1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My best friend just got the head baseball job at Georgia State

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Wulaw Horn, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

We call each others parents Auntie and Uncle, grew up together as family and knew each other since we were 2. I am beyond excited for him. He's been coaching in the NAIA level for the last 7 years and went to 3 or 4 world series for them, and won national coach of the year a couple times. Still, for all that, I don't think it's a common jump to go from NAIA to a D1 job, and doing it in the same city where he was settled in and his wife has a big time job is just awesome. His name is Brad Stromdahl

Another friend of mine, that I played little league and basketball with has the head job at Cal Berkley, after being a rule 5 guy that played all of 1 season with the A's as a rule 5 guy, and parts of a couple others with the Marlins. His name is Mike Neu

Now, neither of these guys, obviously, are household names, but they are doing pretty well in career with baseball. I worked as an assistant GM out of law school with my friend Brad for a summer on a north woods league team before deciding I didn't see any path from there to organized baseball either in a FO or as an agent, but it was fun as hell, and maybe I bailed on that dream a little easy (really it wasn't a dream for me where I'd be willing to put in the incredible hard work that they did to get to where they are at right now- massive props to them).

That's my story- what is yours? Who is the most famous or successful person you grew up with in the game? It's been fun to live vicariously through these guys. Both have just been incredibly humble about everything that's come their way which is pretty cool to see.

Looking forward to having a beer with my buddy after his opening game at a D1 school next February or so, like I got to do in Arlington (Astros were still an NL Central team) with my other buddy the first time he came through Texas as a big leaguer.

CometsWin and HTown2017Champs like this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

My select team coach (and private instructor) when I was in middle school was Bo Porter. Actually ran into him last year at my buddy's wedding and had a nice conversation with him.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I played one round of a golf tournament with Cavan Biggio when I was in elementary school and beat him. We were both awful. Glad to see he went with baseball.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Did he tell you to go to left field?

I went to school with Larry Dierkers son, Ryan. Cook Rangers represent.

Also went to school with Brandon Belt and Hunter Dozier.

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I was good friends growing up with the Athletic director at Delaware St. He was also the AD at Ark pine bluff and Howard.

I grew up with Dickie Simpkins. Played Basketball at Providence and then with Jordan and the Bulls.

My brother went to HS with Tamoor Barnes.

Thats it