1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mutombo to play 1 more year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by runninhorns, Sep 7, 2007.

1. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5111825.html

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA — It has taken nearly four months to get the agony of the Game 7 playoff loss to Utah out of his head. But Dikembe Mutombo is ready to look forward to one final NBA season with the Rockets.

"I will probably sign," Mutombo said Wednesday night at a reception for Basketball Without Borders, the NBA outreach program that is in its fifth year of assembling the top 100 African prospects. "I just need one more phone call. (Rockets owner) Les (Alexander) and I need to squeeze out one or two more things."

The Rockets made the 41-year-old Mutombo a veteran's minimum offer of $1.2 million in July and likely have upped that to $1.9 million, the most they would have available under the NBA salary cap.

"I will probably play one more year," Mutombo said. "Not half or part of a year. If I sign, I will be there on Oct. 1.

"They can only offer me a little contract, pay me only so much at this point. I know the Rockets are in that position. My mistake is that I didn't get into a position to sign a contract earlier in the summer. I let myself get pushed to the back, and that's what makes me a little mad.

"But I understand. They must look at the overall franchise and the future and where they are going and do what is best for them in the future. I'm just an old guy looking to play one more year."

The 7-2 center was productive last season, his 16th NBA campaign. Mutombo started 33 games during the stretch when Yao Ming was sidelined with a broken leg and finished the season averaging 3.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.01 blocked shots. New Rockets coach Rick Adelman wants the security of a veteran defensive force behind Yao for a potential playoff run.

"Physically, I am fine," Mutombo said. "I can come back and play again. No doubt about that. Mentally, that's where I needed to heal. I was upset. I was frustrated at the end of the season. I was angry about the final game and the way it came out.

"I had a great season in my role, and I had great hopes and expectations for the playoffs. Then we get into the first round, and Dallas loses. Everything was opening up. It was there for us. But we didn't take advantage of the opportunity that was in front of us.

"You don't know how many times you are going to get these opportunities. Everyone on our team must understand that. I realize it. I'm at the end. It's why it hurts me so much to lose. ... I don't want to go out like that."

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Knew this post alredy.Great news.

3. Dei

Dei Member

He's gonna keep saying this every year.

4. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

:D Yeah he's older than some coaches.

5. liangqj

liangqj Member

When Rocket lost Game 7 vs Jazz,T-mac would feel the worst.Mutombo has played the Final for one time,I really don't think that he was hurt weightily. :p

6. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

are you kidding me? he filled in for yao very admirably when he got hurt and helped to improve the rockets record. he united the team as one. have you ever seen any team whose bench players were always standing cheering on those who were playing?

he also knew if the rockets get past the jazz, then they are playing in the conference finals. it was a letdown for everyone, but especially to those like deke who are near the end of their playing careers. :D

7. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac def. felt like a failure and he def. felt the worse out of everyone since the media and everyone put a microscope on him the most b/c of his history.

but u gotta understand, u play to win for a 'chip. deke thought he had a great opportunity to go to the WCF w/ dallas losing and we didn't take advantage. that's all.

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

can't edit so... but i think he also was pretty peeved that he played so little in the playoffs after contributing SO MUCH during the reg. season. he probably would have slowed boozer down or get some defensive rebounds here and there. all a game of what ifs to him.

9. windfern

windfern Member

right until he realize that he runs out of H20.

Jeff should have let him play for 48 minutes on that final game 7. :D

10. Dei

Dei Member

Disappointment? I remember reading this article, I think it was from hou chron, saying how relaxed the Rox were after their game 6 loss - that they were actually laughing in the locker room and on the plane on their way back to Houston. Guess Deke's much more annoyed at how the team handled the situation than the actual loss. That series was very, very winnable - it could've been a sweep, even; but the Rockets have this bad habit of being complacent when things are going their way. Same thing happened to the Dallas series (even if the officiating was a bigger issue).

11. liangqj

liangqj Member

Maybe I kid you.If you have never read this news,do you think that?If you did,I am proud of you.

12. liangqj

liangqj Member

you are right.dallas was lost.But Rocket cound not catch the opportunity.Less people felt Rocket losing the promotion chance .

13. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

last year easily would've been deke's second best chance of his career at a title, had we beaten Utah. not like he had a chance beating the lakers when he's with the sixers. so i'm sure he's hurt.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Glad Mutombo is back, team can always use a classy vet like him. I still have questions about him, though... specifically, (1) will he have enough left in the tank this time around? (2) will Adelman make good use of him? Remember, his career was all but dead when he got to the Rockets and it got revived because Van Gundy was as good a fit for him as there is.

15. liangqj

liangqj Member

Yes,now I believe he is hurt.I do not suspect what deke said.Before this news,I didn't know that he can't recover from the failure.That is what I meant.

16. The Brian

The Brian Member

good news.

now we can win deke the championship this year. :D

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

How many rings Deke has?

18. Panda

Panda Member

So the Houston Raptor is back, good news.

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

none. thats why he is coming back this season for that ONE ring.

20. liangqj

liangqj Member

I have no expectation about it. :p