1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Warcraft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Jul 12, 2015.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

Fair. As somebody at a completely different angle, the trailers did not really induce anything to me with regards to plot.

Do you want me to give the slightest insight to the basic conflict?

Which is why I mentioned to wait until after reviews. Trust me, we alllll remember the Hobbit :(

Well, maybe trust the reviewers then.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I realize you have personal investment in this movie, but I really don't need you to explain to me how to figure out whether I should see a movie or not. I've used the internet before.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

And I wasn't responding to you in regards to that.

Do I have personal investment? Only to hope it is successful enough to have sequels, I would guess. But you come to a thread (which has a sole purpose to discuss a movie) and say said movie is going to be ****, and literally only say that. Not only that, you provide no actual substance nor counterpoint. At least try.

You must be fun at parties.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Haha, you're fun. Very judgy there, aren't you?

I didn't say "this movie is going to be ****", what I said was "this movie looks like ****". It looks extremely run of the mill fantasy.

Frankly, I hope it's great. There's yet to be a really great video game to film translation in my opinion and, it would be fantastic if this were it. That is not the vibe I got from either trailer honestly.

If it's good, I will pay to see it. My previous statement stands however, it looks like ****.

You tell me, other than some of the motion capture -- what is this movie doing that is special? Is there any aspect of the story that I should expect to blow my mind?

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm not familiar with Warcraft or its universe. The trailers haven't "moved" me or anything but I will give it a chance. I think Duncan Jones is awesome.

Moon was amazing and Source Code was really fun.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I didn't realize this was the same director, I loved both of those movies. I also like Dominic Cooper, hopefully it's better than I expect.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've never played WoW, Starcraft, or any of its sort. All I know is the whole Leroy Jenkins thing. Is that the game this movie is based of?

Will I enjoy the movie if I don't play the game? A lot of the things will probably go right over my head.

1 person likes this.
  8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I appreciate that as a fan you are willing to go to great lengths to get non-fans like me to understand and perhaps even like the Warcraft world. So I'm willing to listen.

On a side note, as a moviegoer I view trailers from that perspective and with the advent of so much adapted material these days like comic books, graphic novels, etc. Many of which I have never been exposed to, I view a trailer and decide the merits of viewing the material solely based on what's in the trailer.

A great example of this is the original trailer for LOTR which did an excellent job selling the movie to people like me who had never picked up a Tolkien book before.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VIgkpEgCV-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That said I would like to give Warcraft the same chance but so far the trailer makes no sense for non-fans.

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

Same universe, but the strategy game before WoW.

I would wait for more reviews. Ideally, it is not supposed to.

Apologies for anything harsh. Extending an olive branch. Have a good day.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

International box office numbers are trending upwards. On pace for presale tickets to surpass Furious 7.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/73779347

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...n-pg-102-decent-cinemacon-reactions/?page=138

Furious 7 grossed about $390 million in China, the highest grossing foreign film.

Norwegian film critic:

https://twitter.com/Birger_Vestmo/status/735120343703158786

I, as well, do not think the two main trailers do not do full justice as well. But to understand the direction, I think this short clip from the movie kinda would sum up on a high level what is going on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JFgAnfjnCj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Considering I do know the story already, I am not trying to mention anything outside published material.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

definitely hyped to see that one

yeah, the trailers were not perfect, so what.

Probably not going to be a spectacle that I hoped it would be because I am more of a 'Thrall' guy (Orgrim and Durotan will do) and would have wanted to see more races
    (love Tauren, Jungle and Valley trolls)

At least I hope this would set up future installments.

Would like to see the box office revenues be where 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' was

They promised 'Game of Thrones' vibe but I guess the movie is not really adult material (might lack that crudeness)

Probably going to be 6 or 7 out of 10 (let it surprise me) :grin:

Loktar O'gar!

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

Movie has been released overseas. Mixed domestically, which includes one from Variety that just puts the film, WoW, and anything related on blast. Would love to see some movies that he has rated in the past.

However, overseas reactions are generally positive from critics. For example:

http://mulderville.net/critiques/4435/warcraft#mulder

I expected this with regards to the critics. I would not forsee very positive reviews from mainstream Hollywood.

I would take a 7, personally.

Also fwiw, I think in the Phillipines, the movie was given an R rating, but I don't know exactly what their standards are.

#92 jbasket, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thx for the links

Little surprised that the release dates are so early in some of the European countries

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

BTW y'all underestimate Warcraft Lore - those who only play StarCraft

Chris Metzen and Co. have done wonders in that department

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

not sure what is special to you personally

I always thought Warcraft and Warhammer's Orcs are much more Majestic

and Mighty than those orcs of LOTR and the Hobbit

and it might be the first time ORCS are portrayed as heroes, at least more positive than in the past

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would have killed for a Starcraft movie.
    Especially if they went with the SC1, SC: Brood War theme. Dark fantasy instead of the epic fantasy that Starcraft 2 turned into.

True that. SC, Diablo before D3, and Overwatch animated movie would be nice.

#96 RedRedemption, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What does this mean

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

While I feel like a lot of aspects of Starcraft has been done, I tend to agree that it would make the better movie.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

So that's the big saving grace for this movie? That Orcs are portrayed in a more positive manner? Hahaha, yeah this movie is screwed.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Errr, do I have to remind to remind you that there are enough markets internationally (huge fan bases in Europe, Asia and other parts)

This is no saving grace, all I am saying is, true that it will be a polarizing movie, no doubt

All it has to do is gross over 300 million overall

It has been out in France, Indonesia, Kuwait, Egypt and the Philippines

on its first day (mostly good reviews by the audience, mixed reviews from critics)

Will be out in most countries within 2 weeks

BTW Warcraft will be a precursor for making other Blizzard films so you better pray it will do good at the box office