1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nash vs. Barkley] Better SUN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Asian Sensation, Apr 26, 2012.

?

Barkley or Nash

1. Barkley

45 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Nash

41 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. Asian Sensation

So last nights game and the love the Suns fans showed Nash got me to thinking if that was Steve Nashs' last game as a Phoenix Sun.... who had the better career as a Sun and who will go down as the greater player for the Phoenix organization?

Now I know Nash was actually drafted by Phoenix and he played many more years in Phoenix than Barkley but I will always associate Barkley as a Sun because he had some of his best years there. Although Barkley played well in Philly and for us he will always be synonymous with the Phoenix Suns. Also, I realize they played different positions but their accomplishments are quite similar in terms of what they accomplished while they were there.

In Nash's second stint (I don't really count the first one) with the Suns he led the Suns to an NBA best 62-20 record. When Barkley was traded to the Suns he also led them to an NBA best 62-20 record. They both won MVP awards respectively in their first year. Barkley in 93 and Nash in 2005.

Of course Nash also won a second MVP the next year but was never able to take the Suns to the NBA Finals. Something Barkley was able to do. I won't count the obvious All Nba Teams and All Star appearances but if you look back they were both surrounded by similar players who were borderline All-Stars, stars and good role players. Players like Kevin Johnson, Thunder Dan, Ced Ceballos, Richard Dumas etc. compared to players like Amare, Matrix Marion, Joe Johnson, Q-Rich etc. And because of Nash and Barkley both Mike D'Antoni and Paul Westphal were considered good coach's at one point and time.

Is there a unanimous decision?

2. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

good topic. I would imagine that Phoenix Sun fans think more fondly of Nash because he was there longer and has the type of personality that everyone likes.

Barkley can be kind of a pain in the ass sometimes but Nash has been nothing but a class act and a team first guy (with a funny off court personality to match). In an era where demanding trades and leaking team info to the media Nash has been refreshing low-key and loyal. He's a first ballot HOFer without a doubt.

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Barkley went further in the playoffs and actually got to the finals. That's what tips me in favor of Round mound.

4. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Consecutive MVPs...Nash Wins

5. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Yeah but not worthy of both.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Tough call. I'll give Barkley the edge because his Suns were a real power-house that were multi-year contenders. The Suns under Nash had maybe 2 years of being legit (2005 and 2006) before it fell apart.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Barkley did more and had lesser teammates. Nash is a great guy, rightfully popular, but never came close to being more than a paper tiger either in Dallas or in Phoenix.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Barkley got his team over a hump Nash could not. So Barkley wins. He had KJ who is underrated but Nash had Stoudemire.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Thread too difficult. Too much thinking required.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Barkley took his team to the final and he had a higher PER than nash.

Here were CB4's stats in the playoffs those years:
    41.8 26.5 13.4 4.1

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Barkley was just the man. Some of his stats were just out of this world. and the guy was basically 6'4" and averaged 22 ppg and 11.7 rpg...

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Barkley IMO.

13. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

I'll say the 93 Suns were fun to watch. I used to love the Suns intro from back in the day. I don't know which team was first to use Alan Parsons Sirius song first for their home introductions (I know Chicago did it too), but Phoenix always did it best and the song was more appropriate for a desert city.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kBxux-eHpZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Ricky Steamboat did it first and he'd come out breathing fire so that beats any silly CGI or stupid mascots the Suns and Bulls had. Plus he whooped Macho Man's rear end. Macho Man would eat the gorilla for breakfast.

15. Mariachi ROCKET

Nash Wins!!!! Hands Down!

16. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

LOL Ricky Steamboat, yes he did it first, that is true!

17. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Its easy for people to say Barkley, because Nash is so underrated

But i cant look over the impact Nash had on that Suns team when he got there, winning 60 games a year like nothing

They both had the same impact.

Neither stood above each other defensively, maybe Barkley was better( but its a coin-toss)

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nash is great but Barkley is one of the top 10 players of all time.

DD

19. gambingo

gambingo Member

To be fair to Nash, he would have made it to the finals had Amare not been suspended in the conference series against the Spurs. My memory isn't good, correct me if im wrong, the Spurs went on and won the title that year. Still i would go with Sir Charles, he was just a beast when he was in his prime with the Sun.

20. VBG

VBG Member

Top 10 of all time? Really?

I have never seen anyone put Barkley in a top 10 of all time.