seclusion, Rocket River and D-rock like this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah, that holic needs a new drug because basketball ain't for him. Capela is a difference maker with his energy.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idk... cornerstone.... does he eat lunch at the same table as James and CP3?

BigShasta and Game7 like this.
  10. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

i think in our offense if the forwards aren't taking mid range jumpers, capela certainly would not be taking them. he is getting 60+% FG doing what he does. no reason to throw in shots that at best would hit maybe 40% of the time

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe a jump hook instead. Doesn't hurt to keep improving and introducing new moves.

See Hames Harden.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

One thing shouldn't be overlooked is that Capela has terrific chemistry with Harden, this is another reason why the Rockets will probably do everything they can to keep Clint. For as good as James is, you never know, i mean, he shouldn't have any problem to develop good chemistry with other centers (like DeAndre), but just look at Chris, he had great chemistry with DeAndre but with Clint so far he doesn't, maybe/probably they'll get there but who knows...i think when you have two guys playing this well together, you've to valorize that.

13. Game7

Game7 Member

Nice DH reference.

kjayp likes this.
  14. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I want to see him drive more like the euro that he has pulled out on rare occasion. Jump hook would be cool too

D-rock likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ʎɔɐɹᴉdsuoɔ ɐᴉpǝW

Lawlruschang and seeingredtx like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a funny line by MDA:

"Wednesday's Game 2 at Toyota Center is a good place to start for Capela, who is set for a substantial raise on his $1.2-million salary this summer as a restricted free agent.

“He was sitting at the kid’s table at the wedding for a long time,” D’Antoni said. “Now he’s giving toasts and stuff like that. He’s up with the guys now and they have confidence in him and he’s matured a lot. He’s terrific. He’s really, really good. He’s definitely undervalued. He won’t be this summer when he gets paid. But right now he is. People kind of sleep on him a bit, but he’s one of the better centers in the league.”
    deserves its own thread

Lawlruschang, D-rock, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela will go down as Morey's best draft and will ALMOST make up for passing Kashi to get Baby Melo.

Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure DJ would be putting up similar numbers to Clint, if he were playing in this system with Harden and CP. To me, Clint's value going forward depends heavily on his ability to add another dimension to his game: He has to create scoring plays when Harden unloads the ball to him after a trap near half court. Clint has shown flashes of a reliable Euro finish and/or finding the open shooter. That's a role I've never seen DJ play. If Clint can do it reliably, it refutes the high trap and makes him worth paying more.

D-rock, dmoneybangbang, smp and 2 others like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Clint (Capela) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets," said Harden. "The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We've lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we'll be fine next season."

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Clint Capela is the perfect example of fitting a role that a team needs and doing it well. Major props to him for continuing to work on his game.

What I also like about Capela is whenever he gets switched onto a guard on the perimeter, I don't have a sinking feeling that he'll get scored on every single time. He does a fairly good job of moving his feet and trying to play to the spots the guard is going.

D-rock and kjayp like this.