1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mutombo involved in African gold smuggling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by da1, Jan 15, 2012.

1. djimi

djimi Member

"The proposal for buying the gold originally came from Dikembe Mutombo, a retired NBA star who played for the Houston Rockets for several seasons at the end of his 18-year career, the report says. Mutombo was born in Congo and is involved in a number of humanitarian projects there, including a hospital. His motivation, those involved said, was to help fund some of his projects."

This shows Dike is a very smart guy, for he knows gold is REAL money as opposed to all fiat currencies in the world which is growing like a raging fire causing inflation. Historically Gold is the ultimate safe haven (silver too i must add). Anyway, there's a few things to focus on if you want to go deeper into this story but this being a site about Houston Rockets i shall refrain from elaborating and getting politically favorable to one party, just take note of the following points :

1) This is a UN Report, how much can we believe into it? There was also a UN report quite a number of years back stating Weapon of Mass Destruction existed in a certain country but until today, none was found....hmmm

2) Gold is made illegal to export because it is used to fund illegal activities in Congo? Are you sure that is the reason? There's more to it. Even without gold this crap have been going on all around Africa for the longest time.

3) Dike did not comment because he didnt want to add more confusion to this story and also im pretty sure he had legal advise to do so, for his comments can be used in court. A lot of people get into more trouble when they comment best is to keep quiet.

Anyway, i hope everyone should think logically when reading any news being fed to us and not jump to conclusion, the media tends to pick sides all the time, NBA is a perfect example, see how the news about big stars from big team like LA/NY get twisted for their benefit.

1 person likes this.
  2. payaso

payaso Member

Repped.

If those of you with money in the stock market want to survive the coming financial Armageddon, go with precious metal stocks to hold, and dividend-paying stocks for steady growth. To paraphrase Rick Pitino:

"The 1990s and the Internet ain't walking through that door, folks."

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

hopefully rick didnt give you advice while he was in a restaurant. sometimes he's distracted.

4. bpbkforlife

bpbkforlife Member

Look at the pot calling the kettle black.....Lmmfao

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Its even from a Barrister

I keep getting emails from him in my junk email box.

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dikembe is laundering money for Les Alexander's under-the-table payment to the next big FA acquisition.

7. da1

da1 Member

By Mike Tolson and Tony Freemantle
    HOUSTON CHRONICLE

One-time NBA star Dikembe Mutombo has made a worldwide name for himself sponsoring humanitarian projects and noble causes in his native Africa, so it was only natural that two State Department officials would meet with him in November 2010 as part of his effort to bring more attention to the bloody trade in conflict minerals that has bedeviled his homeland, the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Less than two weeks later, according to a U.N. report, Mutombo was in New York on a more personal cause — trying to interest a Houston oil executive in a $10 million deal to buy 1,045 pounds of gold from the mines of eastern Congo, the heart of the conflict mineral trade.

If Mutombo had reservations about the apparent contradiction between word and deed, he did not show it. He eagerly explained how he and his family had 4 tons of Congolese gold just waiting for a buyer.

Because of an internal ban on mining and exports, imposed to try to stop the main revenue source for the mafia-like militias that controlled them, the gold could not be taken to market in usual ways. What Mutombo needed was somebody with money, connections and the ability to put a deal together.

Enter Kase Lawal. As chairman of CAMAC, a Houston energy company, Lawal knew Mutombo from the latter’s final days with the Houston Rockets — and he knew how to do business in Africa. Lawal moved to Houston from Nigeria as a young man and built a company that prospered in large measure because of his operations there and in neighboring countries.

Better yet, he had millions of dollars at his disposal, a corporate jet big enough to move extra cargo and an old family friend, Carlos St. Mary, with experience trading Third World minerals.

St. Mary said the deal was described as lawful in Kenya, where it would take place. He started work immediately, hoping the transaction would be done before Christmas. The gold was “dirty,” still in nugget and dust form, but that hardly mattered. St. Mary had expectations of his biggest payday ever with his share of the profits.

