1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"My contract with the Astros is not eternal" Next week, Altuve is likely to look for a more

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stormy1234, Nov 9, 2017.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I didn't know Jose is a bartender and Creole...

José Altuve's career is dazzling. In his resume he already has a Gold Glove, three silver bats, five All-Star Games, three batting titles in the American League and now a World Series ring.

Despite all those trophies, the Houston bartender will only earn six million dollars the following campaign. Should he win more in 2018? For many the answer is yes, but the Creole does not rush.

"All I want is to play next year and win another World Series. My contract with the Astros is not eternal, "sentenced the Maracayero, who became this year the native with more homers in the postseason (7). "There is much less to be a free agent. If the team tries to do it (renegotiate the contract) we will be happy, otherwise we will wait for free agency. "

The sidereal, in addition, have an option on the baseball player for the 2019 campaign for 6.5 million dollars. Next week, Altuve is likely to look for a more lucrative contract this year or in the future.

The Most Valuable Player award of the young circuit is almost in his hands, if the majority of the voters opted for him and not for Aaron Judge or the Dominican José Ramírez.

"Aaron Judge had a great campaign too. Who wins the MVP will be well deserved, "he said at a press conference at the headquarters of Empresas Polar.

Happy with the LVBP

The big league, who a few months ago indicated that the championship of the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League should not be carried out this year because of the situation in the country, he confessed that he was impulsive when he released that sentence.

"When I said that the LVBP should not be celebrated, I did not think of all those families that depend on that. I'm happy for the league, "he continued. "The tournament, in addition to generating direct and indirect jobs, allows the players to continue training to reach the Major Leagues."

"Winning a title with Magallanes is not my decision, I'm an employee of the Houston Astros," said the player.

2. Ranny

Ranny Member

A little help for those of you who dont speak spanish and would like to read exactly what Altuve said and its proper context:

“Lo único que quiero es jugar el año que viene y ganar otra Serie Mundial. Mi contrato con los Astros no es eterno”

All i want to do is play next year and win another World Series. Mi contract with the Astros is not eternal

“Ya queda mucho menos para ser agente libre. Si el equipo intenta hacerlo (renegociar el contrato) nosotros vamos a estar contentos, sino esperaremos la agencia libre”.

There is much less time now to become a free agent. If the team tries to do it (renegotiate the contract) we will be happy, if they dont then we will wait for free agency.

“Aaron Judge tuvo una gran campaña también. El que gane el MVP será bien merecido”

Aaron Judge also had a great season. Whomever wins the MVP will be well deserved.

“Cuando dije que no se debería celebrar la LVBP no pensé en todas esas familias que dependen de eso. Estoy contento por la liga”, continuó. “El torneo además de generar empleos directos e indirectos le permite a los peloteros seguir formándose para llegar a las Grandes Ligas”.

"Ganar un título con Magallanes no es decisión mía. Soy empleado de los Astros de Houston’’

When i said that the LVBP (Venezuelan League) should not be played i did not think of all the families that depend on it. I am happy for the League. Besides generating direct and indirect jobs , the tournament also allows ballers to prepare to reach the Major League.

Winning a title with MAgallanes is not my decision. I am an employee of the Houston Astros.

3. msn

msn Member

[​IMG]

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Correa-Altuve = GOAT DP-Combo --- Gotta keep that, right?

I hope we sign Springer too. Great talent and great for the clubhouse.

Very curious to see how profitable winning championship(s) is for the Stros.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

On the surface, Altuve deserves more $$$ and seems like a no brainer to appease him. But setting a precedent concerns me in that how many other guys could say the same? If we paid every guy what they deserve, what would our payroll be? $200m? $300m?

I realize what Altuve seems to be saying isn't a demand or a ultimatum, but it stirs a pot that doesn't presently have any good outcomes.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm worried because it's a matter of time before we start losing players. McCann said it best: people will look back at the 2017 Astros and think, how the hell did all those players play on one team? I trust our FO to extend the right players at the right price while continuing to draft and bring in the right players. There will be casualties along the way, that's a given. So lets enjoy the 2017 and 2018 Astros while we can.

Sidebar: I'm SO glad we got (at least) 1 championship. So many teams align everything perfectly only to have luck not go their way. Even if we don't win another, I can now die a happy man. Went to G1 and G7 vs. NYY and G5 vs. LAD. We witnessed GREATNESS. We have been redeemed.

Back to the topic, Crane and Luhnow have been adamant that HOU is a mid-market team. That we can't and won't complete with BOS, NYY, LAD (oh, the irony), and CHI as far as payroll is concerned. I do think HOU will make a concerted effort to keep Jose, and our core, in Houston, but we will lose significant pieces.

This could set up a la Pujols to LAA (re: Altuve, Correa) or Cano to SEA (re: Kuechel, Springer). Everything has its price, and we will be SOL if and when our players hit the market. Luhnow and our FO are surgeons, and they will not overspend an exorbitant amount just to keep a HOFer/fan favorite.

