1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Bobcats’ Ely Asks for Trade With a Smile

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Omer, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Omer

Omer Member

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Jan. 8 (AP) -- Charlotte Bobcats forward Melvin Ely is still smiling and joking with his teammates. He has nothing but good things to say about coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff.

He's probably one of the happiest players ever to have asked to be traded.

Ely said on Monday he asked to be traded before a game against the Lakers on Dec. 29.

"You do that and normally coaches get upset. But the way it was handled, I ended up playing a whole quarter of the Lakers game. I'm playing here and there especially when guys aren't handling their business on the court.

"There are no hard feelings between the two of us. Things are basically just a waiting game.''

Ely doesn't hide his disappointment. The 6-foot-10 power forward turned down sign-and-trade offers from Golden State and Phoenix before the start of training camp. The restricted free agent then signed a one-year qualifying offer with Charlotte worth just more than $3 million.

Ely knew the Bobcats had a lot of power forwards, but he was confident he would get playing time after averaging a career-best 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds last season.

Instead, Ely has barely played. With Emeka Okafor and Sean May getting the bulk of the minutes, Ely is averaging 2.7 points and 1.5 rebounds. He hasn't gotten on the court in 12 games.

"You can walk around with a chip on your shoulder, but then bad things will happen,'' Ely said. "If I become a jerk, Bernie becomes a jerk. If I keep good manners and stay professional, Bernie keeps good manners and stays professional. I've been in this league long enough to know that jerks always lose in a fight with a coach. I don't want that reputation as a bad guy.''

Ely has remained positive because he remembers how Bickerstaff helped resurrect his career. The Clippers selected Ely with the 12th overall pick of the 2002 draft, but he barely played in two seasons in Los Angeles. Bickerstaff traded for Ely in 2004.

"He trusted me. Why would I be a jerk to a guy who restarted my career?'' Ely said.

Ely's attitude has impressed May.

"He's in his contract year and his future is in the balance,'' May said. "He doesn't know what he's going to do and he's not playing. But he comes out here and works hard. He could come out here and be a real (jerk), but he respects everybody and the coaching staff.

"It's a bad situation, but hopefully things will work out and be taken care of.''

Ely's name has been mentioned in numerous trade scenarios. He got hopeful when talk of a deal with New Jersey heated up involving Nets point guard Jeff McInnis. The Bobcats did acquire McInnis last week, but the Nets took Bernard Robinson and his smaller salary ($1 million) instead of Ely.

"Everyone knew I was a little disappointed with the New Jersey thing,'' Ely said. "Everybody came over and talked to me. It's hard to be down. Hopefully things will go my way.''

Ely can score in the low post, a talent that could help teams making a playoff push. Bickerstaff is still actively working on a deal, but hasn't discussed specifics. Charlotte would probably want to get a draft pick, although a first-round pick appears unlikely.

Ely remains hopeful he'll be dealt before the Feb. 22 trade deadline.

"I hope so. If not, I'll stay in shape and probably work out for teams over the summer,'' Ely said. "I'm just staying positive on both sides. I still love the guys on this team. I won't be a cancer on this team.''

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/ely_trade_070108.html

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Someone to nab with the TE, perhaps?

3. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

he could get the starting nod here.

PG- JL3
    SG-TMAC
    SF-battyHEY!
    PF- ely
    C- yaozafosho

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

to "nab" someone with the te means we have to cut someone. who is it that you want to cut?

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Sura?

6. studogg

then you just trade sura and save the te so you don't take on more salary

7. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

i dont think charlotte needs an expiring tho, they r way under the cap...

How about this

Rafer Alston
    Bob Sura
    Bonzi Wells

for

Brevin Knight
    Melvin Ely

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Padgett wouldn't make me lose sleep at night. Sura, of course, is a possiblity.

9. studogg

you don't just cut someone if you risk going into going into luxury tax land. Or at least no financially driven owner will.

going over the luxury tax threshold doesn't just mean a dollar for dollar tax on the salary, but also means that the team is no longer eligible for full profit sharing from the league. so even being over just a million means a much bigger hit than it seems.

I'm not sure that his contract would do that, but I would be much more inclined to trade a player to get a player as opposed to sending out a te and going into ltax land.

Now if we are talking about a true impact player that can be a cog for the near future, the ltax risk is worth it, but for Ely. well, i just don't know about that right now.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think there's a rule in the Collective Barganing Agreement that says if your name is Melvin and you score less than three points per game, you don't get to ask for a trade...

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sura and a draft pick for Ely sounds fine. Their salaries match well enough and Sura can retire once he is a Bobcat.

12. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Bonzi Wells is the best player by far out of that group. Why would you give him up with such a bargain contract?

How can we improve if we're giving up the best player?

If we want to go far in the playoffs this year we have to have Bonzi. We can beat Utah or the Lakers without Bonzi, but we coldn't beat the Suns or Mavericks without him in a long series. We need that extra weapon.

13. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I would do Sura and a pick for Ely in a heartbeat. The Rockets need an atheletic true PF that can run the floor, especially against teams like Dallas and Phoenix. I'd then turn around and look to upgrade the PG position with the TE.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we only had to give up small pieces like the TE or Sura, then it makes all the sense in the world.

Ely is at least on par if not better than all our PF options now, and he could play some backup C in a pinch.

DD

15. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Looking at his last year stats - he gives you some more offense compared to JHo and Hayes, less rebounding, and more turnovers, and more blocks. His +/- this year sucks. Any one know how to look at his last year +/- or PER?

I'm not familiar with him so I'm not sure what he gives us. JVG will not be enamored with his TO rate.

16. SunsRocketsfan

i still have hope for fat ass bonzi. but id do that trade in a second just to get rid of alston

17. LFE171

LFE171 Member

cough...bonzi.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was making a response to your use of the word "cut." What I really meant was that I wouldn't miss him. As for the luxury tax, Les has claimed in the past, if I'm remembering correctly, that he would flirt with it under the right circumstances.

19. studogg

Les' comments only reinforce what I was saying. I don't think we are arguing here as much as misunderstanding the other. IMO Ely is not that player that makes the circumstances right. I think you'd probably agree with that.

And if my post seem harsh as in directed to your comment, I apologize. My intent wasn't to chastise. I agree that I would prefer Ely over Padgett as well. Especially with Padgett's disappearing three point stroke.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree about Ely. He's not going to be seen as worth going over the luxury tax to get, but I don't know just what the ramifications would be with that. It would be nice to pick him up.

That other stuff is nothing. :)