1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Macbook was stolen. I'm now going to need a new laptop. What should I get?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

So my Macbook was stolen. I never bothered setting up an iCloud so I can't use Find my Mac. Yeah, stupid. Whatever. I'm now in the market for a new laptop. I'm a full-time student so I'm in the market for one as of tonight.

What do you guys recommend? I had the Macbook Air and I loved it, but I mainly use my computer for internet and nothing more, so I don't think I need to get that again.

Preferably, I'm looking for something powerful with good specs and battery life. What do you guys have?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Chomebook or a Surface.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Macbook Pro...preferably not a stolen one.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do coke, a cross country bike ride and buy a Tesla. Then consider buying a MacBook.

CCity Zero and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

get a hitman and happy hunting.

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

You're lucky 1,800 miles separates us at the moment kid.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

stop being a cuck. go find that scumbag and kill him

After that, I would highly recommend you to get a gaming laptop, possibly an Acer helios predator

Duncan McDonuts and Haymitch like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

All talk and no coke

9. jacoby

jacoby Member

I don't really game though I have a PS4.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

You can’t go wrong with a MacBook Pro. They last me for years and after about five I sell them for a third of the price of what I paid. It’s crazy how they hold value. I’ve never had any issues with any of the macs I’ve owned. In my experience they’re worth the price.

11. Buck Turgidson

Buy a Samsung

They're all good fun until the hammer goes down....

12. NateNate

NateNate Member

Sounds like he doesn’t need all that power or function as he needs it mostly for internet. Sounds like you can’t wait but the new Macbok air is supposed to debut in October or November.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

why would anyone buy a mac? theyre just ipads with keyboards attached. bullshit specs. let me know when they carry gtx 1090 ti graphics card

Chamillionaire likes this.
  14. likestohypeguy

Hard to recommend anything more than a chromebook for the above.

Btw which internet tasks, require the powerful specs? Games? They do make powerful CB's, but cost almost as much. Some pretty good ones for a couple hundred too. I've used this one and am impressed with it for $229- https://www.staples.com/Acer-CB3-43...-4GB-LPDDR3-Intel-HD-Graphics/product_2432768

I don't do much with mine, but I can't imagine a man could even open enough shady tabs at once, to give even a celeron/2GB problems... for me CB's have been more stable, faster updates & power on/shutdown, longer battery life, and better keyboards & displays for the money vs. pc's and macs, if it's just for the internet.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Chromebook. You can find 1080p IPS models that you would never regularly find in that price range if it were a Windows laptop.

16. tmoney1101

Not everyone uses their laptop to game. I listed the reasons I like them above. 16 gigs of ram / i7 is more than enough power for me. The resale value alone makes them worth it. It runs civ 5 and 6 just fine and that’s the only game I play on a computer.

17. tmoney1101

I get that but I was buying a new laptop every year before I bought my first Mac. The shelf life and the resale value is what keeps me coming back. I figure if you spend the money up front you don’t have to worry about for around 5 years. Maybe things have changed I’ve been on Mac for many years now. My friend bought a chrome book when they first came out and that thing was a piece of ****.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, I've pointed people with your needs to Chromebooks and none regret the choice. Cheap, fast, easy. Disposable like a toaster.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yeah, I would say Surface of MBA again. Chromebooks are ugh to me. If it fits your needs whatever, but I haven't been disappointed with my choices in the Surface family since they ditched RT. The MBAs/MBPs do look like fun, and OSX/Win10 look and feel almost identical to each other, so who knows, maybe my next laptop will be a MBP.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Look into the Surface GO. It's a nice little device. Can do what you need too.