I think Kuechel and Marwin may be the first casualties. Kuechel will command upwards of $250mm, and Marwin will see Zobrist-type offers assuming he doesn't fall of the earth next season. Marwin will be sitting around 90mm, and that's an awful lot for a (albiet, valuable and necessary) utility player.

GO STROS.

mikol13 and Roc Paint like this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I assume it was said before we won the World Series. I'm not clear on how much winning a World Series changes things but it seems like more money will be coming in so I would think our payroll could increase to keep certain players...at least for this "run" window. But, I really have no idea and am more wondering if this will be the case or not. I guess we won't really know until we see it play out.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

DK isn't gonna get close to that given his inconsistency over the last two years. His stuff is clearly very precarious. Scherzer had less question marks, and was a little younger, and he got 210. I believer Kershaw got 215 which is the highest ever. Teams are much less willing to tack on those risky extras years for pitchers.

If DK has a full great season, I could see him getting a 150/6ish deal, but I highly doubt he even gets to 200, much less 250.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If it happens that 2017 is our only WS win, in 3-5 years, when we need the money, much of the excess $$$ generated will have waned. However, if we win 2 in a row, or another in a year or two, then I could see having extra monetary resources not otherwise available.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

On this topic, in a snapshot, the benefits of rebuilding have an expiration date. We are right now in the best part of the cycle in terms of reaping the talent and not yet having to pay them. When we do, our advantage will wane and although good FO decisions can keep us in the conversation, the advantage will shift back to the big spending clubs.

Its unlikely we can maintain our current level of competitiveness beyond 3-5 years from now, despite what Crane and Jeff would have us all believe.

Nook and CrushCity like this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

Typo, my bad. I meant 200mm, but you're right, that's still a stretch.

I think Kuechel's style will play up in the market. He is Glavine-esque. Buyers aren't betting on a pure gas arm that will eventually falter. I do think Kuechel's style should age well, but who knows. He really seems to struggle when his heater fails to hit 90. His injury history and home/road splits will hurt him a bit, too. Lester at 6y/155mm is a good comp, maybe even Strasberg at 7y/175m if all plays right next year. But I do think he'll get more than Cueto or Tanaka--130 and 155.

We'll see. Would love to keep Kuechel. I think he has more value with us than with other teams, but who knows.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Winners redirect that resentment into making themselves better. I'm guessing that's why Altuve's crazy successful and will be no matter what happens in a couple years.

Just look at Portions and see how energy and focus can be misdirected after an extension.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Keuchel did make the comment that he owes everything to Strom. There’s definitely loyalty there.

Altuve and Correa are probably HOFers and will likely will end up better than Biggio and Bagwell. Springer and Bregman could get there too. As guys like Verlander, McCann, and Reddick come off the books you have to replace them with young cheap guys like Whitely and Tucker and then sign the core 4 one extension every year. Marwin will be interesting. As crazy as it may seem to a casual fan if you trade him now before his FA comes up for some prospects it could be the linchpin to help with aforementioned process. Then trade Yuli for prospects after next year and hopefully one of Davis, Reed, White, Moran etc is ready.

I have faith Luhnow will find a way though guys like Marwin and Yuli may have to be traded to get it done.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Marwin Gonzalez question is an interesting one.

Marwin from 2014-2016 is useful, but replaceable. Marwin from 2017 is an invaluable star. I imagine most people feel the real Marwin is somewhere in between those 2. Do you sell high if someone is willing to send something good your way, or do you just let it play out and settle for a possible comp pick.

You don't want to rock the boat too much, particularly given how crazy flexible he makes us. The 2018 team should be a WS contender so you can't go hurting the MLB team unless you really feel strongly about a possible regression or big return.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It would be hard to justify to the fans or team members shipping him out, even if you really feel strongly about a possible regression or big return.

Come trade deadline 2018, things could be different, including him losing some of his value if he does regress. But I think that is the chance you take at this point.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros are probably going to have good years and bad years. I expect if Astros can keep 2 of Altuve, Springer, and Correa, Astros will at least be division contenders 6 years from now. I expect Angels, Rangers, and Mariners are going to hit a brick wall in the next 1-3 years.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

By competitiveness, I was thinking bigger than division contenders.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I agree with your blueprint, I dont think Marwin and Yuli are going to generate the type of prospects that can replace our core players in the years to come unless they have career years in 2018.

19. Major

Major Member

On the flipside, now is when management has the most freedom to work and not have to answer to fans. If the Astros trade MarGo and say it's in the best interest of the team long-term, no one's going to question them. Winning a World Series buys you a lot of slack.

mikol13, Nook and jim1961 like this.
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I think you have in house options in Moran, White, Davis, Reed, for Yuli and Tucker and others for OF. We need some young catchers and pitching and just more depth and lotto tickets more so than direct position replacements.

Astros are in such a good position. Next year the guys I mentioned will get more time and hopefully someone or two will step up and make us all comfortable they can be everyday guys.