1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Atkins diet is so successful!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bob718, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I lost 55 pounds in less than 5 months, isn't that sweet! :D

recommend it to you all. little exercise, low carb, no sugar, you will lose weight like crazy! The only trouble I'm having with it is I can't find any clothes in my draweres that would fit me, every 2 month :D

#1 bob718, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

that is the pure red meat diet right? Hows your chlorestol level looking like now

3. bob718

A bit high but I am ok with it. My propriety was to lose weight and I'm now more than satisfied with the result. I eat but anything but bread and rice. love fish, veggie, chicken, pork and fruit. chips and ice cream only once in a while, no more than twice a month.

4. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

IVe heard its really easy to do but make sure if you are doing it, to run and exercise since your chloresterol levels might shoot up.

Just a question, im about 5-9 or 5-10 ish and I weigh about 145... how long on the atkins would it take for me to lose a good 5-10 pounds?

5. bob718

I don't think you need to lose any weight at all, but if you are serious about it, you can try the ""eggs and cucumbers only" method. I did, and lost 5 pounds in a week.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Atkins is a good technique to help people who are so overweight that working out isnot really an option for them. However, it is important that once you do it you stop sooner than later and start learning proper nutrtition and exercising daily, otherwise you will eventually relapse. Take it from a two time 60+lbs weight loss on Atkins veteran who is now a personal trainer... It is critical to learn how to maintain your weight off of Atkins

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The whole problem with Atkins is the long-term issue. That is why it's a failure. 55 lbs in 5 months is great but let's see in 18 months. If he hasn't gained 100% of it back I'll be surprised. Every person I know that did Atkins gained it back because you cannot eat that way long-term.

8. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

yeah i just started as well, i am 5 10 180-185 when my ideal weight should be 155. its pretty hard for me to find food without carbs on campus tho lol.

9. fat kid

fat kid Member

you MUST start working out once you feel like you dropped enough fat

this is important for your skin

same goes with keto diets

10. SoundMan

SoundMan Member

losing a bunch of weight is cool at first..then you realize you got a bunch of loose skin from doing it too fast.

learn to eat a balanced diet..not starve yourself completely from a major macro nutrient!

11. bob718

REALLY?

It that does happen, I am a big big idiot for already got rid of all my old clothes...

No, I am determined not to allow it come true! :D

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Um....I really don't think you need to lose any more weight.....

Like DonnyMost says, Atkins is good if you need to lose a lot of weight, but it's not a good long term solution. When my pants start to get tight, I might go on it for a couple of weeks just to drop a quick 7 or 8 pounds. But that's only once every 3 or 4 months. I'm not even sure if that's healthy or not. Donny?

By the way, Atkins doesn't mean you eat beef, bacon, and sausage 3 times a day. It works a lot better if you mix in some fish and chicken.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I only suggest Atkins as a "last" resort.

Like I said, if you're obese and basically hopeless.... give it a shot

Otherwise, log your calories and learn what the right portions are for you.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I read somewhere that only 3% of people that lose weight keep it off long term. Supposedly if you make it to 24 months, your long term odds improve significantly.

Congrats and good luck!

15. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

South Beach is a good transition from Atkins, once you've dropped off the bulk of the chunkage.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Now that you have lost all that weight (congrats, BTW), you might want to switch it up and just start exercising daily so that you keep the weight off

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

what are you gonna do when you end the atkins diet to keep the weight off?

My only problem with Atkins is I see poeople use it but because they did not eat "regular" meals and exercise to lose the weight they have no idea how to keep it off.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the main problem is because you modded your diet into a totally different diet so once you are eating carbs again you will be at square one for self control.

Once you end Atkins you have to see it as the first day of your diet, not celebration time.

19. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Congrats! It is definitely a tough diet to maintain over the long-term, but there ARE some people that are able to do that.

If you find yourself heading back to carbs and what not, try transitioning to the South Beach diet. It's not as rigid, but you'll keep the weight off and eat healthy carbs.

Good luck.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Donny,

I've dropped 60 lbs just by eating right, counting calories, and dropping the trash out of my diet, eating lots of greens, chicken, eggs, and fish. I'm not on Atkins per se. Just trying to eat different and consistently.

So, here's my question. I've plateaued at 225. I'd like to suck off the rest of my belly. What exercise to you recommend to do that most efficiently? Cardio or Resistance? And if so, what would be a routine that is the least stress and least time consuming? I am over 40 now and the idea of running makes my knees hurt to think about it. I'd really like low impact but efficient. I am a very busy person, don't have time for the hour in the gym every day and the gyms are all too far from my house anyways.