1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Cell Phone. My Health.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Almu, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I am watching Larry King Live right now and they are discussing that cell phones could be linked to cancer in the brain.

They suggest that you use an earpiece instead of putting the phone right up to your ears where the microwaves can't reach your brain. The thing is that there is now proof that the earpiece makes it even worse because the earpiece is right into the ear and can speed up tumor developement.

They are discussing this now because there are people dying of brain tumors and it also happen that they are heavy cell phone users. The kicker is that the tumor developed on the side where they frequently held the phone to. Also, they say that the new cordless phones that you are using for your home are now as powerful as most cell phones. That could cause tumors also.

Now, all this is premature. But there is mounting evidence of a link between the two. But is this another global warming scare? I burn the hell out of my cell phone and I am starting to think twice about this. I use my celly almost twice as much as my home phone. But my damn home phone is one of the new gigahertz thingies they say could be dangerous too! Whats a man to do? There are people placing calls to the show telling of how they were using their cell phones and developed tumors on the side of the head where they are using the phone. They are comparing it to what was happening in the 1960's when smoking was starting to be linked with lung cancer.

Should we be worried? Or is this all a bunch of BS? Or should we consider it coincidence until epidiological data is present? But what if when they say yes its too late for you or I?

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 09, 2000).]

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Every time that I am thinking about getting a cell phone, another TV report comes out about the possible linkage and I change my mind.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Hopefully they will soon be able to transplant brains, like hearts and kidneys. [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited August 09, 2000).]

4. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

i don't understand how the "microwaves" could cause cancer in the brain before causing cancer on the skin that covers the skull that covers the brain, but i'm not a doctor so i wouldn't know.

however, if there is a correlation, that's pretty scary, the cell phone craze is really quite out of hand cancer or not.

------------------

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Karma is a b**** ain't it.

Is this just a precursor to the problems modern technology is going to cause? Will we find out that 'maybe its not so good to have all these toys'.

Call me crazy, but I've never owned a microwave oven. I don't know, but I've just always had a bad feeling about them. I have to fight my wife when she wants me to carry our cell phone. I've just never trusted them.

That’s not to say that I don't embrace technology, I'm on here right? But where are we going to draw the line?

------------------

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

How would the earpiece be worse? There is no microwave radiation coming from a plug-in earpiece.

So far, all the evidence is all anecdotal. In many of these cases, they're looking at someone who developed cancer or a tumor and then trying to find the culprit. Cell phones or power lines or things like that are easy to point to, but are probably not the cause at all.

In 1996, the U.S. National Reseach Council studied 500 prior studies conducted over the previous 17 years and came to the conclusion that low-frequency electromagnetic fields do not cause cancer. Since then, another in-depth study on lab mice actually showed that mice exposed to cell phone radiation in the same way a person would be exposed if they were heavy cell-phone users actually had a lower instance of cancer than the control group.

On the other hand, a similiar study on lab mice found higher instances of cancer in mice exposed to cell phone radiation. However, these mice were specifically bred to be cancer-prone. The lesson there may be that a person who has a genetic predisposition toward getting cancer might be prone to having that cancer come about from the cell phone radiation.

So, perhaps if you have a family history of cancer, you might be a little more wary (and that is just one study. The vast majority of studies show no risk or miniscule risk from cell phones) than the average person.

As it is, the cell phone is far more dangerous as a distraction to driving than it is as a cancer/tumor risk. At least that's what two decades of research has wrought.

But hey, if you're uncomfortable using a cell phone because of a perceived risk, then don't use one (I don't have one, but that's mainly because I don't have any need for one). The better safe than sorry approach is often a very good tack to take.

I still do not see how an earpiece could be dangerous at all (in terms of radiation) given that the transmitter/receiver is still in the phone, the earpiece is just a little speaker on a wire.

------------------
    www.houstonsportsboard.com

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I have no cellular, no cordless phone, and I don't plan on getting one.

And if I have to, I definently won't be using it compulsively.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I used to be a heavy cell phone user. Then i started to hear all these reports, and i dont use it as much. A phone with a large antenna is a good way to go, or so I've heard. Unfortunately my 8860 has no freakin antenna. So now, like i said, i dont use it as much as i used to.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Smeggy is not FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.