1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jsingles

jsingles Member

What I considered to be a very dull movie up until this part, I thought Finn sacrificing himself would have really redeemed the movie. I was ready for him to die heroically but we were deprived of this.

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

agree with kamikaze finn. but a stupid nonexistent love story ruined that.

@ima_drummer2k made a very good point that finn and rey story line is very bland. would like to see rylo ken chop finn andpoe to pieces at the start of episode 9. then have the story about rey's revenge, only to be completely erased by rylo. then rylo kills himself in emo depression.

boom, no more skywalkers, no more memories of jedis and sith. just little broom boy being the next force-using protagonist without any jedi knowledge.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: Cloverfield Paradox demonstrated why the Mary Poppins scene could never happen.

Basically, @B-Bob saying she'd instantaneously freeze solid or explode due to gases escaping is apparently the way most scientists advise directors on these scenes.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The force. /fanboydefense

heypartner likes this.
  5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I really do not get all the hate for the movie. I really liked it. Couple of things I liked

1: I loved that it kept you on your toes. It was not predictable. That Poe's plan actually doomed them was great. In many instances they were leading up to something to go in a different direction. I like that. Sometimes things do not work out even if you are a hero
    2: Finns parents. I love that her parents were not important. it fits in the theme of the movie that who you are and where you come from do not have to be the same
    3: I like that the characters are not black and white (evil and good). Kylo Ren is not pure evil. I like his story arc. He is just a flawed person. I like this more mature interpretation of villains in movies (and books).
    4: I liked the story arc Luke had. Yes they saved the galaxy in the past, but that does not have to lead to a happy life. I liked the traumatized Luke who was filed with regrets.

People complained that FA was too much like the original trilogy. Now they went in another direction and people complain it is to different.

In general the movie was more mature than most star wars movies. Which I really liked. I liked the Originals, but to me they were far from perfect (especially 6 RotJ was not great).

Of course the movie was not perfect. I did not care for Finn's storyline, and that whole planet fell flat for me. So it is not a perfect movie, but I enjoyed it and I do not think it deserves all the hate it receives. It is not like this is a Michael Bay movie

Phillyrocket, Surfguy and Uprising like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Kylo Ren is pure evil. They've done an effective job coloring that evil - but he's evil. He's killed his dad, his "boss," he's ordered the killing of innocent people, he is aligned with an organization that has literally killed tens of millions of people...........

He's irredeemable at this point; "saving" him in E9, like Anakin in E6, would be, well, a blatant repeat of episode 6 (and thus, not terribly engaging) but also a betrayal of the work they've done with the character. The drama in E9 needs to focus on Rey's struggle with good/evil and how she ultimately defeats it.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I think this trilogy, as well as Rebels, have shown to some extent that seeing the Force as light vs dark, good vs evil, is a bit simplistic. Kylo is not pure evil. He's a very conflicted person who's hate is driven in large part by Luke's betrayal. Likewise, we see many moments where Rey taps into her raw emotions and anger. So i wouldn't mind seeing a final chapter that dispenses the notion that there has to always be a Jedi rising to meet Sith, good vs evil, light vs dark. Maybe true balance is embracing both sides.

mikol13 and Hey Now! like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i hope rey kills rylo in episode 9, then embraces the dark and kills everyone else in pure rage. the end of this trilogy should leave the galaxy in darkness and turmoil.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

double post is double.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not bad, not great. At 2h30m, it was too long. There was a lot of material to absorb.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’ve been watching all the movies (Chronological order). I have a lot of little wtf observances and I have no one literally no one to share them with as I’m not on social media.

Vice admiral hodo or whatever the purple haired lady who takes charge when leia is in a coma ... she doesn’t have natural purple hair, she’s human. No other human or human appearing character had abnormal colored hair. So she died it.

they’re in the middle of a fking war and getting their ass smacked and she’s wasting time dying her hair?!?!

K mf G, peleincubus and Xerobull like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well she would have looked silly sporting brown hair with a purple dress. Does not command the respect her rank deserves.

K mf G and Kevooooo like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Are you sure purple hair isn’t a natural human hair color in this universe? Did you check the carpet?

K mf G, runamok and No Worries like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When hair dies in space it turns purple dipshit.

K mf G and runamok like this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There are no other purple haired
    What’s purple dipshit?

Dyed*

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Also. Why the hell didn’t she do the light speed thing earlier if she was already sacrificing herself? DUMB purple haired lady was too worried about DYEING HER HAIR she couldn’t think straight.

what a travesty. Completely ruined the movie.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All part of The Plan....and wasting an hour of an almost 3 hr long movie

Kevooooo likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I feel like you should watch the Harry Potter movies in reverse chronological order next. In 10 minute blocks to be precise, starting with the last 10 minutes of the last movie.

ps Voldemort is bald to save time in the morning etc

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was rewatching every marvel movie today and noticed Thanos was blue in guardians of the galaxy. WTF

movies are completely unbelievable now.

Uprising, K mf G and Kevooooo like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

his color changes according to his mood. like those rings in elementary school

Uprising likes this.