1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My adventures in Portland - Game 5 edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wang69, Apr 30, 2009.

1. wang69

wang69 Member

I meant to post this earlier, but I have just been swamped the last 24 hours. Anyway, I live in Vancouver, Canada, which is about a six hours drive to Portland. Myself and three friends of mine went down to Portland on Tuesday to catch game 5 (we paid $145 USD each for $25 USD upper bowl tickets!! wtf), and here is what went down (other than the Rockets losing the game :mad: ). This was our first time watching the Houston Rockets play in person, and for my friends, the first NBA game since the Vancouver Grizzlies got shipped off to Memphis eight or nine years ago (I caught a Blazers-Mavs game in Portland some years ago when my school basketball team went to Oregon to play against American high schools).

The first Rockets-related event that happened to us was running into one of the players while shopping. About five hours before tip-off, we were at Pioneer Place in downtown Portland when a tallish lone figure walked by us. "Dude, that's VON WAFER!" We quickly doubled back and caught up with him and asked him to take pictures with us:

[​IMG]

We wished him luck for the night's game and we went along our separate ways. For anyone who is curious, those are Louis Vuitton and True Religion bags that he's carrying.

About half an hour before tip-off, we made our way to the Rose Garden. My friends were being chickens but I put on a Yao jersey way before walking into the arena. The Blazers jersey to Rockets jersey ratio was about 10000:1. Here's a picture of me in a sea of Blazers fans:

[​IMG]

I would like to note that, at this point before the game, I didn't receive any flak from the local fans. Maybe a few stares, but no trash-talking. As we made our way to our seats, we were stopped by a local TV crew and when they found out we came all the way from Vancouver to cheer for the Rockets, they decided to give us an interview. I have no clue whether it ended up being aired. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

As we sat down at our seats, some guy behind me said "You can't sit here with that jersey on." So began a long night of insults and snide remarks from the locals. One guy walked by and yelled "Nice jersey boys, city pride!!", obviously assuming us to be from Portland and city traitors. Luckily, the guy who sat down beside us was very polite and nice to us. He had been a season ticket holder for over 30 years (every since the Bill Walton championship era) and he shared some Blazers history with us. He also opined that Greg Oden will be better than Kevin Durant in a few years. Now that's a homer statement if I ever heard one. Here's a picture as players got set to tip off:

[​IMG]

Well, we all know what happened during the game. Depite being in hostile territory, my friends and I cheered loudly and enthusiastically for the Rockets. I even gave a shot at booing the Portland free throw shooters even though I was way up in level 3. As the game went along, we spotted at least two other groups of Rockets fans donning Houston jerseys. I've got to give the Portland fans credit, they are LOUD. Everyone in the arena was really into it, at the expense of my eardrums. Now I see why Rose Garden is a tough place to play for any team.

Anyway, after the game was over, we shuffled out of the arena. Now the trash-talking was rampant and nasty. All the locals were riding high on emotion and I got razzed pretty badly as I opted to keep my Yao jersey on. I heard stuff like "Go home Yao Ming!" "F--- Yao!" "Yao sucks!" and my personal favorite, from a middle-aged lady: "Ew, ew, kick him out! Kick him out!" Later, my friends and I grabbed a bite at a nearby Mexican restaurant/bar full of Blazers fans celebrating the victory. As we were walking out of the door, I yelled "GO ROCKETS!!" and then booked it. Probably not the bravest thing to do in that situation, but I did want to go home in one piece.

Other than the blight of the Rockets loss, it was a pretty decent trip overall. The shopping in Portland is great (no tax!!). Anyway, I feel pretty confident that we're going to close them out tonight. We had that last game until the refs completely took away our momentum. GO ROCKETSSSSS!!!!!!!!

9 people like this.
  2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

nicely done thanks for the experiences

3. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Totally Awesome Post!

Well done. We'll get that 4th win for you tonight in Houston!

4. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

5 stars, thanks for the post

5. astros148

astros148 Member

lol did you buy scalped tickets or did you buy them off stubhub or something

6. wang69

wang69 Member

I actually used a website called Coast to Coast Tickets. On hindsight, we probably could have got them cheaper off the Blazers NBA site. Oh well, at least the tickets were real!

7. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

nice glad u had fun!!! I am sure the fans arent tooo bad if all they said was SUCKS and **** yao. atleast it was nothing PERSONAL to u. it is rough to cheer on the road especially in the playoffs. thanks for sharing, hopefully we close this thing out tonight and then we can have some fun

8. returningfan

returningfan Member

FAN-tastic post - thanks for sharing. (wondering why VW was out shopping five hours before the game.........is that usual for players to be alone and out and about like that?).

9. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Thanks for sharing with us. Nice writing.

10. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

For quality Mexican food, you think Portland. Great post, glad you rocked a Rockets jersey.

11. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

nice post , gooo goooo rocket.

12. hookem12387

hookem12387 Member

When compared to vancouver, probably. Thanks for the post OP, good stuff. That fan really was crazy to think Oden will ever be able to touch KD, but I'm not biased at all ;)

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Great read, thanks for sharing ;)

14. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

great read and nice pictures.

15. bloop

bloop Member

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

There is nother better than being afan going to a road game and watching your team win.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

even though we lost that game