1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My wife wrote this about Ron Artest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carmichael dave, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmichael dave

Well, just to give you all another little insight into our little Rocket, and how he takes losses.

After the last loss to Portland, not only did Ron disconnect his phone, he disconnected his email. Mr. Artest does not like to lose.

So if/when I get a hold of him, you better believe I'm going to remind him of the mohawk promise, and I will happily offer to shave it myself.

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

There is no denying his passion for the game. When the game ended and he did his interview he sprinted back into the locker room, it was great to see that kind of joy. Seems like a very emotional guy.....

BTW thaks for sharing, great read.

3. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Thanks for sharing. that's so sweet. :)

4. fatty carl

fatty carl New Member

our
    Ron
    Artest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I have been surprised, pleasantly so, when I've been to Rockets games this year the number of Asians wearing Artest gear, and African - Americans with Yao gear.

I have told Liberal friends from both coasts, where I have lived much of my life, many times that Houston is the most humanly acclimatized place I have ever lived (15 years).

C'mon, Ron, earn that next contract. C'mon Yao, earn your next max deal. C'mon, every Rock, creat your legends and leave your legacy. The Lakes are next!

Go Mrs Carmichael Dave!

6. dijk

dijk Member

Nice ;)

7. djimi

djimi Member

Thank you, Donte!!

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Sorry, but I disagree with the underlying premise here.

The whole "Sacramentans practically paid his ticket out of town" thing. That makes it sound like Sacramentans just didn't like him or somehow are worse fans than Houston fans. That's not true. They liked him and knew he was a good player. ARTEST was the one who didn't want to be there. ARTEST was the one who wanted to get out of town. And that's fair enough, because they're an awful team, and by the time Sacramento is any good again, Artest will be over the hill. Artest parting with the Kings made sense for everyone involved.

Then he comes here, and he's on his very best behavior because he's in a contract year. No real incidents all year. And then Houston fans are given credit for "accepting" him. That's not remotely fair to, say, Indiana fans. Indiana fans loved Artest... many still do. And they loved him a lot more BEFORE he became a liability for them with his behavior. Houston hasn't had to deal with any of that yet, so it's not fair to give them credit for it as if they had.

It's not the fault of Indiana or Sacramento fans that there was backlash against him. That's on Artest. He went nuts in Indiana and wanted time off to work on his album (quitting on team much?), and Sacramento got rather annoyed that he basically quit on them, too, because he didn't feel like playing for a team with no title aspirations. Fans shouldn't be forgiving of that stuff.

When Artest goes nuts and requests to take half the season off from the Rockets to go on a safari, and Houston fans still love him, THEN I won't have a problem with the "he's finally found a place that accepts him" angle.

#48 Drexlerfan22, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was really well written. I got a little misty eyed.

10. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Thanks Dave for sharing this with us. Well written.

Ron is Ron. Good and bad.

But................. he did step up big for us when it mattered. We haven't been here in 12 years.

As a true Rockets fan.. I trust you Ron.

11. lz56

lz56 Member

we are lucky, ron has past his puberty. he is a keeper

12. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

You have to admire Ronron. Win or lose, he gives it every ounce of energy he has. You will never accuse him of apathy (unlike others on our team). I for one am glad he plays for us.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks for sharing, but we will trade him back in a sign and trade for Martin...

:D

DD

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Dave that makes me wanna hug your wife (and that's not a bad thing cause I am a girl)... and Ron.

Thanks for sharing this with us! Can't wait to listen to you with Ron your show in the middle of the night when we beat the Lakers ;) (Hope springs eternal)

15. TheBigAristotle

Tru Warier 4 life

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dave, I have to say I was very skeptical of the whole concept of "you" after the Ron trade. I thought, great, another talking head who thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and he and Artest are blood brothers or something....

But, of course, I listened to all the interviews and podcasts and couldn't help but like what you're doing - your shows - with Ron at least, I don't listen to anything else - are highly entertaining, you actually come off personally as the complete opposite of pompous, rather humble and down to earth. And you're wife clearly has the ability to do what many fine journalists can't - get across a point and message in a understandable, succinct way.

Unless Ron-Ron goes nuts and asks for more money than he rightfully deserves, there is a 90%+ chance we'll see him in Houston for his next contract...and if that means you'll follow, you will be a welcome addition to the Houston sports talk radio airwaves.

17. joesr

joesr Member

we wouldnt have him on our team then....
    we wouldnt be able to afford him, cmon now.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ron is a good guy. He always keeps it real.

19. fallingwaters

fallingwaters Member

Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece from your wife.

20. romain

romain Member

great article. thank you for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.