1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mutombo - where's he heading?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oatdog, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

Mutombo. The biggest contender for leading the league in blocks and rebounds. Arguably the best defense against Shaq. How many teams must be drueling over him? How much could Atlanta be asking for him? What benefit would Atlanta possibly have in keeping him? These are without a doubt the most interesting questions left to be answered in the rest of this offseason IMO. A Mutombo move could completely shake the balance of power in the NBA.

Some contenders:

Dallas (have the depth (esp. if they got Joe Smith) and youth to make a fair swap with Atlanta, it would turn them into instant contenders)

New York (the biggest rumor, but I don't think they have enough to offer)

Portland (I don't really see them trading anymore, but they'd be wise to think about it)

Who else?

Where is he going to go?

[This message has been edited by Oatdog (edited September 24, 2000).]

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Atlanta's repeatedly said they are rebuilding around Mutumbo, and that he is not on the block. In fact, they're supposedly trying to get an extension done. If he did have to go, the destinations where he would make the most sense are Portland and New York IMO.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited September 24, 2000).]

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Yep, what Cat said. The Hawks are not getting rid of Mutumbo. The Knicks are trying but the Hawks turn down every offer (so far)

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

Man, that would make Atlanta pretty stupid IMO. They have to be bluffing as it is just plain dumb to rebuild around a 35 year old who is a FA after this year. Why the heck would he even want to come back to a lottery bound team? It just would make NO sense for Atlanta to keep him! NY's offers are just not fair value. Atlanta's in no hurry, and it wouldn't help their cause to just announce he's available. That's just business in the NBA. Anyway, if one of the wannabes in the West actually gets Mutombo, they're right in the thick of things with SA and LA IMO.

[This message has been edited by Oatdog (edited September 24, 2000).]

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Maybe the Hawks are just trying to drive up his value by publically stating how much they want him. It also makes it easier when thay have to go to Dikembe and say.."we *really* didn't want to do it but just look at what the offer was...!"

------------------
    GATER

6. Summer Song Giver

Dikembe will be in either New York or Atlanta and Dallas has an outside chance of landing the best the NBA has to offer when it comes to stopping SHAQ.(besides Cato [​IMG])

IF NEW YORK GETS MUTOMBO
    C-MUTOMBO
    PF-CAMBY that's a pretty good front court defensively
    SF-RICE
    SG-SPREEWELL
    PG-WARD
    So that means Houston and spare parts to Atlanta

IF DALLAS GETS MUTOMBO
    C-Mutombo
    PF-Laetner or possibly Joe Smith
    SF-John Wallace
    SG-Finley
    PG-Nash,Eisley

That means Nowitzki and Alexander to Atl.

I see no reason Atlanta should hold onto Mutombo at this stage of his Career.They are at least two or three years from contending for a playoff spot and moving Mutombo could speed up the rebuilding process.

------------------
    I'm not the type to eat it up but the type to hit it raw dog and seed it up.

7. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

If Atlanta has an eye on rebuilding, then dealing for Houston makes just about as much sense as holding onto Mutombo seeing as both are free agents at the years end and there's no guarauntee Houston would stay.

I think he'll be dealt but not for Houston

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm not sure I would give up Dirk for Dikembe. Something tells me that Dirk is gonna be a top 5 sf in a couple years. He has the talent.

------------------
    "Well, I don't know what I received my honorary degree in, but judging by the fine sisters in the crowd, I hope it is gynecology." Mike Tyson speaks to the crowd after receiving his honorary degree from a college in Ohio.