1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Actual result is more voters will vote the best player in the best team.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Forget the media, we can't even get our own house in order.

Clutchfans haters, whiners, and crybabies have been trashing Harden all season long for being "selfish" during his streak and for chasing another MVP.

Tell me, was Michael Jordan "selfish" for chasing more MVPs after he won his first in 1988? Was he being "selfish" when he dropped 69 on Cleveland in 1990?

Appreciate greatness while you have a chance. The dog years are always painful. Look at the Bulls over the last 20 years since Jordan.

Always show love to your MVP.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The media really screwed up giving Westbrook the MVP in 2017. They irrevocably marred the point of the award and how winning should be the main goal.

Harden should not be the MVP this year. He isn’t going to win enough games. Giannis is putting up absurd stats with the best team in the league. That should ALWAYS be the leader for the MVP, as it was Harden last year.

But the media opened the door for the “stats > wins” logic. Westbrook winning and Harden not winning is a logicless thought process and the media allowed that doubt to be put in place. It’s stupid. And Harden is likely going to be the victim of goal post moving for the 3rd time in 5 years.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

By your standard, voting is not even necessary.

BeBreezy and D-rock like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I do think the logic should be consistent with the voting, yes.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I agree with you. But the practice of voting seems to show that the NBA does not intend to use mere statistics and mathematics and a computer to choose the MVP.

D-rock likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Then it shouldn’t solely be the media to vote, given they are the ones who dictate the “narratives” to begin with.

But I know that’s not happening. Just shows a flawed system.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Not trying to be difficult, but I want to observe: "The MVP should be on the winningest team" is also a narrative, built by a whole bunch of people (media?) saying it again and again.

D-rock likes this.
  9. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Giannis scored 16 of the Bucks 130 last night...game before that? 17 out of 140, Meanwhile Harden gets you 30-60 every single night...no discussion indeed

D-rock likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Russ didn’t deserve it because Harden was doing something just as historic and won more games while being way more efficient. His statline was pretty much just as crazy as Westbrook’s minus 2 uncontested rebounds per game. Idk how many times I have to explain that to u. It’s not like Russ averaged a 30 point triple double, and Harden averaged 27, 6, and 8. Russ won because he had 2 extra rebounds per game which is so insignificant for a guard. Harden had just as impressive a case as Russ when it came to stats, but he also won more. That is why Russ didn’t deserve MVP that year. Harden is now doing something historic, but what Giannis is doing doesn’t even come close. Harden is averaging 37, 7, and 8 while dragging an injury laden squad from 14th in the West to 5th. He has averaged over 40 ppg since mid-December. Whatever Giannis has been doing this season doesn’t even compare when it comes to historical significance. Nobody talks about what Giannis is doing. His season won’t even be remembered a few years from now. Harden is being talked about on a nightly basis because he’s dominating the NBA in ways we haven’t seen in ages.

MJ won MVP in 1988 when he averaged 35 ppg and his team won 50 games...

What Harden is doing is a lot more rare than what Giannis is doing. No player has averaged over 35 ppg with Harden’s level of efficiency. Only Wilt had more 30 point games in a row. Kobe couldn’t do it. MJ didn’t do it. Bron didn’t do it. AI didn’t do it. KD didn’t do it. They didn’t even come close. Harden is all alone in 2nd place with 32 straight games.

Lol, what? Mike D’antoni’s coaching career was on life support before Harden came into his life. There’s a reason why most of CF was crying when it was announced we were gonna hire him. The roster changes, guys get injured left and right, yet the Rockets keep winning because 1 constant remains, and that is Harden. Harden had success before D’antoni with a sub-par coach in McHale. Meanwhile the Bucks were average EC fodder before Coach Bud arrived. They had pretty much this exact same roster last year and didn’t do sh*t. Coach Bud comes along and now all of the sudden they’re moving the rock like they’re GS, hoisting up threes like they’re Houston, and defending at an elite level. Yeah, that must be all because of Giannis...

I posted way more than PPG for why Harden should be MVP...

#70 Reeko, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    slothy420, lilbird20, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Reeko bringing so much heat in this thread my fingers have 3rd degree burns from typing out this post! :eek:

lilbird20, BigMaloe, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I have no problem with winning being rewarded. That’s why I think Giannis is the obvious MVP, like Harden last year.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

it wasn't until last night when I was watching that 4OT Hawks-Bulls game I realized exactly how crazy Harden is and that no one else outside of Rockets fans notices it.

They went to 4OT and Lavine and Young played 55 minutes each but neither of them were able to even score/assist as much as Harden does during a regulation game. And Harden has scored 50+/10+a 6 times this season.

Also it wasn't until this season I realized how insanely hard it was for Michael Jordan to average 37 ppg in that 86-87' season.

The last time someone came close was Kobe in 05' avg 35ppg. Basically, we're not going to see this happen again for another decade at least.

It's a shame not more bball fans aren't recognizing this.

What Giannis is doing is great an all but it's not historical. The MVP race shouldn't even be a race, Harden should just win it flat out. Giannis is playing with 2 legit all-stars in Middleton and Bledsoe. Voting Giannis for MVP is like voting Curry for MVP except Curry had that one historical season which he actually deserved it.

ilovehtownbb and D-rock like this.
  15. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

I don’t get this.

I think “winning per record” simplifies it to absurdity.

The award is more like: “who is the most valuable player to their team getting wins”. This doesn’t mean the team with the best record. It means - out of the top winning teams, which player has the most outsized contribution to those wins? Which team, if that player is taken away, will lose the most wins?

Out of the top teams - teams that are winning - Harden clearly is more valuable to the Rockets and Giannis is to the Bucks... by every metric and eye test.

Richie_Rich and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. I watched that game. They were amazing but the attrition wore them down. They don't have the stamina that Harden has. Lots of mental mistakes late for both of them. They also missed point blank layups. Their jumpers were front rim. It is understandable.

We don't fully realize how much of a LOAD Harden carries. It is remarkable and we take it for granted.

lilbird20, D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think it obviously needs context added, but it cannot be argued that the Rockets have not had a very underwhelming season, while the Bucks are exceeding expectations. Injuries are a factor but that cannot be denied.

Like in 2017...the Thunder failed to live up to anybody’s expectations. That shouldn’t be rewarded.

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

But Giannis plays defense!

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just not historically great defense.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

1st in wins - Giannis

Simple as that. He’s also averaging 27 / 12 / 6 / 1.5 / 1.5 on 58% in only 33 minutes, so his numbers aren’t bad either.