1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

My free agent wish list.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by shaggylambda, Jan 24, 2018.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While we are at it, lets trade Fuller to Pittsburgh for Martavis Bryant and a draft pick...Then we got Watson throwing to 3 Clemson receivers. Draft Hunter Renfrow to be our Wes Welker and we are set.

Fullcourt likes this.
  2. raining threes

3. HstnSprtsFan101

lmao :D really not a bad idea

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Would you do Fuller for Martavis Bryant and a 2nd round pick? Is that too much or too little for Fuller? He was a first round pick and looks electric with Watson, but Bryant wants to leave the Steelers and is kind of that top end speed guy as well.

5. HstnSprtsFan101

That's a tough one. Martavis is only signed for one more year so it'd most likely be for one year of him and a 2nd. If we were talking about going all in on 2018 it'd make sense. We could find an immediate starter on the OL with that 2nd round pick and come real close to matching Fuller's production with Martavis.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. raining threes

Too much

Fuller cant stay healthy.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

8. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

What chaps my hide is that we have the biggest medical center in the world. We were able to diagnose and treat Quessenberry's lymphoma, but not Brandon Brooks' anxiety disorder?

raining threes likes this.
  9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Fuller is made of balsa wood. I would have to do that trade.

raining threes likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

No bell either:

but

11. texian

texian Member

As a player you'd be wise to always question the care decisions made by physicians employed by and making decisions in the best interest of the team when the team doctors pay the team for the privilege.

They have made questionable decisions and obviously overlooked simple diagnoses... makes you wonder if higher regarded physicians would pay for it?

12. csj

csj Member

Physicians are people and people make mistakes, especially when a lot of experience and judgement are required. Medicine is often very subjective.

Attributing judgements that seem wrong in hindsight to corrupt motives, as you have done, is repugnant. Doctors swear to uphold a professional code of ethics, regardless of who pays. Your comment says more about your personal morality than it does any team physician. Players would be wise to avoid people like you.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hmm:

#54 zeeshan2, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    red5rocket likes this.
  14. texian

texian Member

Remember that when your physician makes a mistake on someone in your family.

A simple anxiety disorder is not a difficult Dx.

No, it's mostly not. It's codified and supported by research.

Team physicians work for two masters: the organization and the player. There's a documented long history of team doctors making short term decisions that help the team over the player. Do some research. Turn on 610AM radio and listen to Ted Johnson. He has many personal examples he has shared.

Tom Savage was returned to the field two times while concussed by those physicians. If you think that was in his best interest, you are underinformed.

And doctors are held liable for violating those ethics every single day. There are Texans team doctors who have had to sit before disciplinary boards more than one time. Don't be naive.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Neither would want to play here imo.

16. csj

csj Member

Remember what? To accuse the physician of being corrupt? That's your style, not mine.

How would you know? How do you know anything about it? How do you know it wasn't properly diagnosed or treated by the team doctors? How do you know that the player in question isn't successful today BECAUSE of the action of these doctors?

You don't know squat about this, Texian. The more you talk, the dumber you look.

LOL. "Mostly" and "often" are not mutually exclusive. Medicine can "codified", "supported by research", AND "often subjective". Apparently you don't work in a field that requires thinking.

Is this anecdotes as evidence? You mean I should do YOUR research, listen to the same sports talk you do, voice the same stupid ideas you do, look for the same cheap bogeymen to blame as you do.

Now a straw man. The question here isn't what I think about this incident, it's about your assertion that the physicians went against their better professional judgement because the team paid them to. That's what you assert without evidence. You need to stick to sports and leave topics such as this out of it.

Evidence please. These are strong accusations and I'd rather "be naive" that come off as a ranting, Alex Jones talk-alike.

You're entitled to your conspiracy theories, just don't spew your BS in public and malign an entire profession. You may be such a sleaze in your personal and professional life but that doesn't mean all (team) doctors are.

17. texian

texian Member

I have a sibling has been treated for an anxiety disorder most of their life, I'm very well versed in anxiety/panic disorders and Houston is lucky to have some of the top researchers in the field.

How's your reading comprehension? Can you do dates?

Eagles OL Brandon Brooks reveals he's suffering from anxiety
    Zach Berman December 14, 2016 — 8:30 PM EST
    Eagles offensive lineman Brandon Brooks revealed Wednesday that he suffers from anxiety, a condition that caused the stomach illness which kept him out of two of the last three games.

“What I mean by anxiety condition is not nervousness or fear of the game,” Brooks said. “I have an obsession with the game. It’s an unhealthy obsession right now. I’m working with team doctors to get everything straightened out and get the help I need.”

The diagnosis came after Brooks, 27, was hospitalized with an illness on the morning of the Eagles’ Nov. 28 loss to Green Bay. He experienced another incident Sunday, when he awoke on the morning of the Redskins game with uncontrolled vomiting. Brooks returned to practice Wednesday and coach Doug Pederson said the guard is slated to start Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

That means they missed it in Houston. And yes, it is not a complicated Dx. Usually your GP Dxs it.

Do you... follow the sport at all, or do you just read the box scores?

NFL doctors should not report to teams, Harvard study recommends
    November 17, 2016
    A new report from Harvard University proposes drastic changes in the way health care is administered in the NFL, urging the nation’s most popular sports league to upend its system of medicine and untangle the loyalties of the doctors and trainers charged with treating players.

Asserting that the long-standing current structure has inherent conflicts of interest, the 493-page report outlines a new system in which a team’s medical staff is devoted solely to players’ interests and no longer reports to team management or coaches.

“The intersection of club doctors’ dual obligations creates significant legal and ethical quandaries that can threaten player health,” the report states.