There were, however, no profits to be had. In truth, the deal was an elaborate scam that ended at an airport in Goma with the seizure of the Gulfstream V jet and the arrest of St. Mary and several CAMAC employees, all suddenly facing accusations of money laundering and attempted smuggling.

More than 1,000 pounds of gold pulled from the cargo hold was taken away by Congolese officials. Two bags containing $6.6 million in cash were gone as well, into the pockets of a local general whose loyal troops oversee much of the nearby mining operations.

To make matters worse, Lawal had to pay millions more to recover his plane and his people. St. Mary said Lawal later told him the entire ordeal cost him around $30 million.

The failed smuggling plot drew global attention. But conspicuously absent from publicity surrounding the incident was any mention of the part played by Mutombo, the finger-wagging basso profondo whose 7-foot stature and defensive prowess made him a force on the hardwoods.

Not only had Mutombo initiated the deal, St. Mary said, but he and his family played a key role from the onset, one not revealed until recently with the release of a United Nations report on Congo’s militia activity that recounts the incident.

Mutombo would not talk about his involvement. “I have nothing to say,” he replied when reached by phone in Atlanta. But the extent of it became clear through lengthy interviews with St. Mary, who kept records and copies of text messages throughout the ordeal, and the report by U.N. investigators. Through a spokesman, Lawal declined to comment.

Two big surprises

It all started on Dec. 3, 2010, when St. Mary walked into a New York hotel. He thought he had been summoned to help with an oil deal that Lawal had been pursuing in Liberia. To his surprise, he saw Mutombo, an old acquaintance, and three of Mutombo’s nephews, David and Stephan Kapuadi and Reagan Mutombo.

More surprising was the Mutombo contingent’s proposal: the purchase of 1,045 pounds of gold that would generate $10 million in profits to be divided three ways — 40 percent to Lawal, 30 percent to St. Mary and 30 percent to the Mutombo family. And there was the promise of more gold to come.

The U.N. report said Reagan Mutombo and the Kapuadis ran through a PowerPoint presentation, complete with slides of gold bullion and the admonition, underlined, that “highest discretion and confidentiality is a priority.” Initially, the Kapuadis said, the group would act as the buyer, and a valid license to import gold or minerals was mandatory.

There was no discussion of conflict minerals, the broad term that refers to gold and three other minerals used in electronics and other industries, and the production of which often involves forced labor and helps fund armed conflict.

Dikembe Mutombo represented that the gold belonged to him and “his people,” said St. Mary, whose work as a trader in rough diamonds has taken him to dangerous places with sketchy characters. Asked why the transaction would take place in Kenya, Mutombo said there was “too much shady stuff in Kinshasa” — Congo’s capital — and that Nairobi was closer to his village, St. Mary said. Mutombo was to supply both product and paperwork, and Lawal was to provide funds for the purchase and to cover expenses.

St. Mary was to evaluate the gold and find buyers.

“He had an answer for everything,” St. Mary said of Mutombo as they went through the details of the proposed deal.
    Whose gold was it?

At various points over the next two months, St. Mary thought the whole thing smelled fishy.

He said he encouraged Lawal to think twice about going through with it. But Lawal wanted to give the deal every chance, according to St. Mary, largely because Mutombo constantly reassured them it would all work out fine.

Though Mutombo and his family early on claimed the gold belonged to them, St. Mary actually found himself dealing with someone named Eddy Michel Malonga who claimed to be the real owner of the gold.

He also began to demand 40 percent up front. In late December, Lawal reluctantly turned over almost $4 million in cash, but only after getting a certificate of ownership and having the gold placed in a secure customs warehouse in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. A week later, Malonga — and the gold — disappeared. The purported customs facility was a sham.

St. Mary said he reported the missing gold and apparent swindle to Kenyan authorities, and Lawal sent his security team to trace Malonga’s movements, vowing to do what was necessary to “smoke him out.”

