1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslims in Germany demand the right to make the University of Berlin into a mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 27, 2016.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

didn't know that before, much respect

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No, no. You can't discuss the topic of this thread if you do not understand the difference between "part" and "whole". Not in a meaningful way at least.

Stop calling me an idiot, too. You're the one who doesn't understand elementary level sentence structure.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

what are you getting at here?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not taking a position on the prayer room in this thread. I am merely pointing out that the issue isn't turning the University into a mosque but rather protesting the closing of a prayer room that they have had for 10 years.

That's not a difference of semantics. That's a substantial difference.

If you disagree that's fine. There's nothing else to say then.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What are the laws in Germany? None of this would be even close to constitutional in the USA so I find it weird Americans defending it.

Even student led prayers without school sponsored facilities get dismantled by a conservative supreme court. I don't see the point. That battle toast.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

[​IMG]

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Deckerd made a good point.

#67 HR Dept, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

the video title in contention in this thread is ripped from a blog/video uploader that knows a hell of a lot about clickbait titles, and should be a cautionary tale about using the Internet as an authority:

http://vladtepesblog.com/

lol.

I see it as more of a style than a substance sort of thing though, I do not think it fitting that a multi-denominational prayer room violate Germany's constitutional laws, especially with regards to gender equity.

As for separation of church and state or mosque and state, I'm glad so many are taking the secular viewpoint on both. :)

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Kid - I was the one who first said that it should have said "part of" - it's an obvious exaggeration in the headline for effect. Do you really need someone to explain that to you again?

10. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

No you weren't, lol.

And it's called clickbaiting, which is probably why you posted it in the first pace.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes I was, lol. Post 25, then again in post 54.

So do you think the university should have to cave in to the demands of these protesters?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? Because I think a country has a right to demand that anyone coming into their community has to abide by the rules it has set forth, and if you don't like it, can be sent back to where they came from?

I think all these people - whatever their religion - are overly entitled and should be made to realize that they are LUCKY that Germany took them in, and if they don't like it, they are free to go back to where they came from and try to fix their own country.

DD

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Post #8 and #10 had already pointed this out.

I haven't found 1 news article regarding these demands, just your video which at the end has a bunch of Islamophobic websites and that the translation for the video was provided by some random person called Nash Montana (lol?)

The video says University of Berlin, but this has nothing to do with the University of Berlin (which, btw, has a room where people do pray).

The Technical University of Berlin is where this occurred, and they had shut down a place where Muslims had prayed for the last 50 years and stopped providing them access to the sports center where they held Friday prayers. After the last Friday prayer, they voiced their dissatisfaction (as the closest mosque is over an hour away). Are you against the German constitutional right to free speech, the Germany constitutional right to freedom of assembly? Surely these people are allowed to voice their displeasure. Even in the video you posted, I didn't see any demands. In fact, the majority of the signs were responses to the University's threat of having them arrested if they prayed.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nonsense. There are tons of mosques not far away.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/...d36688d81!4m2!1d13.3269446!2d52.5125322?hl=en

And that is irrelevant anyway.

What if the next church of the flying spaghetti monster is more than 10 hours away - does that mean that one could stage a demonstration DEMANDING a room to pray to the freaking flying spaghetti monster?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the U.S. public schools allow religious groups to use their space to meet. The Supreme Court has ruled on this: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92875&page=1

I don't necessarily agree with it, but you are wrong to say it is not constitutional.

16. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I went off this article (which is much more credible than just posting a video from known Islamophobes):
    http://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...y-of-berlin-shuts-down-its-50-year-old-masjid

Where did they demand anything? Even in your video there was no demanding of anything.

Are you saying they should not have congregated like that? So you are against the German constitutional right to freedom of assembly.

Are you saying they should not voice their dissatisfaction with having their prayer room removed after 50 years? So you are against the German constitutional right to freedom of expression.

Do you think it is valid for the university to threaten to have police arrest these people if they pray? So you are against the German constitutional right to freedom of religion.

Funnily enough, your clickbait thread title is flat out wrong and there continue to be a room for prayer at the University of Berlin.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There were missionary meetings and clubs of the sort at the highschool, college, post-grad, and professional school level for me. I think you have a poor grasp on the meaning of constitutionality, although when it comes to schools it is a gray zone and I would prefer religion not be allowed all together.

So in comparison to those host of activities... to muslims borrowing a room for a couple of minutes one day out of the week...you'd be a raging hypocrite to ignore all the other activities going on. Its been happening at every school here for a while, nobody makes a big deal about it and people do their business in private and go on with their routine.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I hear they have braille in some buildings nowadays, can't believe we turned those places into blind sympathizing institutes. Stupid *****ing PC libtards.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's jealous that DD is a superstar poster

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just don't like calling people who just escaped a civil war that none of us cozy Western suburbia individuals have experienced 'lucky' and entitled' In real life, I bet we are more entitled than most refugees. They just witnessed the worst that humanity has to offer. Kinda of cold harded to assume they are 'entitled'.