1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Boston’s Danny Ainge Named 2007-08 NBA Executive of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Omer, May 14, 2008.

1. Omer

Omer Member

ST. LOUIS - Sporting News has named Boston Celtics Executive Director, Basketball Operations and General Manager, the 2007-08 NBA Executive of the Year.

Sporting News polled general managers and other executives from all 30 teams, and Ainge received 18 of the 47 votes cast. He beat out Los Angeles Lakers general manager, Mitch Kupchak, who had 14 votes, and New Orleans Hornets general manager Jeff Bower who had 12.

“He orchestrated a stunning and record setting turnaround of a struggling team with two great trades and various other roster acquisitions.” said Brian Colangelo, President and General Manager of the Toronto Raptors and the 2005 Executive of the Year.

Pat Williams, Senior Vice President of the Orlando Magic added, “Ainge was the architect of the most dramatic NBA turnaround ever.”

Danny Ainge is the first member of the Boston Celtics to receive the Executive of the Year award since its inception in the 1972-73 season.

Stan McNeal, Sporting News NBA writer, will present the Executive of the Year award to Danny Ainge prior to Wednesday’s game 5 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals between the Celtics and Cavaliers.

----------

http://www.nba.com/ainge_executive_080514.html

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I can't say I disagree with Danny Ainge winning. But Mitch Kupchak? Seriously? So... What was his defining move? Was it Derek Fisher? Fisher virtually signed himself. He gave up a ton of money to stay with is daughter. No... He didn't trade Kobe? I don't think not doing anything qualifies you for Executive of the Year. Was it the Gasol trade? Yes, that must've been it.

I can't believe I didn't see it sooner. Mitch Kupchak is a great GM. Bravo, Mitch Kupchak! I have to hand it to you, I didn't see your grand plan. You traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown because you KNEW the Grizzlies would be dumping salaries! A-ha, you rogue! I could NEVER have made that decision.

I stand in awe of Mitch Kupchak. Who wants Daryl Morey when you could have Mitch Kupchak?

#2 blathersby, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

David Stern and Tim Donoughy accepts the award onn Danny's behalf

#3 Dave2000, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh to be a Laker GM where great deals fall on your lap.

Kinda makes Isaiah look even more ridiculous, if anyone thought that was possible...

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You can't argue with Ainge winning but I think McHale should be co-Executive of the Year (as a Celtic). Ainge has been a screw up without an old friend giving him a future HOF for some trash and a good young player.

6. weakbomb

weakbomb Member

Danny Ainge deserved. He carried team from low to top. But Celtics cant be champion.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Chris Wallace deserves the award for the Lakers.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

... and Kevin McHale.

Oh, and they and Chris Wallace should accept the runner up honor for Kupchak too.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOMBfyWVmqM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOMBfyWVmqM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't Vernon flop in that last play?

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Did you see the tiny little trophy he was awarded for this honor? My daughter has larger soccer trophies from Kindergarten. :)

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why did the Hornet guy get any votes at all?

13. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Yeah, you guys got screwed on two awards. Morey should have been executive of the year and the fact that Battier didn't win DPOY is a bigger joke than Camby winning it last year. Unreal.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nugget4, you are my favorite non-Rockets fan.

And I feel the pain in your sig.

15. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm just you guys' favorite non-Rockets fan when I agree with you. ;)