1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA coaching styles

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gumbleton3, Jun 12, 2010.

1. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Not sure where to put this but at the moment I am doing a coaching assignment and I would like some help with identifying the different coaching styles in the NBA.

i.e Authoritarian (strict coach who is harsh on his players with communication being only from coach)
    Democratic (coach who ensures that there is 2 way communication with his athletes and is more athlete orientated)

Could someone help me identify which current coaches fit into these categories and provide examples of why they do.

Thanks

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what about mike brown style...lebron please do everything

1 person likes this.
  3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Not NBA but Bill Parcells was notorious for being Authoritarian.

Phil Jackson would definitely be a communicator.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Reminds me of Jeff Van Gundy. Play defense and Tracy will take care of our offensive game.

5. lovecats

lovecats New Member

what style does our coach belong to? adelman.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Adelman is a systems coach. He just works on a system then lets it do all the work. I think there are several coaching styles:

1. Authoritarian-These guys are usually defense oriented and love micro-managing plays. Examples: JVG, SVG, Skiles, Pops.

2. Systems coach-These guys have an over-arching philosophy or system they adhere to, however they allow their players a great deal of freedom as long as they follow the philosophy of the team. Examples would be RA, Flip Sauders.

3. Players coach-These guys specialize in building up and/or managing players and are perfect for either rebuilding teams or contenders filled to the brim with top-class talent. Compared to the systems and authoritarian coaches they are usually not as good at the Xs and Os, however their people skills allow them to get the best out of their players. Good examples would be Doc Rivers and the Thunder's coach (name escapes me at the moment).

Of course their would be some overlap. For example Pops is both a systems coach and authoritarian, he runs a tight leash however once you gain his trust he'll start giving you more freedom to do what you want. OTOH PJ is both a systems and a player coach. He has the triangle as his system, however at the same time he's really good at managing player's egos.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Or Alvin Gentry, Steve you are the coach.

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Oh please don't remind me of those days. :eek:

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Scott Brooks ;)

10. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

TRIANGLE OFFENSE! Then diss the other team's players by saying their PG carries the ball a lot. Make sure you stay calm though!

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And yelling at multi-million dollar celebrities!

12. OvenproofBadger

I really don't think you give Mike enough credit, lebron didnt do it all, he was vocal on the court, but u guys are too harsh. U didnt see what went on at practice etc, he was a very good coach, just not quite good enough to take the Cavs all the way

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Adelman is the 'my way or the highway' type of coach and frequently gives you the WTF substitution (yanking a hot player out the game,putting shane on kobe and many more sick **** like that)

14. HombreDeHierro

Who else should he put on Kobe...
    Budinger? lol Ariza, but Battier has shown he's still better at guarding Kobe

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ariza is actually the better defender.
    His length is what gives Kobe trouble... unfortunately Ariza's defense is very inconsistent and he gambles... a lot.

If Battier had Ariza's length and athleticism... Battier would single-handedly win every single DPOY award for the entire length of his career.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

We did have that game where Taylor did a lot better guarding Kobe than anyone expected, but obviously expectations are lower for Taylor as compared to Battier and Taylor's just overall inferior to the others. So yeah, you put Batman.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ariza.

The problem with battier's defense is that kobe is immune to that because he already has trainer that face guards him everyday. The people that give kobe trouble are the ones with abnormal wingspans (ariza,outlaw....) and others that play him PHYSICAL.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I saw him letting his assistant coach call the plays. LMAO, what else do I need to know? :confused: