1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myers Trade Speculation Already?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrisjent, Apr 15, 2012.

1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Myers to SF was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard that Brian Wilson is going to have Tommy John surgery. I wonder what he could fetch from the Giants?

Very scary to think our "closer" would be Brandon Lyon or Wilton Lopez though...

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Dam man that would suck big time.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Why??? As Jeff Luhnow ever-so-wisely determined with the Melancon trade, a (currently) crappy team has little use for a closer relative to the need for building up its minor league ranks.

5. desihooper

Supporting Member

I don't think I can handle a season of Lyon as closer; I'd much rather have a young guy closing if we lose Myers than Lyon.

If nothing else, it'd be good to develop a young guy that will either be ready when this team turns the corner or can net us some prospects in a deadline deal with a contender.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

huh?? he traded melancon for our Major League starting shortstop and #5 starting pitcher.

more accurately, luhnow understood that it doesn't matter who the "closer" on a crappy team is.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'm giving the new regime benefit of the doubt and assume that it actually requires performing to get promotions.

there are very few things that can aggravate me this season. brandon lyon being the cause of losses ranks right atop that list.

8. desihooper

Supporting Member

This! I understand the baseball reasons to make Myers a closer this year. I can't understand this team running Lyon out there as a closer for any reason.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rhiner Cruz would be a darkhorse candidate to be the closer if something happens to Myers. Dude has got hit and miss stuff which is what you need in that position (along with not being wild/walking people).

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking. From what I've seen, he's got the stuff. I think he's the ideal candidate should Myers get moved.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think having Lyon as the closer COULD be the smart move, though. Much like Luhnow's trying to maximize Myers's trade value by converting him to a closer (i.e., someone capable of "putting up the stats"--in this case, SAVES, to make him desirable to other teams), the hope (or MY hope, at least) would be that Lyon could accomplish SOMETHING as a closer this year and perhaps be tradable, even if for a middling prospect.

Also, I think the Astros traded for Kevin Chapman for the purpose of being a young potential closer.

True, but Weiland is a younger pitcher who could have just as easily been in AAA this year for a bit more seasoning. And it's not like Lowrie's ancient or anything.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd say Giants, Reds, Rangers (if Nathan bombs) could all be options.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

totally agree that Lyon should be the closer if Myers is moved so that Lyon has an opportunity to put up BS stats that may fetch us another prospect. We're not gonna win now...use every chance possible to move veterans that don't fit long term. Moving Myers, Lee, and Wandy would be awesome... finding a way to move Lyon for a prospect too would make Luhnow a 1st year GM of the year (in my books--obviously not gonna actually win it)

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

think you and i may have had this discussion a few months ago. for your scenario to be fulfilled, all of these events must occur:

1) Lyon has to be lights out as a closer
    2) A contending team has to be in desperate need of a closer at trade deadline time
    3) Said contending team's GM has to be stupid enough to be tricked into a historically (and certainly recently) awful reliever's recent small sample size of success, and be willing to make Brandon Lyon the closer on a contending team and (likely) take on his salary

If all those events occur, we would then be the lucky winners of a likely insignificant return.

Count me in the group that considers it impossible for those events to occur in the first place, and, even though my expectations for this team are low, I enjoy watching them, and "them" does not include "him". Any value that you think can possibly be gained from him as a closer can almost equally be gained if he pitches lights out middle relief.

Getting youngsters experience in that role (or his current role) is far more valuable this season than attempting to force an awful, old reliever into the closer's role in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle and get a mid to lower level prospect in return from a hypothetical brain-dead GM.

15. Major

Major Member

Lyon doesn't need to be the closer. What the team needs is to try their various young arms at closer - we've seen so many cases of a player being great in the 8th and struggling as a closer. They need to go ahead and figure out who can handle the 9th so that when/if they are actually good, they'll know instead of blowing a bunch of saves at that point.

Make Lyon the 8th inning set up guy if you really need to create trade value - he's a perfect example of a guy who's struggled every time anyone puts him in the closer role anyway.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree with cardpire. I don't think Lyon's value (if he has any left) is in closing. It's going to be in middle-relief. He's not going to bring back a premium prospect in any case. There's no point in making him a closer when you've got a couple of kids that could likely do a much better job and not give those of us who still care if they win on a daily basis cancer.

17. desihooper

Supporting Member

Not meaning to pile on, kaleidosky, but running Lyon out there in the 9th inning is akin to running Pedro Feliz out at 3rd base everyday a couple of years ago. There's no value to be gained in him getting ABs over Chris Johnson. The Astros, and every other MLB club, know what he can and can't do. If you're going to rebuild, you have to throw the young guys in at some point to see if they sink or swim.

If you trade Myers - which I think is absolutely the right thing to do - then you have to see if someone under the age of 25 has the mettle to be your closer for the next couple of years. I'd much rather the next Billy Wagner or Brad Lidge get the 9th inning call this year than Lyon who I know wont' be here next year or when the Astros get good again.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ok, i've seen the light--i'm with you guys. Didn't think it through enough earlier I guess. I liked the perfect scenario, but yeah, it's too unlikely and you're right--there is a lot to be gained by getting some youngsters time in the 9th. (I just know that a lot of teams overpay for terrible RP's late in the year, and I wanted us to benefit)

And yes, I am enjoying watching this team and would much rather see those young guys playing than Lyon when it matters also.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I thought about it when the news broke about Wilson, but the reality is, the Giants may not need a closer.

Sergio Romo may be the best reliever in baseball that nobody really talks about. In 180 innings, his career WHIP is 0.89 (Last year it was 0.71).

If I'm Luhnow I'm shopping Wilton Lopez in addition to Myers and Lyon (lulz). Lopez is a solid pitcher, but soon to be 29 and entering his arbitration years. Obviously you need a good return for somebody who you control for 3 more years, but I'm ready for the complete youth movement, and there are a number of younger arms that can take his spot on the roster.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I disagree with this part. Lyon has actually been solid as a fill in closer, discounting last year in which he was not healthy. You are right that Lyon's value to other teams is nearly identical in the 8th inning, since teams will look at Lyon as a potential 7th or 8th inning guy, not their closer.