1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[msnbc] Astros an economic home run for McLane

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocket Fan, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

2. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Good thing they got a strong fan base now, cause they will hit a somewhat rebuilding stage soon. The youth should be well attached.

Clemens brings in a whole lot of money on his own, so hopefully he will stay a little longer.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd argue this past season was a "somewhat rebuilding stage." lots of young guys making huge contributions to get to the World Series.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I guess you have to ask the question, if you are owner, why keep the team. Because you are having fun? Probably not a good reason if you ask me. You can still root for and enjoy the benefits of having owned the team if you sell. You don't lose that. If the franchise value could perish then sell now while value is high. If it will only rise by 12% every year then yeah, hold onto that biotch. But if it is truly perishable (Which I have never heard of, cause all I ever hear is franchises selling for huge net gains) then sell it off.

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

This is a good sign in the sense that.. if all these profits etc go up from making a world series.. it may give him more reason to spend a little more with the thought of how a world series would increase revenues and team values...

you absolutely have to consider the value of the team. even if he did have some years of losing money.. when the team is sold he'll make a bundle even if it is sold for less than the projected value of the franchise..

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

a world series victory i mean...

7. Beenz

Beenz Contributing Member

does anyone know where I can out revenue/expenses information on the Astros, similar to this? I need this information for a paper I'm writing. I'm trying to find it for years 2004 and 2005.

---

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that info is all the juicy stuff in Drayton's "books" that he absolutely refuses to open up to anyone.

9. Beenz

Beenz Contributing Member

well this all should be public information, the only thing i found is from Forbes and from baseball reference; I'm trying to get my hands on the Atros financial statement.

10. Major

Major Member

The Astros are not a public company - their financial statements don't have to be made public. That said, you might be able to find some stuff here:

http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/data.htm

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more....this past year was certainly a rebuilding year...at least offensively.

12. msn

msn Member

Unless the company is publicly traded, there is no ethical, moral, or legal responsibility for the Astros to open their books for anyone (outside of a subpoena or an audit). The only moral or ethical issue here would be if the front office were lying about the financial position of the Astros or "cooking the books" to make it look like a loss of money, and I've read many Astros fans on these UBBs who have drawn that conclusion. Personally, I don't have enough information, and probably never will, to make such a judgment.