1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

N. Batum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by chow_yun_fat, Jan 8, 2015.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Why did we trade him when we drafted him in 2008? I remember the majority of us here liking the pick.

From what I saw in wiki, we traded him for Greene and Dorsey?

I think we traded Greene for someone to Sacramento later, anyone remember who?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We picked him FOR them not for us. NBA trades, for some reason, are not announced until after the selection is made by the team on the clock. Anyone know why? I much prefer the NFL method.

4. baubo

baubo Member

I think we basically traded the 24th pick for 28th pick and 31st pick. That's a good value trade. That the players didn't turn out as expected is some combination of bad scouting and bad luck. But that's why it's better to take multiple shots like the Rockets did. You hit some, you miss some.

5. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I think Vivi was included in that deal :p

6. FeaR

FeaR Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/ca_rockets">@ca_rockets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug">@BimaThug</a> not really a detail, one of the most mis-reported things. Like, for example, that we drafted Batum. Not how it works</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/552174391464042497">January 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

stepien rule, the logistics just make it simpler to trade after the player is selected

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This again. Do we also need to recap why Morey traded the rights to Rudy Gay for Shane Battier?

The Matt Maloney contract?

The Ralph Sampson trade?

Not taking Jordan over Hakeem?

9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Not trading Sampson for Clyde and the #2 pick (Jordan)

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

da gawd

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Spurs wanted him. Blazers did too. Rockets drafted him for the Blazers to keep Batum away from the Spurs.

Spurs had a medical report that showed something negative (about his heart?) but neither they nor Batum would release the info to other teams.

Blazers called the bluff and got their man.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I was thinking about this the other day, I think if Houston got the number 2 pick they probably wouldn't have drafted Jordan since they had Clyde. Back then though... Giving up tall players wasn't like it is now. When Houston had Hakeem and Sampson everyone thought the Twin towers would succeed, but damn injuries.

I am honestly okay with how it turned out, I mean at least the Rockets didn't pass on Jordan and Durant in favor of busts... I'm sure that still haunts the Blazers...

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

To be fair, the twin towers with Sampson and Olajuwon looked to be very promising. They made it to a Finals series and lost against arguably one of the best teams of all time- the 86 Boston Celtics. And, unfortunately, injuries derailed Sampson's career and we could never see the twin towers realize their potential.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm not sure if there really was an option to trade Ralph Sampson for Clyde+#2 pick (Jordan). But man...could you imagine how many championships a core of Jordan, Clyde and Hakeem would have been able to win?

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Thanks for the clarification. My memory is terrible and didn't remember we traded the picks for more picks. Too bad I couldn't find any data on this. When I searched google, it just shows us as drafting Batum and trading him.

In hindsight, it looked like a good deal, 2 late first rounders for one. I guess you could say it was somewhat successful. We were able to pawn off Greene for Artest.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, definitely agree, not sure if there was even possibility of a deal like that happening. And you're right Sampson and Hakeem would have definitely been good, I kinda mentioned that, just injuries of Sampson really hurt how long he could play.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Batum trade was similar to the Gay trade in that the Rockets never intended to take the drafted player. They were trades of picks.

It was said that the Rockets were going to select Thabo Sefolosha if the Battier deal did not work out. I don't know what we would have picked if the one pick for two picks trade with Portland fell through.

Both trades are somewhat difficult to assess. Did we make a mistake of not picking Gay? Battier was a very good role player who could have been very instrumental had Yao and McGrady stayed healthy. What if we ended up picking Sefolosha? He was kind of like a younger less developed Battier. Gay turned out to be an inefficient volume shooter who did not make his team better.

And what would have been if we took Batum rather than Greene and Dorsey? Dorsey was worthless. Greene got us Artest. Against, Artest could have been great if the two stars were healthy. We ended up letting him walk after one year and then signing Ariza, which was a disaster. Batum turned out to be a very good role player who is at least as good as Artest and Ariza.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

When do people talk about not talking Jordan over Hakeem? Hakeem was a center in a center dominated league. It was the right move