1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"My contract with the Astros is not eternal" Next week, Altuve is likely to look for a more

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stormy1234, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Marwin would fetch a decent haul I'd guess but Yuli will not, especially after another season and getting a year older than he already is.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That's about as good as things can look 6 years out as don't know what other teams will be like.

3. nono

nono Member

Welcome to the Dodgers.

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Criollo isn't the same as Creole in English. All Venezuelans (born in Venezuela) are considered criollo. So if you are an immigrant in Venezuela and act very Venezuelan they will jokingly call you criollo with affection. Criollo implies the mixing not just of races but of flavors so something like merengue, salsa, joropo are classic examples of being criollo. The food, the dance, that mix it makes them criollo.

msn and Hank McDowell like this.
  5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I should have been more clear in stating it was a funny yet bad google translation.

6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

If figured that might be the case, It should translate it as creeoeyo *with a thick southern accent*..

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hmm. I disagree with you. IMO, Springer is Biggio 2.0. Without him we don't win the World Series. I love Tuve, and want he and Correa back, but Springer is the other cog that keeps this team going.

King1 and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Looking at it objectively:

-- Correa is the youngest of the bunch and slots at #1 - if you can only keep 1, he's the one.
    -- Altuve comes in at #2 because he Astros are going to want to maximize his chase for 3K (4K?), as well as Cooperstown.
    -- Springer is a distant 3rd - very nice, athletic player who'll be 30 and likely past his prime, or close to it and a risky investment.
    -- Keuchel simply hasn't been consistent/healthy enough to give him a huge contract in his 30s.

Castor27 likes this.
  9. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Baseball players' prime is more like 30-32. These days, with the way some guys are performing later in their careers you can stretch that out to 34. So a 6 year deal for George isn't a bad deal knowing the last couple years he'll be on the decline phase and knowing he will be a right fielder for the last couple years as well.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I love George, but he is a clear step down in value from Altuve and Correa.

Aside from being an outfielder, which is inherently less valueable than a productive middle infielder, he is also older and extremely streaky. Just imagine what the narrative on Springer would be had we not won game 7 against the Yankees.

I really want us to find a way to retain him, but if their career trajectories maintain their expected direction and we have to make a choice between the 3, it's really not a hard choice.

RasaqBoi, BleedsRocketRed and jim1961 like this.
  11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Agreed. It's far away but you also have to consider Bregman's eventual extension. If you have to pick three, you pick the three younger, premium infielders.

eric.81 likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

The prime may be *longer* - but very few athletes are better at 31-32 than they are at 27-28. You cannot fight father time - he's undefeated.

George Springer has been a 5 WAR player the past two seasons; his value is ~$35MM/year. He won't get that - but someone is going to pay him...... $18+MM/year to watch him slowly decline. He's a freak athlete who plays 900 MPH and already struggles to stay healthy.

I literally love George Springer - but he's a terribly risky long-term investment.

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

THOSE guys are bros. I'd put springer in there. After this World Series win, they'll get so many endorsement they'll take less money to win championships. THEY GOT POTential baseball dynasty status

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I agree... he's the outspoken leader. Everyone has a role.

15. Hey Now!

Dream on, man...... Do you realize Tony Sipp made more than Altuve last year? Wait - Tony Sipp made more than Springer & Correa combined last year. Yeah, sure - their profiles are higher - but not $10+ million dollars higher. I'm sure HEB pays well - but not THAT well.

They are going to want to get P-A-I-D, yo.

banzai likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can say "Without Altuve the Astros don't win the World Series", Correa, Bregman, etc. Heck, without Marwin's big HR (essentially his only key hit), they may not have won the World Series.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah, not so much. Springer had 3 doubles, 5 home runs and 29 total bases in the World Series.

18. bobrek

Not arguing the greatness of Springer in the World Series. Springer was certainly the best player games 2-7 and without him they would probably not have won. However, without Altuve, they would probably not have won. Without Correa, they probably would not have won. Heck, without Charlie Morton or Brad Peacock they would probably not have won.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

That logic is irrational. That is like saying we needed those couple of strikeouts by Giles to win.

20. bobrek

So, you're saying if Altuve did not play in the World Series, the Astros would still have won?