1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yep, I do, and thanks for not allowing me to avoid that stupid crap.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's 5 or 6 mil.

Keep him as the backup then cut him next year. As a backup he's not completely horrible.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh yes, only person on my ignore lisf

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/brock-osweiler-9867/

Brock has 3 years left, 1 guaranteed at 16 mil + 3 roster bonus. That's 19, plus the 2 years accelerated bonuses (where the base salary is no longer guaranteed)....25 mil to cut now, 6 mil to cut next year, 3 mil to cut in the final season.

There's the thing I think no one really grasps when they go on about "72 mil this and that".....he was NEVER going to make that money in 4 years. Either he would've been cut or he would be extended after the 2nd year to keep his bad salary from skyrocketing.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

You take the $6 mil hit after next year and cut him.

Otherwise you're looking at a $21mil cap hit

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

The problem with this plan was always that the best scenario was cutting him after year two. People said it's a good contract because it's only 2 years, but then you're assuming failure and wasting two years of watt, Hopkins, Clowney, brown etc.

And let's say Brock was average or barely above average and we want to keep him but not at his $20 mil cap hit for 2018 and 2019. Why would he agree to negotiate and take an average QB salary just because you extend him? As an average QB he wouldn't have to take any sort of cut.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2016-snap-counts.htm
    #1 most played CB? AJ Bouye, and a good bit of teams play as well. Beat Jackson by 1 snap on defense and Joseph by over 100. Also wayyyy out ahead in PDs, and 1 pick during the season but 3 total. Andre Hal played more than anyone in the secondary believe it or not, just interesting FYI.

Agreed on Cushing though, even though he still not the beast he once was his leadership and intangibles make up the lost foot speed. McKinney got exposed a bit last few weeks but I thought he played well. And really, in the talk of cap casualty I think Cush's contract is on more solid ground than I even knew. I actually thought it was his last year already!

8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

It's actually not a bad idea just that he tanked so hard it kinda became one. He made 12 this year and 16 next, I think average pay is somewhere around 10 so if he extended, started back at 10 but picked up 6 in signing bonuses that would've accelerated he'd have been happy with another 16 mil season, even if it dropped back down to "only" 12-13 mil for another season or two before the base salary inevitably increased again.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jonathan Joseph missed at least a game due to injury. His snap count is going to be less. I might be wrong but I feel like he was guarding the best WR for most of the season when he was healthy. At this point Bouye is better than Joseph. Absolutely no question there. If Joseph stayed I would want him as a #3 to Bouye and Johnson. The fact Hal played as much as he did is why I think this team needs to draft an actual safety. It might take a miracle but Jabril would be nice beside Demps and Hal can take Corey Moore's spot as the #3.

Cushing is not trying to go anywhere else. I think he will take a reconstructure if he had to.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

There is nothing that would back up a Joseph > Kareem statement. Not stats. Not eye ball test. Nada.
    Cush is still a productive player but I would agree that McKinney officially surpassed him this year, even with the rough end to the season. Need a coverage LB or safety hybrid no doubt about it, Cush and Bmack are the same type of player. I've stated before, I'd like to see Cush back on the strong side edge where he can go back to beating up TEs instead of having OGs beat him up. Where he only has to cover one side instead of both. Simon performed admirably but he'd be a great back up and welcomed addition to teams units.

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Joseph missed 3, bouye missed 1, Kareem missed 2. I don't think they follow receivers either, I think they stay on one side of the field right? I'm not trying to dog JJo either, just know with no guaranteed money left and an aging, regressing player he's probably gone with so many good young guys waiting.

Thing about Cushing is he really doesn't need to restructure, don't remember the exact terms but he's something like 5 mil next year. Not exactly 19 like some guys are gonna get lol

leave Cush be, give Joseph's salary to bouye and with wilforks 5 something mil coming off the books, you have room to add a safety. Demps too right? Even though hes a solid guy bringing in a big free agent probably means he's gone too.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know this was almost a year ago but:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-cornerback-groups/

8. Houston Texans
    Top CBs: Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Kevin Johnson

Key stat: Joseph recorded 16 pass defenses in 2015, second-most in the league.

After a torrid display against the Panthers in Week 2, Joseph rebounded with three pass defenses and only 24 yards allowed to the Bucs a week later, and he didn’t look back. Over the final 14 weeks of the season Joseph was the highest-graded corner in the league in coverage. While Kareem Jackson took a step back from his 2014 form, Kevin Johnson put in a solid rookie display to add to the overall strength of this trio.

13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

In 2015!!

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know if they followed this year but in the past they have. I really don't want to have to see Robert Nelson on the field at any point next season. Not even with injury. Bouye is going to bad massively paid and a lot of CBs regress after getting new contracts. Joseph will be the stabilizer in that DB room. I love Bouye and I'm really happy to see him finally play well. For a while he looked like he was just going to be a pre-season star and nothing else. With that said, money considered, if I had to pick between Bouye and Demps I would rather have Demps. He is cheaper and the drop-off between Demps and Moore is bigger than beteen Bouye and Johnson or Joseph. IMO

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know LOL didn't you see my disclaimer? It was a season ago. I just haven't seen anything to prove that Jackson has gotten better this year.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

KJ DIllon is back next season too, I thought he was looking decent before injury.

Bouye over demps for me.

17. Fantasma Negro

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It's not your trolling that bothers me.. I mean I don't understand it, but I saw the episode of South Park, I guess that's just how you get your kicks.. But it's that you are a Houston fan that is upsetting. Normally, I would like to playfully combat your dumb comments (especially when I'm bored at work) but you are a Rockets fan, so I have nothing to attack without attacking my same team.. You sir, are a God among men when it comes to trolling, you can troll all you want and no one can bash your teams because they are ours as well.

So I guess you win. I'll just sit back, imagine what your exciting day of snickering, wine, and hot pockets in your parents basement must be like, and hope Denmark finishes their Troll Trace soon.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just a quick reminder that you are doing the right thing.