1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NASA Has Found A New Solar System With 7 Earth-Size Planets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wow, that's very cool. I was wondering what NASA was going to announce, very big news indeed......

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, sadly he's probably right... Just look at the mess we've created with antibiotic resistant bacteria... And then with all the antibiotics our food sources are getting pumped of. I'm pro-science/pro-health etc but it's crazy that we might be the cause of some super bug and it wasn't even made in a lab but evolved from our carelessness.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

You guys gettin' trolled. Elon said it's a hologram...so it's all just a figment anyway, doe.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL, I'm not even a horoscope person.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It does not really matter if we can keep the current pace of advancement for 1000 years, you bet we can get to other planets. However, that is a very big if. As we just elected president Trump, I have much less confidence in man kind as a intelligent race :).

MadMax likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For some reason, this news has put me in a very good mood. I am reminded of Sagan's promise: "A more glorious dawn awaits".

London'sBurning and MadMax like this.
  7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Space X says Mars will be habitable by 2036. Likely deep in the caves of Mars no radiation, water and not having to worry about outer space storms, etc. With outposts too create oxygen, water, food, etc

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;)

Houstunna likes this.
  9. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

FIFY. Astrology is a bunch of bullshit.

Houstunna likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did someone say "ultra-cool dwarf star"

[​IMG]

RunninRaven and Houstunna like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Keep in mind - even though it is categorized as 'ultra-cool' by earth bloggers stars that actually know TRAPPIST-1 consider him to be a fraud.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cool factoid:
    ______

All seven of TRAPPIST-1's planets orbit much closer than Mercury orbits the Sun. The distance between the orbits of TRAPPIST-1b and TRAPPIST 1c is only 1.6 times the distance between the Earth and the moon. The planets should appear prominently in each others skies in some cases appearing several orders larger than the moon appears from Earth. [24][25]

Houstunna and BamBam like this.
  13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Cool factoid:
    Love your new avatar @KingCheetah ! ;)

#33 BamBam, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  14. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Do you guys think I can get laid on on one of those planets

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Depends, are you pinning to pitch the pepper or catch the cod...?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

MadMax likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Mathloom, heypartner and KingCheetah like this.
  18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If there is any significant water on any of those planets, I bet that makes for some really interesting tide patterns.

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's true this is a potentially catastrophic epidemic. The real danger for these highly resistant strains are people that are admitted inpatient in hospitals, or people that train in gyms that don't properly sanitize their equipment and are exposed to staph for instance. That said, not all hope is lost.

They're coming up with some pretty ingenious ways of combatting fully resistant strains of bacteria. This video below highlights some of the methods they're trying and the one involving putting fully resistant bacterial strains in soil is the most ingenious method I can think of.

I have the video set to start at 38:25 but if you go back to around the 36:00 mark of the video she'll discuss other methods of combatting strains like MRSA and e. coli. Not all hope is lost.

I love Sagan's optimism over humanity and the idea that the human race will evolve to something greater as long as we continue to survive and push forward using the scientific method. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of researchers in the various fields of Biology, Chemistry, Classical Physics and Theoretical Physics that are paving the way for future generations of humanity ahead. More and more people are becoming secular and finding meaning in their life absent a deity to fight for and die for. We live longer than at any point in human history. We have less slavery right now than at any point in human history. Despite all the news headlines stating the contrary, we are living in the most peaceful time in human history. While I don't want to be blind to the many existing issues humanity faces, I'm actually rather optimistic about our future ahead.

vtjsr2, Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If this system was a place to go, it'd still be a very weird place to live. The planets don't rotate on their axes, so there's no day and night. A year would be 1-20 days long. On the bright side of the planet, it wouldn't get any brighter than dusk. Can't even imagine what the tides would be like, if there was water.