Malonga, feeling the heat, called and said the gold had to be moved and was now in Congo. The deal could still go through, but St. Mary would have to come to Goma with the rest of the cash to get it. A Nairobi lawyer hired by St. Mary and one of Lawal’s security officers flew to the city of 500,000 on Congo’s eastern border and confirmed the gold was there, apparently secure on a military base.

But was it worth the risk? Kenya offered relative safety and neutral authorities. Goma was the home turf of Gen. Bosco Ntaganda, a militia warlord under indictment from the International Criminal Court.

Mutombo was still pushing the transaction on Jan. 28, just a few days before the airport arrests, when he and St. Mary attended a celebration of CAMAC’s 25th anniversary at a huge private party at the Hobby Center. While Lawal was mingling with more than 500 local luminaries, Mutombo sought to allay St. Mary’s ongoing concern.

“He’s trying to assure me the whole night,” said St. Mary. “Just get this deal done, he says, and there will be much more. Kase finally tells me to be at his office at 11 the next day. When I get there, he asked me what I thought. I said it was a judgment call. I could see why you would want to salvage the deal if it is salvageable.”

One person got away

Lawal gave the go-ahead for his brother Mickey, a CAMAC executive in Nigeria, and St. Mary to fly to Goma. But because of the trouble and expenses, he was lowering Mutombo’s share to only 10 percent. When St. Mary relayed this news, Mutombo did not take it well.

“No, no, no,” he said, according to St. Mary. “This is the third time he has done this to me.”

Several days later, the deal went haywire on the tarmac in Goma. Armed soldiers were everywhere, as were bickering officers and government officials who apparently were arguing over where the bags of money would go. St. Mary lost contact with Mutombo and Malonga.

Curiously, the one man on the plane in Goma who was not arrested by government authorities along with St. Mary and the others was Reagan Mutombo. He drove away from the Gulfstream at the airport with Ntaganda’s soldiers.

“He’s Congolese and we’ll take care of him,” the warlord’s men said.

Almost a year later, St. Mary remains unclear precisely why the deal went south at the end. He has no more contact with Mutombo and does not know whether he ended up with any money. He is also estranged from Lawal, who has yet to publicly acknowledge any role in the debacle.

St. Mary said Mutombo, a Congolese hero so praised for his work on behalf of humanitarian causes in his homeland, was meeting with President Joseph Kabila in Kinshasa, ostensibly to discuss politics, at the moment the deal blew up. Because of the timing, St. Mary cannot help but wonder whether top government officials had been informed of the gold deal — or perhaps knew about it all along — or whether CAMAC’s jet and Lawal’s representatives were lured to Congo by design.

This St. Mary knows for sure: The last time he saw the gold, it was in a vault at the Central Bank of Congo. Ntaganda ended up with a considerable amount of Lawal’s money. The Congolese government presumably got the rest and at least $3 million in fines. And St. Mary ended up with nothing.

“I’m not sure what (happened),” he said, “but this was a calculated devious plan.”

mike.tolson@chron.com

tony.freemantle@chron

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-million-
gold-scam-only-now-coming-to-light/

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you read the story? This doesn't sound like Deke making a sound decision to hedge against inflation but a scam to rip off a major Houston business man.

If I recall the UN inspectors said they couldn't verify whether Iraq had WMD if that is what you are referring to but that is tangential so do you have any factual evidence to counter this report?

Considering that Congo has been a state of war for 20 years and warlords have used diamonds and other minerals to finance that war that seems like a pretty sound reason.

Or more likely this story paints him and his family in a very bad light and doesn't want to make things worse by saying something that could be incriminating.

I fully agree that people should read this logically but at the same time it sounds like you are also dismissing this because of bias regarding the UN and suspicion of fiat currency. I liked Deke a lot as a player and a person and I will welcome evidence that exonerates him. This story though can't just be dismissed out of hand though and does paint a pretty shady picture of him and his family.

1 person likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems like the gut reaction for most is 'Deke's a good guy; no way he'd actually be guilty here.' But, he might be. On the flip side, this might be an attempt but this other guy to implicate Deke to unload some of the blame and save his own skin.

