1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com] Can Russell Westbrook bring back Mike D'Antoni's 'Seven Seconds or Less' offence?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chilly_Pete, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

https://ca.nba.com/news/can-russell...ds-or-less-offence/1bzv5guuo1kv21s95yc6xq3hig

2. smp

smp Member

I am definitely looking forward to some fast breaks and quicker play.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Probably not. Bc the rockets still have the same personnel outside of 1 player

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One thing I can see maybe happening is adding a quick offense element when it comes to fast breaks or delayed fast breaks. And then if it isn’t there revert to last two years offense.

Commingled still won’t be too 10 in pace or anything but maybe it gets us into the late teens in pace ranking.

da_juice likes this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

In spurts I don’t see why not. Russ attacking in transition maybe his greatest attribute. If he runs the second unit with Rivers, Gordon, House, and Chandler or even Bennett/Clark and GG/McLemore they should have plenty of opportunities to spot up after Russ sucks in the defense for some early open 3’s. Chandler’s and Westbrook’s defensive rebounding should help the second unit get out in transition a lot quicker than in previous years.

Capela’s ability to run the floor had me thinking about bringing Clint back in earlier than usual so he can run with Russ and the second unit for a few extra minutes per game. Maybe MDA can up his minutes a little this year if he has the conditioning for it.

I’m hoping to see more of an emphasis on increasing the pace with Harden on and off the court. Russ should benefit the team tremendously in this aspect. And I don’t think Harden’s isolation mastery has to suffer because of it.

MDA can figure this out.

Richie_Rich, da_juice, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  6. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

To be fair, Coach said himself on a podcast (I believe it was Wojs) that the term 7 seconds or less was inaccurate since the vast majority of the Phoenix offense was in the half court.

That being said while I expect more fast breaks, I don’t expect our pace to speed up significantly - especially since both majority ball handlers don’t like to push the pace after a made basket and our defense should be worst compared to last season.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is now Westbrick's Team. get used to it, sports fans

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see how many half court lob passes they do between the two.

Clint is prob the only one young and willing enough to hustle for that 1 in 10 chance tho.

Harden might occasionally cherry pick on defense too.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

It's actually perfect, part of why we were so predictable is that Harden and CP3 play the same way. Probing, waiting, slow paced half-court iso ball. Westbrook can play much faster and it's more unpredictable and you can mix it up. Have Westbrook line-up with some running mates and play fast and when Harden has the ball, play slower. Best of both worlds!

PeterKingX, D-rock and mike2k132 like this.
  10. mockster

mockster Member

MDA likes his rotation just like his offense only 7

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever heard of a 1 man fast break?

A guy like Westbrook can vastly change the dynamic of our tempo, especially one that grabs as many defensive rebounds as Westbrook.

I would be amazed If we aren’t top 10 in fast break points this year.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hell yes!! With Chris Paul and Harden its a slow, grinding pace. Gone are the days of the fast break and easy baskets.

With Old Man Paul thankfully gone, we can inbound the ball quickly and Russ should be on the other side of the court in 2-3 seconds either for a layup or in breaking down the D for open shots. It will exhaust the defense. I cant wait.

7 seconds or less baybayyyy!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I envision a lot of outlet passes from Harden to Westbrook. Hopefully they turn into a Westbrook dunk / layup instead of a pull up jumper in transition though.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  14. jb86

jb86 Member

Hopefully Russ can get Harden to run more.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Suns led the league in pace.

Now that was at a pace pretty much slower than everyone now... but it was definitely at the time an accurate moniker if not taken 100% literally

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pace is back on the menu boys.

D-rock likes this.
  17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I thought MDA could only coach an ISO offense?

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am looking forward to a quicker pace. So that will be nice.

D-rock likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think Russ could work in our system like Barbosa used to do in Phoenix. If not, let James handle the ball in the half-court or surround Russ with shooters so he has space to drive to the rim.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets, and james, worked hard for every basket last year. i'm looking forward to more fast break opportunities.

even though harden was historic at scoring in isolation, the defense was able to set itself up and catch a breath while harden/paul walked up the court. iso also lets 3-4 defenders rest at the same time. PnR usually lets 2-3 defenders rest at the same time. the defense wasn't spending any energy.

now if we have russ pushing the tempo guys have to sprint back on D... russ is also excellent at kicking out to assist a 3PA, so if nothing materializes on the break he can kick it out to ego, tucker, house, green, etc and send the defense scrambling... then if nothing turns up we can iso and PnR with harden... the defense will have to work work work.

i'm also expecting russ to improve his efficiency. not to CP3's HOF levels, but i do expect an uptick. he's a decent catch and shoot player. so if we get rid of his dribble 3's and fast break 3's his %'s will look average instead of historically bad. his TO% is from forcing everything all the time. even with KD and PG, those guys aren't primary ball handlers and russ was forcing the offense all the time. with james taking a lot of the load that % will drop for russ... again he may not be great but he will be better! playing iso ball with james is a very low TO offense.

da_juice, Relativist, D-rock and 3 others like this.