1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA 2K1 anyone (again)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by burlesk, Jul 4, 2001.

1. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Just thought I'd ask. I've been going online, off and on, for a few weeks now. (I'm in VT.) I think it'd be fun to play some of you folks, though it might be painful for me to give up playing as the Rockets... I'm about at a medium skill level. I'm starting to win pretty routinely on pro level with an amped-up Rockets squad featuring the Glide in a trade from the '80s West All-Stars, an amped-up Eddie Griffin creation and an amped-up Dream creation (got tired of being abused by big men, wanted to abuse back a little, though I thought Dream was perhaps even better in 2K1 than in 2K -- best of all, I turn injuries OFF). I expect to lose Glide soon as I improve, go back to poor Cat, he looks so sad sitting on the bench, staring into space... of course, online it's all default rosters... just wanted to give a picture of my skill level to all you hordes of interested playas... and avoid disappointing "80 and 2 on all-star level with the regular Rox roster" ZRB (I think it was ZRB, apologies if I'm wrong)... no comp here for such skills.

Email me or something if you're interested in setting something up... I haven't tried to set up anything this way before... Of course, I can get games anytime, but playing against one of you intelligent Rockets fans might be more fun... [​IMG] (No brown-nosing intended; I like to chat a LITTLE before and during games, not just bandy insults back and forth...)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So how is 2k1? Ive been stuck on Live for 6 years now, never got a Dreamcast but next year 2k2 will be on the PS2 (no online) so I can check it out. Does it truly blow Live 2001 away?

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That's right, 80-2. And I didn't even try hard on the two losses. I wish the game was more challenging. I've had to create "super-teams" featuring created players with 100 percent shooting abilities to play against, in order to have any challenge at all. I still sweep them in the playoffs every time.

I wish I could play it online, but I'm not going to pay to do that. Oh well.

I'm thinking of changing my roster, and maybe featuring players like Scott Burrell, Kelvin Cato, and Zan Tabac. Maybe I'll try going 82-0 with the Bulls' roster. I think I could do that...

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited July 04, 2001).]

4. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Dang you guys are FAST.

5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I can't really help you with the comparison, Ziggy. I've never played Live. I only have the dreamcast because i had to email my family and it was cheaper than a computer or webtv. Still, i am a video gamer since the days of Pong and it is one of the best games i've ever played (even better than Pong). I am convinced they call illegal defense too often, and agree (with ZRB, i think it was) about there being too many steals, among other things... it doesn't realy detract from it too much for me, as i am not fully hardcore about it and am able to suspend my disbelief enough to be satisfied...

------------------

"burlesk" spelled sideways is "lurk bs e", which is true in my case.

[This message has been edited by burlesk (edited July 04, 2001).]

6. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I gotta say, ZRB, that the beauty of going online for you, hypothetically (aren't there supposedly free isp's out there?) might be that you would find other players at your level. I have a friend who claims skills similar to yours; I find it amazing (as I consider myself no slouch at video gaming -- there's always someone better, though, right?), but suppose that with enough time I might get there, too -- I used to take such things to heart and spend the time, but now i have to budget my time a bit differently, as perhaps you are doing with your money... anyway, there ARE definitely amazing players out there, people who triple my score with the game on all-star and fast speed, seemingly without trying at all... people who are ranked, who play in the "league" ("dricas" or whatever)... just thought I'd mention it.

Is it just that you put in the days and hours of practice, or is it that you have some different approach, or...

what? Can you bottle it and sell me some? I'd like to be able to compete better with the online elite, but suspect it will be a long pull to get there... I will have to be patient... I enjoy the game enough to stick with it as long as Sega provides the service, I think...

Anyway, I'd say if you go 82-0 with the Bulls on all-star, you have gotten the most you are going to get out of the game, offline anyway...

------------------

7. ScreamingRocketJet

I used to play Live (since Lakers v Celtics) and had played it each year through until I played NBA2K1...

To put it mildly...they are not even comparable. The sega game is much better...and I mean MUCH better.

I got a copy of Live 2001 a few weeks ago...and it's seriously not playable after playing NBA 2K1.

Live 2001 is an okay arcadish type game...but the other one is a really good sim...but still has quite a few flaws.

I am 30...and my game time is way down nowadays, just got married etc...but I really hope SOMEONE (ANYONE!) comes up with the perfect b-ball game one day soon.

