1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NAACP Leader uses F-word to apologize for using T-Word after meeting on N-Word

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Jan 28, 2016.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

this was just too funny to buy it in the Race (How clever) thread. I figured it deserves its own thread because of the hilarity involved. I almost put it in the Hangout..but because it does deal with the Arizona issue and race..I figured someone would try to make a big deal out of it.

To me..its just so funny it had to have been said on purpose.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-harris-naacp-sexist-comment_us_56a997f0e4b05e4e3703517c?

A local NAACP leader in Phoenix is coming under fire for the sexist behavior he displayed right after leaving a meeting on racial sensitivity.

Then, shortly after that, he used profanities while apologizing for his actions.

NOTE: The following text contains strong language.

Don Harris, president of the Maricopa County chapter of the NAACP, attended a meeting at the Tempe Union High School District offices last week to discuss a group of students who had formed a racist slur with letters on their T-shirts.

On his way out, reporters asked the 77-year-old attorney and civil rights leader about the meeting, which focused on ways to eradicate the use of the racial epithet.

"Nice t1ts," he said to a reporter from Phoenix New Times, referring to KPNX reporter Monique Griego, who was standing nearby.

The newspaper, which posted audio of the comment online, called him afterward to ask about it.

"I apologize if anyone was offended," Harris told New Times. "I could have said nothing... I'm really f@cking sorry."

But Harris, who also called himself "one of the best goddamned people in the state," was just getting warmed up.

When asked if he would fight against sexist comments in addition to racist ones, Harris told New Times, "I'm going to slash my wrists. Better yet, I'm going to throw myself out of a f@cking window, except I'm on the first floor."

The paper said Harris is known for "brash, politically incorrect comments."

Harris offered another apology to ABC 15, adding that he didn't think Griego could hear him when he shared the observation with a male reporter.

"It was a guy talking to another guy," Harris said. "That still doesn’t make it acceptable."

He told the Arizona Republic that he has offered his resignation to the chapter's executive board if they want it.

"I said if they want me gone, I'm gone," Harris told the newspaper. "I'm not ducking from anything. I did something stupid and wrong and I'm sorry for it. I can't beat myself forever about it. I said it. And I can't be any more sincere."

KPNX said Griego would not be commenting on the story.

Harris, who is white, came into his position at the NAACP almost by accident. When Rev. Oscar Tillman retired as head of the chapter in 2014, no one stepped up to run for president.

Harris, a longtime member of the executive board, told the Arizona Republic last year that he nominated himself in hopes it would get others to run for the position. That didn't work, and he was elected president of the chapter.

Speaking to the New Times on Wednesday, Harris passionately defended his track record.

"I've given up my law practice. I'm down here six, seven days a week. That's what my commitment is," he said. "I support NOW, the women's organization -- godd@mn! -- are you sh1tting me? Are you going to write this up?"

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

doh! first line should read "too funny to BURY it in the Race (how clever) thread.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Old people do stupid stuff just like young people do stupid stuff.

4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

And it's a lot more astonishing when old people do it.

Actually, I shouldn't say that. This is a 77 year old man, so honestly he could have some form of dementia. In either case, he should probably be relieved of his post and then star in a reality TV show.

#5 DCkid, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think he's not demented yet but just at that ripe old YOLO age that men reach where they truly don't give a crap anymore. It has a beauty to it.

Kudos to OP for excellent thread title. Seriously.

Who says "nice t***" to strangers anymore? This guy, I guess. The 1970's called, and Mardi Gras called, and they both want their behavior back.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A tradition we need to bring back.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think it's disgusting. I only say it to coworkers and family members, I would never say it to a complete stranger. Talk about creepy.

1 person likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good point. I do sometimes say it to male strangers though; should probably check myself.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is this an Onion article?

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That explains why he didn't use "breastisses," like a David Alan Grier character.