Personally, I'll refrain from blaming or defending Deke. If he did something wrong, I hope the authorities will act accordingly. I'm not in a position to know what happened either way.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

unfortunately, to do business in Africa, at some point you will have to break some law.

Hope this doesn't get too dirty

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

We all know why Deke wanted some gold!

12. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

can't believe Lawal got taken in! Dude made his fortune operating in that region & still got took...hmm...

How to win at 3-card Monte? Don't play.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sucks if it's true.

14. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Bad advice. Go with ACTUAL precious metal...stocks won't get you anywhere when the financial Armageddon comes.

15. acjeitherocket

daaaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

what cold world we live in

16. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

The article is a little confusing, but if I understood it right they were buying 1045 lb of gold for $10.6 million, which is ~$700/oz while the market price is over $1600/oz. Why would anyone sell it that cheap if everything was legit and legal? I don't know how anyone invovled could have thought it was all above board.

Anyway, my guess is that it was all a scam and the sellers never intended to handover any gold. 1st they took $4 million and then smooth talked them into brinning another $6.6 million.

Question is, which side of the deal was Deke really on?

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I looked at canac website and this lawal guy likes to call himself Dr with a honorary doctorate. Who the Heck does that. I am guessing canac probably does a lit of shady things .

18. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Who's next, Yao?

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup gold has been so much better at storing wealth compared to stocks and bonds for the past century ....errrrrrrrrr maybe not. That being said I don't think the gold run is dead yet.

On the topic, I hope this isn't as bad as it seems for Dikembe.

20. zzpot

zzpot Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I smell a rat!!!! Does any one remember the story of John Delorean? Ever heard of a book called "Compromised"?

1.) 'So it was only natural that two State Department officials would meet with him in November 2010 as part of his effort to bring more attention to the bloody trade in conflict minerals.'

Were these two (USA) State Department officials? I don't think the Democratic Republic of Congo has a State Department. Or Nigeria for that matter.

2.) Less than two weeks later, according to a U.N. report, Mutombo was in New York — trying to interest a Houston oil executive in a $10 million deal to buy 1,045 pounds of gold from the mines of eastern Congo, the heart of the conflict mineral trade.

Does any one else smell the Bull Shyt boiling in the pot??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok lets go the other way for shyts and grins.

3.) Lets say that after all the years Mutombo put in trying to stop the conflict mineral smuggling he finally said, "FREAK IT"... "IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM JOIN THEM", and was already deeply involved in a deal to smuggle this gold out of Africa before the only natural visit from the two US State Department officials. You would call the visit just a coincidence right.

What if the visit was more like this "We know all about this deal and we will look the other way if you pull it off". "Mr. Mutombo you have a Green Light to go". Ever one involved is a winner winner chicken dinner and Mutombo would get to build more Schools and Hospitals, and continues his great humanitarian projects and noble causes. Some good people get money. Some bad people get money and the backers of the deal get some money.

It could happen right!!

Lets also say that the visit from the US State Department was just a coincidence and that Mutombo had not already been "Compromised" from some other thing, or that it was not a shady recruitment thing at all by US State Department officials, or that they are not the ones that masterminded the whole thing and showed Mutombo how to pull this off.

We will never know the full truth of what happened but like I said I smell a rat and there are very few coincidences in real life. Most people believe there is no such thing as a coincidence in story's like this.

4.) It is also a well known fact that parts of Africa rank at the top worldwide for Con-men and Scammers that steel Millions of dollars from smart people all the time and that the Governments of these areas are more than willing to let the Con-men go as long as they get a cut of the thievery.

5.) It is also a fact that the UN and the IMF (International Monetary Fund) are the most corrupt 'Official World Government Organizations to ever exist and I mean ever'!!!

I will let you make up your own mind on what you want to believe about all of this.

For me. I will stick to my words and say again.. "I SMELL A RAT!!!! "

zzpot. :cool: