1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My top 8 players in the draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by crash5179, Jun 14, 2006.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Since we draft 8th I thought I would compile my list of the top 8 players on my draft board and why. One of these players will be available when we draft. I have listed them in no particular order although Morrison would probably be the guy I would pick first if I could and Gay would be last on this list for me. Although my mind changes almost daily with who I would pick first.

Having said that I think Brewer is going to be the shocker in this draft just based on where he is projected and how well I think he will play in the NBA because I think he will be a stud at both ends of the court.

I could find something to get excited about any of these players with the 8th pick.

Brandon Roy - 6’6” s/g he is the complete package. He has a nice outside game, he can create his own shots, he knows how to drive to the basket with ease and he also has the midrange game that we used to always here Calvin Murphy talk about being so important. He is just as good on defense and can play 3 positions. The things that I really like about him are his basketball IQ, passing ability and court vision.

Ronnie Brewer - 6’7” pg/sg/sf almost all of the things that is said about Roy applies to Brewer. Roy is reportedly a better shooter and Brewer a better defender but Brewer has true point guard skills. Reportedly great at feeding the post and since we have Yao Ming in the post this is very valuable in my eyes. His motor is non stop and he has a very high basketball IQ. His shot has been criticized for his terrible form but the ball seems to find its way in the basket more often than not. Brewer would give the Rockets someone (other than T-Mac) to play the other teams best perimeter player effectively.

Adam Morrison - 6’8” sf/sg maybe the highest basketball IQ since Larry Bird. After years of Steve Francis a high basketball IQ is important to me. I also like a guy who’s motor is always running and does not coast half of the game. I also think Morrison could excel in the NBA at power forward. Obviously he would have trouble guarding Tim Duncan in the post but most of the NBA power forwards are looking more and more like Shawn Marion or Udonis Haslem and less and less like Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Karl Malone or Tim Duncan..

Andrea Bargnani - 7’ pf/c He is a seven footer that can shoot and spread the defenses. He is also young and aggressive with lots of face up moves to the basket. He sounds a lot like what Van Grumpy said he wants from a 4...young, athletic and has a very deadly shot all the way out to the arc. He also runs the floor well.

LaMarcus Aldridge - 6’11” pf has the complete package of skills. Great moves in the paint and he can play with his back to the basket or facing the basket. He reminds me a bit Juwan Howard on offense with a nice outside shot out to almost 20 feet. He can rebound, block shots, run the floor and play defense. The only thing that worries me about LaMarcus is that he is not always aggressive and his lack of aggressiveness showed against Sheldon Williams and Tyrus Thomas. At other times he can flat out dominate like he did against West Virginia in the sweet 16.

Sheldon Williams - 6’9” pf I don’t know why people are so hard on Sheldon Williams. The guy is going to average 10+ points, 10+ rebounds and 2+ blocks for most of his career. He is going to give 100% for every play that he is on the floor. He is going to shoot a very high percentage and look something like Elton Brand with the way he plays. That may not get you into the hall of fame but how could any ask for more from and 8th pick. The guy is solid.

Tyrus Thomas - 6’9” pf he reminded me of Dennis Rodman. He seems to play on springs and can get up and down the court super quick. The only two times I saw him play which was against Texas and Duke he seemed to make all of his points off of sheer athleticism. I have heard people express fears that he will be another Stromile Swift but surely he is much smarter than Stromile and when I saw him play his motor never stopped, unlike Stromile.

Rudy Gay - 6’9” sg/sf/pf he has Steve Francis type of freakish athleticism in a 6’9” frame. He has all the tools to be truly dominant but does he have the aggressiveness. I would certainly be happy to give him a chance since that kind of physical talent does not come along in every draft. He is certainly a player that could play 3 positions in the NBA and create tons of match up problems.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Crash, you probably wrote this before the official heights were revealed. I agree with your list with two exceptions:

1) I would substitute Marcus Williams for Shelden Williams. I think Marcus would fit with the Rockets very nicely, but Shelden would shine only if he could force Yao Ming out of the paint.