------------------

8. stringthing

stringthing Member

As someone who owns a PS2 and a Dreamcast, I gotta say that there is NO comparison between the 2. NBA2K1 is simply the best basketball simulation available on ANY platform.

[This message has been edited by stringthing (edited July 04, 2001).]

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I play on All-star mode, fast speed, usually with the Rockets. I don't spend any time practicing strategies, and I don't run any plays.

A few tips:

If you have a good ball-handler, try to drive it to the basket every time. The drive and dish is the best play in the game.

When the opposing team runs a post up play, use one of your guards to steal the ball from the big man. This works almost every time.

Just keep driving to the basket, and you'll start winning games. Also, run a few post up plays.

Good luck. I'm about to take some lowly team to the best record ever. Probably not the Bulls, because they have too many created players on their roster. (Curry, Chandler)

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

10. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Z. I've been working on having that guard stealing from the big man backing me down, in fact just setting a double team on Shaq gets me the ball about half the time the Lakers have it. Mainly need to get the timing down on that. Also been working on the drives but that steal glitch screws me up too often still. Was a lot easier on NBA 2K, probably too easy. I was wondering if using plays was a key. Seems to me like just calling for a pick does the trick most of the time... I tend to use icon passing more than directional, so I haven't perfected the drive and dish yet (don't have the court vision and the buttos skills to always get the ball to the open man while driving, yet). You say it's about the best play, so I'll work on it. (I feel like I'm talking to the coach...)

Maybe you could create a team of players with all their attribute points taken away to really challenge yourself? [​IMG]

------------------

11. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

OK, I think I know how to stop doing this now... double post.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Been playing live pretty regularly since '95 for the Genesis. (Awesome game). But the last one I have is 2K for the PC. Getting 2-4 losses a season has become pretty normal. I don't think I'm going to bother with 2K1...is it that much different from 2K?

In any case, with all the rule changes and now Memphis I'll wait for the next one...rather have a big upgrade than a little one.

Rok

------------------
    "Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by a horrible c***: ME."
    - Brick Top, Snatch

[This message has been edited by Rokkit (edited July 04, 2001).]

13. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

The main difference to me with NBA 2K1 would be that you can go online and get better comp...

------------------

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

well i just had to post here.

I have 2k1 and I love it. Best BBall game I have ever played. The only thing i have a problem with is the way it keeps stats. I dont really like the interface that much but it isnt that bad.

I dont really like the internet connection though. Phantasy Star and NFL 2k1 are good, but NBA2k1 has a little lag time that annoys me, hence I dont play that much online. Ive Dreamcast for almost 6 months now and Ive been playing with the same 50 hours online offer that came with the system [​IMG] they never check to see if ive gone over, and the few times it does expire i just resubscribe to the "trial" offer, and i stay online for free [​IMG]

BTW PSO is the most addicting game EVER.

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

15. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

You're right. Sometimes I'll get a really great connection with someone where it's almost exactly the same as playing offline, but usually there's a slight lag... and then there's the times, usually avoidable, when the connection is poor and you keep getting disconnected, or the game'll freeze for 20 seconds...

------------------
    Hey, the mass of men lead lives of QUIET desperation, buddy...

... one of the least informative posters on the board since July 2001, and an aspiring member-in-training of the rather exclusive Newbie Triple-Post Club.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

it isnt so much the freezing and stuff that annoys me, its the slight lag, wher you press a button and it takes half a second or so to actually move. Makes it almost impossible to play d against the human opponent 1 on 1. Its still fun, but its way better playing live against a friend than going online.

I hear NBA2k2 is supposed to solve this problem, or so they say, and if thats true i might pick up the game.

BTW the few times i do get online, its as Othella.

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, CriscoKidd/Othella. I have been going on a few times a week, just lately, so I'll keep a look out for you. Maybe I'll get lucky, that would be cool, especially if the lag wasn't too noticeable (I swear once in a while it's been really negligible)...

I'll be burlesk1.

------------------

... one of the least informative posters on the board since July 2001, and an aspiring member-in-training of the rather exclusive Newbie Triple-Post Club.

[This message has been edited by burlesk (edited July 06, 2001).]

18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

... and which drugs would you recommend doing so I can tell what your sig-art is? [​IMG]

Wait, is it Captain Kangaroo as Dracula?

------------------

[This message has been edited by burlesk (edited July 06, 2001).]