The two-year study bills itself as the first of its kind in “examining the complicated and often-paradoxical universe of stakeholders that may influence NFL player health.” The NFL strongly took issue with the methodology and conclusions drawn by the Harvard researchers.

Ever heard of Megatron? Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit. This is what he says:

"The team doctor, the team trainers, they work for the team. And I love 'em, you know," he said. "They're some good people, you know. They want to see you do good. But at the same time, they work for the team, you know. They're trying to do whatever they can to get you back on the field and make your team look good. So if it's not gonna make the team look good, or if you're not gonna be on the field, then they're tryin' to do whatever they can to make that happen."

Straw...

The image will be seared in our minds for some time. We all saw Savage's helmet slam off the NRG Stadium turf in Houston. He rolled over, his arms bracketed in an apparent display of what's known as the "fencing response." His hands twitched as though he were seizing.

Referee John Hussey immediately recognized Savage's distress. According to Texans coach Bill O'Brien, the team's medical staff administered a concussion test when the quarterback reached the sideline. And then, for reasons that will and should be under discussion in the NFL office at this very moment, Savage was cleared and returned to the game for one series.
    But let's be clear: At the heart of the concussion policy is the credibility of the NFL's commitment to brain health, especially -- but not exclusively -- when you have a player exhibiting the sickening symptoms that Savage did. If a player can be in that position one moment, and then back behind center at another, the policy isn't good enough.

Again, the responsibility lies with the team physician, from league rules...

The UNC may present his/her own questions or conduct additional testing and shall assist in the diagnosis and treatment of concussions. Regardless, the responsibility for the diagnosis of concussion and the decision to return a player to a game remains exclusively within the professional judgment of the Head Team Physician or the team physician assigned to managing TBI. The UNC will also be present for sideline evaluations for neuropraxia (“stingers” or “burners”) and other potential neck injuries.

Here's another "straw man" for you...

Congressional report says NFL waged improper campaign to influence government study
    May 24, 2016
    WASHINGTON -- At least a half-dozen top NFL health officials waged an improper, behind-the-scenes campaign last year to influence a major U.S. government research study on football and brain disease, congressional investigators have concluded in a new report obtained by Outside the Lines.

The 91-page report describes how the NFL pressured the National Institutes of Health to strip the $16 million project from a prominent Boston University researcher and tried to redirect the money to members of the league's committee on brain injuries. The study was to have been funded out of a $30 million "unrestricted gift" the NFL gave the NIH in 2012.

After the NIH rebuffed the NFL's campaign to remove Robert Stern, an expert in neurodegenerative disease who has criticized the league, the NFL backed out of a signed agreement to pay for the study, the report shows. Taxpayers ended up bearing the cost instead.

The NFL's actions violated policies that prohibit private donors from interfering in the NIH peer-review process, the report concludes, and were part of a "long-standing pattern of attempts" by the league to shape concussion research for its own purposes.

"In this instance, our investigation has shown that while the NFL had been publicly proclaiming its role as funder and accelerator of important research, it was privately attempting to influence that research," the report states.
    Pallone said he hopes the report will push the league to make changes.

"The history with the league is, if you catch them, then they start to listen," Pallone said.

Jesus, you're so melodramatic. Nobody is maligning an entire profession. My best friend has been a noted physician/surgeon in Houston for going on 30 years and is a qualified medical expert. My opinions are informed by his expertise. My two best high school friends are cardiologists. I count amongst my friends more people associated in some way with the Medical Center as physicians, administrative, and support staff than you probably have family members.

But there has been and is a conflict of interest issue with NFL team doctors, and the standard of care should not be based on which doctors pay the team the most money to be able to advertise they're the Texan's doctors.

I'm not going to do any more research for you, but you can Google this for another straw man...

[Junior Seau's doctor, former Chargers team doctor David] Chao was placed on five years of probation and had his medical license revoked in 2014 after it was found that he "was convicted of a crime substantially related to the practice of medicine and engaged in dishonest and corrupt acts."

18. csj

csj Member

It doesn't surprise me that you feel this makes you an expert.

Nothing here suggests that he suffered from undiagnosed anxiety prior to that date. Was he hospitalized with an illness that wasn't diagnosed in Houston? Your armchair doctoring is weak, though unsurprising.

Pure ad hominem. Your e-penis is bigger. What next, a tantrum?

Wonder how your reading comprehension is.

Nothing in that quote that supports your position. Wanting to look good doesn't mean violating ethics.

Here the comments directly contradict your position. No one has said that doctors failed to make a diagnosis because they were employed by the team.

and here, again, you refer to a study that DIRECTLY contradicts your own assertion. Claiming that the league "waged an improper, behind-the-scenes campaign" is not evidence of physician corruption. Talk about reading comprehension!

You maligned ALL physicians employed by teams.

"As a player you'd be wise to always question the care decisions made by physicians employed by and making decisions in the best interest of the team when the team doctors pay the team for the privilege."​

I can't be racist, I have a black friend!

I noticed you didn't claim to work in medicine yourself. That makes you less experienced than me. Unlike you, though, I have no need to make such pathetic appeals to authority.

There's no evidence that the "standard of care" is based on any such nonsense.

I think it's hysterical that you call what you do "research".

From https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...doctor-settlement-junior-seau-death/96226836/:

Chao received four years probation, was restricted from prescribing Ambien, and his medical license was NOT revoked. This stemmed from an accusation that he was too lax in prescribing Ambien. Great example, loser.

It says a lot that you feel entitled to misrepresent facts and no obligation to approach the topic with even the slightest objectivity. Hopefully others will see more clearly exactly who you are. Maybe you need a few more "thinkers" among your friends to "inform" your opinions with their expertise.