2) I would substitute Cedric Simmons for Tyrus Thomas. Simmons is taller and stronger than Thomas and IMO has more upside. Additionally, he can play center as he fills out. Thomas at 6-7 can never slide over, even with more weight. Both have motors and basketball IQ -- which Stromile Swift does not.

3. crash5179

I really like the fact that Marcus Williams has proven he can pass the rock and I almost put him in my top 8. If we drafted Marcus I think I would explore the possiblity of trading V-Span's draft rights for something usefull.

Your assesment about Sheldon is very similar to mine which is that he does not stretch the defense at all. Having said that, he would still bring a lot to the table. A guy that brings as much shot blocking, rebounding and defense as he does would still get me pretty excited although he certainly is not my top choice.

I just don't know about Cedric Simmons. If the Rockets draft him I really hope they trade down to get him. He does seem to have a lot of upside but I'm not sure he has the motor that Thomas has.

Out of the Power Forwards on my list plus Simmons, the 3 I least want is Thomas, Simmons and Williams because none of them spread the floor. Bargnani and Aldridge are the 2 power forwards I would want the most because of their shooting touch from outside.

4. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

WATCH OUT FOR the spaniard SERGIO RODRIGUEZ hes been playing proball for 3 years already and avg 20 pts and 10 asts in this years playoffs in the spanish LEAGUE, same league that Pau Gasol played in and avgd around 14pts and 10 rbs

Just a Note

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

Simmons is just an inch taller and 6 pounds heavier than Thomas. The way you're talking about him you would think he had Aldridge's size.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

In the NBA that's developing, a 6-7 guy who can leap and be quick (and esp. if he adds some weight) can easily slide over to the 5 for spells of a game. If Dirk, Tim Thomas, Diaw, Haslem, Van Horn, etc. all played the 5 for short spurts...Tyrus easily could.

7. thumbs

I like Simmons as our #8 because that allows us to trade Swift to New Jersey for a draft pick and a player. At #23 we could pick up one of several shooting guards, but the acquired Net I would like is Antoine Wright. Wright, of course, is a SG/SF.

Now back to the pick at #23. We could use it to pick up Rudy Fernandez, a SG/PG. Even though he is listed as a SG, Fernandez would immediately become the best PG on the Rockets.

I think this would give us depth at PG, SG, SF, PF and eventually C as Simmons assumes Deke's backup role. Also, we would essentially upgrade the PF position without losing any "athleticism" in the process.

8. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I agree. If Sergio could consistently shoot from the outside and keep his game under control, he would be the highest ranked PG in this draft.

9. thumbs

Simmons' reach is 9 feet flat-footed -- with a 7'4" wingspan. Thomas is nowhere near that.

kaleidosky -- Dirk is a true 7'; Thomas and Van Horn are true 6'10" guys. Diaw and Haslem are closer to Thomas' height. However, Haslem is a solid player but not a difference maker, and certainly not as a backup C. Diaw is a run-jump guy but so are a number of others who technically could play center (at 5-8 so could I -- I just wouldn't be very effective at it).

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

just a note about tyrus thomas' game against duke & ut. yes, he dominated the paint in those (and many other tourny games), but his natural position - by his own admission - is the small forward spot. at 6' 8.5", that's a scary skill set.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I doubt he will fall to 8, but if he did Tyrus Thomas would be the steal of the draft. If only we would happen to be so fortunate.

I also really like Brewer. I think he is even still, as it stands right now, a bit underrated.

On the other hand, I think Roy is a bit overrated. Nice player though.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thomas says he's a SF just to say he has versatility, but he is a PF all the way IMO. He never handled the ball for LSU and really never shot that many jumpshots.

