1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Napoleon Dynamite makes movie recommending software hard to be accurate...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/m...r=permalink&exprod=permalink&pagewanted=print
    If You Liked This, You’re Sure to Love That

By CLIVE THOMPSON
    Published: November 21, 2008

THE “NAPOLEON DYNAMITE” problem is driving Len Bertoni crazy. Bertoni is a 51-year-old “semiretired” computer scientist who lives an hour outside Pittsburgh. In the spring of 2007, his sister-in-law e-mailed him an intriguing bit of news: Netflix, the Web-based DVD-rental company, was holding a contest to try to improve Cinematch, its “recommendation engine.” The prize: $1 million.

Cinematch is the bit of software embedded in the Netflix Web site that analyzes each customer’s movie-viewing habits and recommends other movies that the customer might enjoy. (Did you like the legal thriller “The Firm”? Well, maybe you’d like “Michael Clayton.” Or perhaps “A Few Good Men.”) The Netflix Prize goes to anyone who can make Cinematch’s predictions 10 percent more accurate. One million dollars might sound like an awfully big prize for such a small improvement. But in fact, Netflix’s founders tried for years to improve Cinematch, with only incremental results, and they knew that a 10 percent bump would be a challenge for even the most deft programmer. They also knew that, as Reed Hastings, the chief executive of Netflix, told me recently, “getting to 10 percent would certainly be worth well in excess of $1 million” to the company. The competition was announced in October 2006, and no one has won yet, though 30,000 hackers worldwide are hard at work on the problem. Each day, teams submit their updated solutions to the Netflix Prize Web page, and Netflix instantly calculates how much better than Cinematch they are. (There’s even a live “leader board” ranking the top contestants.)

In March 2007, Bertoni decided he wanted to give it a crack. So he downloaded a huge set of data that Netflix put online: an enormous list showing how 480,189 of the company’s customers rated 17,770 Netflix movies. When Netflix customers log into their accounts, they can rate any movie from one to five stars, to help “teach” the Netflix system what their preferences are; the average customer has rated around 200 movies, so Netflix has a lot of information about what its customers like and don’t like. (The data set doesn’t include any personal information — names, ages, location and gender have been stripped out.) So Bertoni began looking for patterns that would predict customer behavior — specifically, an algorithm that would guess correctly the number of stars a given user would apply to a given movie. A year and a half later, Bertoni is still going, often spending 20 hours a week working on it in his home office. His two children — 12 and 13 years old — sometimes sit and brainstorm with him. “They’re very good with mathematics and algebra,” he told me, chuckling. “And they think of interesting questions about your movie-watching behavior.” For example, one day the kids wondered about sequels: would a Netflix user who liked the first two “Matrix” movies be just as likely to enjoy the third one, even though it was widely considered to be pretty dreadful?

Each time he or his kids think of a new approach, Bertoni writes a computer program to test it. Each new algorithm takes on average three or four hours to churn through the data on the family’s “quad core” Gateway computer. Bertoni’s results have gradually improved. When I last spoke to him, he was at No. 8 on the leader board; his program was 8.8 percent better than Cinematch. The top team was at 9.44 percent. Bertoni said he thought he was within striking distance of victory.

But his progress had slowed to a crawl. The more Bertoni improved upon Netflix, the harder it became to move his number forward. This wasn’t just his problem, though; the other competitors say that their progress is stalling, too, as they edge toward 10 percent. Why?

Bertoni says it’s partly because of “Napoleon Dynamite,” an indie comedy from 2004 that achieved cult status and went on to become extremely popular on Netflix. It is, Bertoni and others have discovered, maddeningly hard to determine how much people will like it. When Bertoni runs his algorithms on regular hits like “Lethal Weapon” or “Miss Congeniality” and tries to predict how any given Netflix user will rate them, he’s usually within eight-tenths of a star. But with films like “Napoleon Dynamite,” he’s off by an average of 1.2 stars.

The reason, Bertoni says, is that “Napoleon Dynamite” is very weird and very polarizing. It contains a lot of arch, ironic humor, including a famously kooky dance performed by the titular teenage character to help his hapless friend win a student-council election. It’s the type of quirky entertainment that tends to be either loved or despised. The movie has been rated more than two million times in the Netflix database, and the ratings are disproportionately one or five stars.

Worse, close friends who normally share similar film aesthetics often heatedly disagree about whether “Napoleon Dynamite” is a masterpiece or an annoying bit of hipster self-indulgence. When Bertoni saw the movie himself with a group of friends, they argued for hours over it. “Half of them loved it, and half of them hated it,” he told me. “And they couldn’t really say why. It’s just a difficult movie.”

Mathematically speaking, “Napoleon Dynamite” is a very significant problem for the Netflix Prize. Amazingly, Bertoni has deduced that this single movie is causing 15 percent of his remaining error rate; or to put it another way, if Bertoni could anticipate whether you’d like “Napoleon Dynamite” as accurately as he can for other movies, this feat alone would bring him 15 percent of the way to winning the $1 million prize. And while “Napoleon Dynamite” is the worst culprit, it isn’t the only troublemaker. A small subset of other titles have caused almost as much bedevilment among the Netflix Prize competitors. When Bertoni showed me a list of his 25 most-difficult-to-predict movies, I noticed they were all similar in some way to “Napoleon Dynamite” — culturally or politically polarizing and hard to classify, including “I Heart Huckabees,” “Lost in Translation,” “Fahrenheit 9/11,” “The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou,” “Kill Bill: Volume 1” and “Sideways.”

So this is the question that gently haunts the Netflix competition, as well as the recommendation engines used by other online stores like Amazon and iTunes. Just how predictable is human taste, anyway? And if we can’t understand our own preferences, can computers really be any better at it?

Rest of Article

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

When Napolean Dynamite came out, I saw it at the theatres three times. I think its one of the greatest comedies of all time.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I laughed my ass off the first time I saw it in the theater with a group of college friends. Now, I can't stand it.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I watched Napoleon Dynamite like 6 times.

It was funny until everyone started quoting it all the time.

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

No way! Quoting movies is the bomb!

YEAH, BABY! SHAGADELIC!!!!

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's definitely annoying, but doesn't make the move un-funny, in my book.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Never seen it.

8. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Exactly. It just makes the people saying it un-funny.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I doesn't make the movie unfunny, It makes the movie start to get annoying because everyone else quoting it is annoying.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Movie was annoying then, and it's annoying now.

Couldn't stand the movie when I first saw it in the theaters, and that was before the phenomena was unleashed.

I can't believe I spent my hard earned money on that over Shaun of the Dead. Live and learn, folks... live and learn.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Our feelings are quite similar.

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I still think it's funny, but I've also deliberately avoided the chance to re-watch it several times. Some things you have to let stew for a while before you can revisit them.

:D

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I watched it once and didn't like it. After some people tried to explain what made it funny I watched it again and just thought it was "meh". I don't hate it but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.