1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Changes?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cohen, Jan 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Good article at http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/columns/psx/20010105/shotclockotherrulesn.html

I would add that the Refs should be better trained and full-time, and maybe they need another one on the floor. They anticipate fouls, so the most athletic players (the ones that can pull-off remarkable plays) get called because the Refs don't believe that they could have done it.

------------------
    Cohen

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I say that the NBA should do some addition by subtraction.

First, get rid of a team. Expansion has drained the talent pool tremendously since the NBA expanded in the late 80's. Not suprisingly, that's also when scoring started on a steady decline. I say that the NBA should get rid of the Clippers....That's it, poof!! The Clippers are gone..I mean, it's not like the Clippers actually serve a purpose. The only reason that the Clips get any fans at all is because tickets are so cheap...I heard one story that LA area McDonalds resturants give away a free pair of Clippers tickets with a happy meal purchase, but it's unconfirmed...

Next, get rid of the zone defense rule. Now, I know many people might say, "but that will slow down the game!!" Basketball isn't all about speed and fast breaks, it's about proper offensive execution and making shots. When a team plays a zone defense, they force the opposing team to be creative with their offensive sets and make players do such absurd things pass and move without the ball...(yes kids, a backdoor is more than just a way to get to your garage!) When a player isolates, the opposing team knows that the player's other teammates will be standing around the perimeter so as not to get in his way while he drives to the basket. All a team has to do is clog up the middle and force that player into a bad shot.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important reason to get rid of illegal defense...Every friggin' team plays a zone anyways!! Seriously, the refs could probably call an illegal defense on half the trips down the floor. It doesn't matter how you look at it...When a player stands at the free throw line with the opposing player above the three point line, the guy is not defending ANYBODY.

The reason that the NBA outlawed the zone was so that the league could market its star players. Because a player can only be double-teamed if he has the ball, then it supposedly increases scoring. Well, afer watching Stackhouse's 46 point output in a Pistons loss against Houston, it's pretty clear that balanced scoring is what wins basketball games, not a player scoring a ton of points. The NBA has focused too much on entertainment and not enough on developing and promoting the greatest sport in the world...

Also, and I know this sounds radical, but CONSIDER getting rid of the three point line. Almost every night, we hear Calvin Murphy talk about "stop and pop". He is correct, the mid range game has almost disappeared from NBA basketball. Trust me, NBA teams had NO trouble scoring 100 points before the three point line was introduced in 1979. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I know there were less than ten combined three pointers attempted in the highest scoring game in NBA history (Pistons 186 Nuggets 184) back in 1983

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

3. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

A-Train

no offense... but the clippers r playing hard n much better than half the bottom feeders this season. they have tons of talent. sure their owner sucks. but their coach and team is promising.

btw getting rid of one team wouldnt solve alot. then they'd have to tamper w/ the schedule.

a few suggestions for the league and college
    college kids cannot leave unless theyve had 2 years unleeeeesss their family is in desprete need of money or they made all american

another rule that needs some clarifying is the calling a charge foul

suspensions need to be given for players who r babies.

------------------
    --TEX

4. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

A-Train--

I've also thought a lot about getting rid of illegal defense and just letting teams play all the zone they want...but if you're going to do that you can't take away the three point line, because there has to be a way to discourage teams from playing zone also...

Most people look at you crazy when you mention allowing zones in the NBA, and yeah, there are some drawbacks to it, because there would be lower scoring games and it would take away from the individual talents that the NBA loves to market and holds so dear.

But when you look at college basketball, and depite being hurt by all the players leaving early and such, it still is a superior product compared to the NBA. I can't call those who don't share this opinion stupid, but if you need some convincing all you have to do is look at the TV contract CBS has with the NCAA tournament--the money involved is insane, even compared with the BCS, NBA, anything, and there's a reason for that. And sure, there are other factors that contribute to this other than zone defenses, but in college it is more about teams rather than individuals, and I think that's what makes it so intriguing.

------------------

5. Steve_Francis_rules

A-Train:
    If a team were to be removed it would be unfair to make it the Clippers just because they're terrible. What about they Bulls? They're the worst team in the league. The only fair solution would be to get rid of the most recent team entered into the league, either the Griz or the Raptors.

------------------

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

SFR, the Bulls also have the best attendance in the league. Let's not forget about the six titles and the great players that have played for the bulls. Despite their lousy record, the city of Chicago LOVES the Bulls, and Chicago is an excellent all around sports town. The Bulls have a rich history, and I'd be willing to bet that Bulls merchandise is still among the top half of NBA teams in sales. As for Vacouver and Toronto, the NBA wants to expand it's global image, and would never take a team out of Canada unless it was absolutely necessary.

The truth is that The Clippers have no history, no fan support, no management, no NOTHING...The Clippers were unwanted by not one, but TWO cities, and they're one of the sorriest pro sports franchises of all time.

With The Clip Joint out of the way, the talent on that team could be spread around and make the rest of the league better overall...

All you need is a little rearrangment...With the Clippers gone, move the Grizzlies to the Pacific Division and move Milwaukee (which was originally in the Western Conference, I believe) to the Midwest Division...Four divisions with seven teams each....

Baseball TALKS about contraction...The NBA should ACT upon it!

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Why do you figure? I have heard people say that they don't even like NBA, but love college. Can't say I agree, but it may be because I have not watched enough college ball.

------------------
    Cohen

[This message has been edited by Cohen (edited January 05, 2001).]

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Most of the ideas in there are too radical. Only 4 players on each side? A league should not totally change the principles of its sport just to put a better product on the floor.
    One thing not mentioned that I'm in favor of is the five second rule, which they use in high school and college. It would eliminate those long isolations.

------------------

9. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

When I say it's a superior product, I'm just saying that it is so much more fun to watch, Of course that's just my opinion, though...college just has this atmosphere that I don't think can be compared to...so many more good stories, especially come tournament time.

The tourney IMO is the single greatest sporting event to ever exist...I'm in college right now, and let me tell you my spring break vacation only lasts 3 days--because by that Thursday I have to be back home watching...I never miss a second. I'm still a big fan of the NBA, but college hoops is my baby.

------------------

10. Steve_Francis_rules

Another reason college can survive so many players leaving early is that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the names on the back. It's all about the team, not the individuals.
    A-Train:
    The NBA should not be contracted because you cannot fairly determine which team to get rid of. The Clippers don't have any history. Of course neither do the Hornets, Cavs, Mavs, Heat, T-Wolves, Magic, Suns, Griz, or Raptors.
    Some of those teams don't have that much fan support either. Who is determine which of these teams is most unworthy of being in the league?

------------------