1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.COM] BLOGTABLE: HARDEN FOR MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreaMac, Nov 5, 2014.

1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Spoiler alert: The hate is too real. Looks like none of these dummies have watched even a single game of Rockets so far. The usual "Harden plays no D" rants. Seriously? His defense from last year to this year is like Day and Night. He is focused on that end and is playing the best defense I have seen him play ever. Who pays these guys? :rolleyes:

> James Harden has said he’s the best player alive. Houston is undefeated, Harden is a potential scoring champ … is he a possible MVP, too?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: If James Harden were to win or even get serious voter consideration for MVP, it will be a statement as much about a certain taller teammate. Dwight Howard was supposed to be the man in Orlando, in Los Angeles and, yes, in Houston. So if someone else on his team gets Podoloff-worthy acclaim, folks will have to accept first that Howard’s star has fallen big-time. No matter how many points Harden scores or anything else he does night in, night out, the first level of MVP handicapping is, “How much help did the guy have?”

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com: A near triple-double on the night the Rockets went to 5-0 with an impressive win at Miami will certainly have the early drums beating loud, the flavor of the first two weeks. Harden finished fifth in the voting a year ago, and averaging 25+ points per game will always get you noticed. It’s fair to have him in the conversation. And he’ll stay there because in the absence of Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin, Harden’s offense will be needed even more. But unless he makes a quantum leap on defense — i.e. is interested all season — or the Rockets surprise everyone and run away with the best record in the West, I can’t see him jumping over LeBron James, Chris Paul or maybe even a recovered Kevin Durant.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: I could see it — as long as both situations hold true. If the Rockets are among the best teams at the end and if Harden is one of he top scorers while getting others involved, a trophy with a beard is not impossible to imagine. It sets up well. He has a high profile and doesn’t have to come from back in the pack, and he has the chance for extra credit if the Rockets do well when most expect a step back following the loss of Chandler Parsons and missing on Chris Bosh.

Shaun Powell, NBA.com: First: Harden must actually win the scoring championship, and there will be a handful of players with a say in that. Second: The Rockets must actually win 60-something games and make a strong bid for best record in the regular-season, tough to do in the West. Finally: Even if all of the above rings true, should we place little to no weight on playing defense? If so, then Dominique Wilkins is wondering where his MVP trophy is.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: He’d be a leading candidate for an “Offensive Player of the Year” award if there was one. But if you take both ends of the floor into account, Dwight Howard is just as important a player as Harden for the Rockets. While Harden is a liability on defense, Howard is holding the Rockets together on that end. The two of them are like Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in that they would likely split MVP votes if they were both healthy for the entire season and led their team to a top-three seed.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: Seriously? Just because a guy looks into a camera and says something preposterous we don’t have to legitimize it here. He could win the scoring title this season and that still won’t make him the MVP, not on my ballot. My MVP has to impact the game in more than just on facet. He’s an offensive juggernaut, an absolute scoring machine. I’m a huge fan of that part of his game. But he’s deficient on the other end to the point that it takes away from his overall value. The MVP of the league has to be a more complete player than Harden is right now.

Ian Thomsen, NBA.com: There are so many possible responses that I’m having trouble choosing one. (1) Didn’t they used to say the same thing about Tracy McGrady? (2) What happens in November stays in November. It’s too early to matter. (3) The best players earn their reputations during the playoffs … Let’s go with response (3) for now.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog: Sure, James Harden is a possible MVP, the same as Patrick Beverly or any other member of the Houston Rockets is a candidate. But let’s be real here: Harden’s defense remains indefensible, and as long as that narrative best explains his game, I find it hard to believe that voters will elect a one-way player into the MVP office. Harden may be an exceedingly great one-way player, but until he stops watching and starts participating on the other end, in my eyes he will not be MVP material.

Lock if posted.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What I love even more is how some of them even managed to squeeze in a few shots at Dwight Howard. How does an MVP discussion about Harden warrant a jab thrown Howard's way?? The national media is a total and complete joke. The fact that these guys get PAYCHECKS for doing this is a ****ing joke. I'm looking directly at you, Sekou Smith.

1 person likes this.
  3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Last night in Miami was one of the best, most complete games that I can ever remember watching Harden play.

That doesn't make him the leader for the MVP race or anything, but if he can keep up the same level of play- offense, defense and distributing- he will shut the haters up pretty fast.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not saying Harden's defense is all-nba or anything - but his defense over the first five games is markedly improved from the seasons past -- to me it sounds like only Fran (big surprise there) is the only one who has seen Harden make a much more of an effort on defense so far this season from their comments

1 person likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...did these sports writers forget they gave Nash back to back MVPs? All they want in this day and age is to have a good sports narrative to write about.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Just because Harden hasn't performed well in the playoffs doesn't mean it can be used a knock on him as an MVP candidate. It doesn't even make any sense considering it's a REGULAR SEASON AWARD! I'm also very sure these people aren't even watching him; they're just going off of the image the media has portrayed of him. Dude has been way better on defense compared to last year.

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Dang what's up Sekou Smith's butt?

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

At least for now, when you say Harden does not play defense, you are exposed. Five of the above 8 guys are now exposed that they didn't watch any of this season's Rockets games.

Harden does play pretty good defense now. Can it last a whole season long is another question.

It's also legitimate that Howard need to be put into discussion.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, he is one of the worst writers in all of sports. Just turrible.

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

was more focused on fran's comments. heavy emphasis on "is interested all season". he's watched some rockets games this season. totally fair by blinebury/weirdo.

edit: noticed yoyo caught it also.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He wants to be the cool kid that hangs with Rick Fox. Sucking his **** and hating on Dwight and HOU lets him sit in the cool kids table.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

SOMEONE PLZ MAKE A HARDEN GOOD DEFENSE MONTAGE...in due time, obviously

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It's like they have erased from their minds that Dirk and Nash have won the MVP.

I bet none of them had a problem with either of those 2 winning.

As others have said it's obvious some haven't watched The Rockets play this season. Just looked at the box scores and assumed that yeah it looks nice but he's not playing defense.

14. JazzLakerHater

Harden's defense became so viral last year, it's probably going to take years for the "no defense" label to go away.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's soooo soooo early, why does the media even go there? Are they that bored?

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...looking at the list of past MVP winners, I'm still pretty upset that David Robinson got the MVP award over Hakeem(who came in 5th!) back in the mid 90s.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The media doesn't like Harden because he looks very average on highlight reels.

It's the same reason the Spurs are always overlooked and the Clippers/Warriors are continually overrated.

18. Simon Honeybone

Why does anyone give a flying rats ass this early in the season?

19. Dr Dunkenstein

No. All it will take is for some national guy to actually talk about it. That would completely change the narrative. Maybe JVG could be the guy. Have him come on TNT or ESPN somewhere and bring up Harden's renewed focus on D.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good. It's clear that the viral video of Harden playing terrible defense has motivated Harden to put in more effort on that end of the court this season. So let's hope this further motivates him. Because I am absolutely loving this motivated and beastly Harden we're seeing.