1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NBA Center Mt. Rushmore

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htwnbandit, Feb 19, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I think it was Andrew Luck that said there should be a Mount Rushmore of NBA Centers all on it's own, and I agree, so here goes.

Hakeem
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

Russell gets in because of how he innovated the game. His offense was still subpar, his teams were absolutely stacked and I still believe the competition at center was weak, other than Wilt.

The competition thing is also a knock on Wilt. I think the average C was 6'9 at that time, a full 7 inches below Wilt. People overblow his 50 ppg season, but what would he do with proper competition in the 80s? No way. Still a great center, but people seriously overblow what he did in the early 60s.

Kareem can be argued to be the greatest C, but I still have a couple of things going against him. He is the all-time leading scorer, and did so with his Skyhook, but he couldn't quite carry a team to the championship. He always needed a hall of fame PG to help him out, whether it be Robertson or Magic.

Hakeem to me is a no-brainer to be the best C, but there's one thing that probably keeps him from being in the discussion by the media. That's the fact that FIVE of Dream's years were spent on fairly weak Rockets teams that lost in the first round pretty much every year after Sampson departed, basically a rebuilding period. And when he got the right pieces, that's when he started winning and even with those pieces, you can argue that Hakeem had way less around him than Kareem, Russell or even Wilt did. Otis Thorpe, a 1x All Star and a past-prime Clyde were the only teammates he had with accolades, and who knows what he could've won had Sampson not gone down. Hakeem's post moves were unbelievable, dominated his competition and is the all time leader in blocks, and destroyed Kareem in the playoffs. Even if you're not a Rockets fan you can't argue against Hakeem being in the top 4.

2. JeffGreen

JeffGreen Member

No Yao Ming?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yyXeOzz3aDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. dragician

dragician Member

Yao Ming belongs to Xīyuè mountain.

4. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

In any list ranking the greatness of big men, I'm still going to have to put Shaq and Kareem before Olajuwon. I'd rather start my team with both of the others before I'm picking Hakeem and I'm saying this as a die-hard Rockets fan.

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

1995; remember that year?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Superstar QB and NBA analyst? That guy can do it all.

Anyway, my top 4 would be the same as yours, but I wouldn't be upset if someone replaced one of those guys with Shaq.

7. FearTheBeardJH

Russell/Kareem are obvious the best, closest to them is Shaq then 4th it's Hakeem. Wilt is 5th, but there is clear difference between him and top 4.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

How old are you? Serious question.

9. dback816

dback816 Member

Trying to copy tinman are we

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sadly, most people's mountain outside of Houston would be Dreamless.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Shaq-Dream matchup pretty much a wash. Hakeem's teammates whopped Shaq's. The experience from the previous year's Finals was of great help.

12. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

take out Wilt for Shaq

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You sound like a student of the game. This thread is one of my favorites that I've ever been a part of on clutchfans:

Hakeem or Wilt:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=234582&highlight=hakeem+wilt

I've looked at the history of head to head battles between centers and there are very compelling arguments for Hakeem being the greatest to ever play the game. Its's not a short list, either. And there are plenty of head to head stats that say Hakeem was the best. The one center where my argument is weak is against Moses Malone. Malone played very well against every center he face during his prime. He was a playoff performer and played his best against the best.

I personally think the position has never been played at a higher level than when Russell did it though. Coach Bill was the anchor in more championships than anyone in history. This is including baseball. (DiMaggio is the only person who comes close)

#13 don grahamleone, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  14. likestohypeguy

This was brilliantly done until he got to white mamba. that gave it away that it was a troll take. It was mj because "everyone says so & he doesn't want ppl to get mad", then yao & lin because that's when he started, stopped, and started again watching, but then he needed a white guy. MJ, bird, lin, and yao would have been beautiful. Still ridiculous, but it would have held up internally.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

Lolwut. Forgot about Penny Hardaway? On paper, the Magic had a much better roster(1st seed compared to 6th seed); clearly, you are underestimating the heart of a champion.

A 6'9 center who shot 44% from the field and had a very pedestrian 56% from the ft line?

With those percentages, you would probably miss with the hammer while carving Mount Rushmore and watch the whole attraction crumble.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

11 rings and 2 NCAA titles would disagree with your stats.

Russell
    Wilt
    Dream
    Kareem

In that order. While I think dream would have been the better player if he got to play in their era, you can only compare a player to their peers. Unlike Shaq and Kareem, dream didn't have the good fortune of playing most of career with an all-nba level guard.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's basically saying that statistically Hakeem and Shaq had similar numbers, which is on point. And the Rockets swept the Magic... so defacto... of course the rest of the Rockets played better.

It's not an incredibly healthy thing to focus the debate on anyway. They are VERY close players in terms of rankings, but were at completely different points in their careers. I'd argue that Hakeem was fundamental to his otherwise inferior teammates outperforming Shaq's otherwise superior teammates, in terms of leadership alone.

But Shaq has plenty of rings.

To me, Shaq and Hakeem are equal. Shaq was clearly the more dominant, if less "skilled" player, offensively. Hakeem was clearly the more dominant player defensively.

To me 3 of the 4 on Mt. Rushmore are obvious - Kareem (who should be on the every player in history Mt. Rushmore), Shaq and Hakeem. I don't really care who the 4th is. I can't accurately gauge Wilt/Russell given the era.

As an aside, in my mind, Tim Duncan is a center. EVERYTHING about his game reads center.... even when compared to more old-school PFs.... he'd still fit in more as a center, to me. He's been THE anchor in the middle, defensively, his whole career. His offensive game, despite the neat mid range jumper he has, starts with a back to the basket, close to the basket post up game. His fluidity and size speak center.

And as a center, I'd also place him in that group just behind the 3 I mention.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Not saying Hakeem's teammates were better on paper, just saying they performed much better than Shaq's. The center matchup was a wash.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Agreed. Hate Duncan's position historically. "Greatest PF ever!!!"... smh Guess 6th best center doesn't have the same ring.

I also believe Shaq was prime by his 3rd season ('94-'95). He posted some of his best career numbers by this time.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

*2nd season ('93-'94)