While he could maybe one day be a Shawn Marion type player (BEST case scenario) I don't think he has anywhere near the handles Marion had coming out of college. And while Marion worked to become a better 3-pt shooter, I would bet that Marion was a much better shooter coming out of college as well.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Our needs are: outside shooter, PG & Pf. I don't see us getting a PF in the draft, until we have the other 2. I would substitute Marcus for Shelden Williams also.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

crash any thought on redick? out of the most likely to be there at eight guys i think jj is my first choice slightly above brewer.

those two flip-flop on me pretty much daily but ever since redick measured out over 6'5" in shoes it sold me on his ability to play two. his shot is one of the prettiest things i've seen and i think he'd be dangerous as a third scorer.

15. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I've tried to stave off the mock drafts and rumor mill (just really burnt out on all of the draft talk, especially after the NFL Draft) I just wanted to throw my two cents into the forum. The player that I like and think the Rockets should really go after is Brandon Roy. Thr guy is the most completer player and isn't too one-dimensional. Although he doesn't excel at one particular area, he can do a bit of everything, which is what the Rockets are lacking IMO.

I think Canrey and Brewer have great athleticism and have (heres that dreaded word) potential, but I'd rather go with a guy who comes in a little more polished and can help immediately. With health an uncertainty with this team, IMHO the Rockets need to get players that can contribute immediately and help Yao and T-Mac get to the playoffs and beyond.

I'm sure Roy will go before the 8 spot, but I think he is the player that the Rockets should target and look to acquire. Now how they trade up to get him is beyond me. I won't embarass myself with delusional one-sided trade scenarios, but I'd be willing to part with cash, the second rounder this year and next and any player on the roster not named McGrady or Yao.

Here's hoping the Rockets get a player or players that can contribute and get us back to a championship-caliber team.

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm just asking...did you know that Brandon Roy has already undergone a knee surgery in college?

17. crash5179

Both JJ Redick and Marcus Williams were two guys that I considered in the top 8. I know this will probably shock some people but the 1st guy I would take off would be Gay. Most people have him as a top 6 player but along with all of his athleticism is just to many questions.

JJ Redick does not bring a lot of different things to the table but what he does bring is pretty damn good. If his outside shot is automatic in the NBA he would sure do a lot in the way of stretching defenses for Yao. Like others I do think he is a one deminsional player though.

Tyrus Thomas is the only other person I would consider taking off of my top 8 for JJ Redick or Marcus Williams. Not because he is not a better basketball player but I'm not sure he is as good of a fit for the Rockets as JJ or Marcus.

18. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

how can everyone keep bashing tyrus? he in a MONSTER!!!! lets see what he has that the entire rockets roster lacks: An incredible rebounder, a ferocious dunker, and how about an extremely explosive player. how about dropping aldridge? he is going to be about as worthless as they come, im sorry to say, but all i can do is just look at him and think to myself, "man this guy is the next chucky brown"

19. crash5179

I'm not a huge fan of Carney for the same reason I have reservations about Gay. Too much is based on the "P" word and not enough is based on the actuall body of work. IMO.

I like Brewer a lot. And I think he is actually fairly polished and could contribute right away. The only real question regarding Brewer is his outside shot but nothing else comes into question. He actually does most of the things that Roy does and a little better. Better defender, better ball handler, better passer and a non stop motor.

Where Roy excels is in his ability to create his own shot and he has much better mechanics on the outside shot. I think Roy is going to be a great NBA player and would fit the Rockets needs very well. I would probably take Roy over Brewer because of his ability to score and while I think Brewer is better in some areas I think Roy is still good in those areas as well.

What I really like is that both players have such a high basketball IQ.

20. crash5179

Tyrus is going to be good I think but I don't think he would be the best fit on the Rockets. Aldridge IMO will be very good next to a guy like Yao because he is capable of playing inside or outside and he has a damn good outside shot. Tyrus is more athletic and has a higher motor but does nothing to stretch defenses.