1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nathan's Famous is coming to Houston!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xsatyr, Aug 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

1 person likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Subscriber article. Where is it going to be?

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Weird because I am not subscriber. It's going to be at Memorial City Mall which is a drive for me. Hopefully it does well and we can get more locations.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

post the article

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

"I've waited 25 years, I can wait a little longer.

The first Nathan's Famous hot dog restaurant in Texas is coming to Memorial City Mall. The grand opening will take place in about three months.

This is the joint that holds the Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island. Last month, Joey Chestnut scarfed 69 Nathan's franks to set a record.

These hot dogs are delicious - and don't tell me about packaged Nathan's hot dogs in your supermarket. They're not the same. Nothing compares to eating a Nathan's hot dog right off the flat top grill with sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard.

You want an authentic New York hot dog? This is the real deal.

But you know something? I like Nathan's french fries more than I like their dogs. Nathan's fries are thick-cut, with a nutty flavor, crispy on the outside and soft like a baked potato on the inside. Here's the secret: While 90 percent of french fries are made from starchy Russet potatoes, Nathan's uses Katahdins, a low-starch potato grown in Maine. Katahdin fries are dark, with sweet undertones, like George Clooney's performance in "Up in the Air."

Last year, for several weeks, there was a Katahdin shortage, and Nathan's had to use Russets. You would have thought that space aliens were coming ashore on Coney Island beach. When the Katahdins returned, the sigh of relief drowned out the screaming on the Cyclone roller coaster.

I will keep you posted on Nathan's arrival in Houston." - Ken Hoffman

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

thanks

7. droxford

droxford Member

What the .....?!?! This is Texas. We eat chili and cheese on our hot dogs...Not cabbage. You ain't from around these parts, are ya?

Thanks for the article, though. :)

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Thought they were national. Theyre not that great, and theyre expensive.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Fairly common in airports. Not sure what's the big deal here given Houston has James Coney Island.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

James Coney Island sucks.

11. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Yeah they used to be awesome but I've been disappointed my last few trips.

12. Classic

Classic Member

Way to oversell.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I've been to Nathans in Coney Island and wasn't impressed. It's off my bucket-list and wonder why I even had it on there to begin with! The funny thing is that they sell Fish & Chips, Philly Steaks, hamburgers and a variety of other menu items there. The one thing that I enjoyed was that the Wonder Wheel from the Warriors was practically next door to it, and you can stroll down the beach which is a total contrast to walking in Manhattan.

14. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I'm totally from Texas. I love hotdogs with beans in my chili and cheese. ;)

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I dislike sauerkraut on my hot dog.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

Hoffman knows what's up with the fries.

Many a fond memory with my dad in NYC. Order of fries, ask for a paper bag on the side. Dump fries in bag, dump in a packet or 2 of salt. Shake up, let cool down for a minute. Eat.

Heaven.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Nathan's is a very good hot dog. The Nathan's in airports is just airport food with a logo. It isn't the same.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ohh was just at memorial city mall Sunday evening. Yeah. Saw that sign.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Are you talking specifically about the one in Coney island? Or all over? I've been to several near me, and there nothing special. They taste very good, but there's better local places and their prices are high.

20. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

so in terms of rankings at the memorial city mall food court, will it beat Chik Fil A? Because I still don't think it will trump that fine establishment