1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My faith in humanity has been renewed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hakeemtheking, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I was working at my Vegas hospital the night of the shooting. My facility is about 12 miles from the Mandalay Bay, so we didn't get too many of the injured. I did provide ultrasound services for a pregnant woman and a man who had bullet fragments in the rt leg. Sunrise Hospital, our big sister hospital and a level II trauma facility got hit heard, treating 180 plus patients and performing over 30 life threatening surgeries. Sunrise looked like a war zone, blood all over the floor.

From a medical standpoint, all Vegas hospitals performed admirably. Surgeons, nurses, and other support personnel came in as fast as they could. Even retired nurses came in to help out, knowing that most of these hospitals would be in code Disaster.

At the site of the shooting, with bullets flying seemingly everywhere, there were dozens of heroes who risked their lives over and over trying to help total strangers. The machine repairman from California who helped saved 30 people (he eventually got hit with a bullet in the neck); the marine who helped 20 women climb a fence to safety; so many others. Without their selfless acts of courage, the total number of deaths and injured would have been much, much higher. I have no doubt.

We cannot let the horrible acts of a single deranged coward prevail over the fact we are all in this together. That in the limited time we have on this earth, that fellow human beings need to know we will be there for them.

B-Bob, zksb09, Rashmon and 14 others like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, and the goodwill of people didn't stop there. There were lines for donating blood that were hours long. What is awesome is that other people then brought in food, water, refreshments, and other goods to make that wait more manageable and enabling folks to stand in line that long. One man did something horrible, thousands showed goodwill and did something wonderful. That shouldn't be lost in this case.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's nice to think this world is essentially good, but I can't possibly know if that's the case. I do know that every time there is a diaster, there are tremendous good will.

4. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

There are plenty of good people out there, the problem is that the news channels have to make money and the best way to do that is to divide our nation.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

There are plenty of good folks out there. The problem is that when you tell them that the only purpose of a corporation is to make money, no matter what --THE GUN MANUFACTURERS-- and the folks who work there will do whatever it takes including propaganda funding the NRA and bribing politicians to make gun laws that help the bottom line.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

My faith was restored during Harvey. I will not doubt humanity again. While my sisters and I were assessing the damage at my moms house (4 feet of water for over a week) we had a man pass by and say he was in town on leave from fort Polk in Louisiana and was wondering if it would be ok if he helped me begun to demo the house. I said that would be great. He walked out to his mini van where he had 5 army buddies with him. They had all the tools we needed. They stayed all that day and showed up the next day at the crack of dawn. No idea what I would have done without them. While we were working we had countless amounts of people drop off food, water and lend a helping hand. I know this is unrelated but it really lifted me up with how negative the news media has been over the last few years.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.” - Fred Rogers

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mentioned this in another thread but for every one deranged madman there are hundreds of good people.